blue
    94 Camaro

Question Electrical problems:

Hey All,

I have a few issues here. Its a 94 Camaro. I just replaced the ignition switch and the lock cylinder, I put everything back together and now i notice a few problems, dont know what it is and need suggestions. OK...

1. No turn signal (they dont work at all) hazards work though
    2. No high beams ( have low beams )
    3. A/c didnt work (i had to jump the fuse box to get it to work now it works without a key even in it.)
    4. Only 1 side of the fuse box is getting power checked wireing past firewall everything ok got power in front not in cab.
    5. Air bag light is on
    6. abs INOP light is on.

any suggustion here im lost... also about the turn signals and high beams i do have 2 springs that i dont remember where they go its a tiny spring almost the size of a pen spring and a bigger one about 3/8 by 1 inch,

thank you any help greatly appreciated!!!

Alternator going bad?

blue
    94 Camaro

no its good. the service engine soon light is coming on once in awhile now since i changed the ignition switch. but it will come on 5-10 min after starting sometimes then other it will not come on at all.
    Last edited by Camaro1994; 10-03-2009 at 03:17 PM.

white
    01 formula

since you changed the ign switch then you started having the problems i would say something in that area would be the problem. givin the fact that the switch for the blinkers and the high beam switch is in the column with the tumbler and your ac wont get power if the ignition switch isnt giving it power. first question is the ignition switch the right one? i know its kinda a dumb question but even autozone makes mistakes. is it plugged in correctly? did any wires get pinched or broken when installing

blue
    94 Camaro

Arrow

Let me run you through everything i did and what happened. This may be kinda long cause im not real good at explaining things.

I tried to turn the car on and the key wouldnt turn at all. I got frustrated after 10 min and forced it to turn, when i did nothing happened car got power but didnt turn over. Thought it was the lock cylinder.

I got the lock cylinder from advanced. I pulled the air bag out, the steering wheel, removed snap ring and removed air bag coil, removed retaining ring and the lock plate, removed hazard knob, removed cancel cam assembly, removed the turn signal arm screw and mounting screws, removed turn signal switch (round part in column), removed buzzer switch and clip, removed the lock cylinder and replaced it. Turns out that wasnt even the problem.

then dropped the steering column. Removed the 3 screws holding the ignition switch and high low beam switch, removed the rod going into high low beam switch. unpluged the wiring plugs going into the high low beam switch and the 2 plugs going into the ignition switch. Remove the cable going into the ignition switch.

replaced ignition switch and put everything back together in the reverse order i just explained. when i was down i still have the 2 springs left over. 1 is about the size of a spring in a ink pen, the other 1 is about 3/8 by 1 inch.

The car started and ran good but then i notice the other problems that were not there before.

1st the air bag light

2nd the service engine light

3rd not turn signals ( hazards work fine)

4th no high beams ( i can reach under and click the switch by hand not with handle.

5th a/c didnt work

6th abs inop light is on

7th one side of the fuse block in cab has no power.

now to fix the a/c problem i jump it in the fuse box. only problem is that when i did this now when i turn the car off and remove the key the a/c stays on until i turn the knob to off.

Any help or suggestion with this will be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

blue
    94 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by fieropope View Post
    since you changed the ign switch then you started having the problems i would say something in that area would be the problem. givin the fact that the switch for the blinkers and the high beam switch is in the column with the tumbler and your ac wont get power if the ignition switch isnt giving it power. first question is the ignition switch the right one? i know its kinda a dumb question but even autozone makes mistakes. is it plugged in correctly? did any wires get pinched or broken when installing
    yes it was the same one that was in there i brought it down with me. The switch for the blinkers is in the column but the high beam is on the column under the dash near the firewall, uses the same 3 screws to hold both ignition and high switches. Ive looked everywhere for a broken and twisted, pinched wires nothing everything LOOKS (so to speak) fine.

Thread Information