Electrical issues

This is a discussion on Electrical issues within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Hello all, I'm new to this site, its been great looking around a bit. I have a 2001 Trans am ...

wake forest nc

Electrical issues

Hello all, I'm new to this site, its been great looking around a bit.
    I have a 2001 Trans am WS6. I'm having some electrical issues and let me start by saying I don't know squat about anything electrical.
    One issue I have is that when u drive the car at night I can notice that the interior dome light and the headlights are pulsing. Some times its worse tHan others. I've read it could be a bad ground somewhere or needs a new alternator. The second problem is that I have one high beam that's not working. I know the bulb is fine. I put a meter in the hi beam plug and its seems to be getting power. Again I've read this could be a ground issue. Again, I suck at anything electrical so any help in lay mans terms would be much appreciated.

Jefferson City, MO

Navy Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 Conv

Your guesses at the cause of your problems sound very likely. Could be a weak alternator, or issues with connections between battery, alternator, and ground. I would definitely start by looking at anything that appears to have been modified since new (lighting, stereo, etc). If you want to tackle it on your own, step one is to get a good service manual (factory 3 book set will run about $120) and a decent quality multimeter and you can probably figure it out given time and patience. Otherwise, you may want to find a good mechanic and provide a detailed list of all of the problems you have noticed then open your wallet really, really wide and see if you chose a good mechanic.

I can't over emphasize that doing your own electrical work absolutely requires a copy of the factory wiring diagram, patience, tools, and a little education. Here is a link to an article that will give you a little bit of an idea what you will be getting into Matco Tools Parasitic Drain Tester and Low-Current Probe . You can do it, but to be successful your best bet is to use the diagnostic steps listed in the service manual and check each system until you find the problem or problems. Electrical gremlins are some of the toughest things to chase down and often run in little groups so that you have several points of failure that need to be addressed to fix the problem entirely.

If you take a look at the other thread in this section about interior lights, you can see where I posted copies of several pages from the factory service manual. That will give you an idea of how helpful they can be at diagnosing different problems.

Good luck!

Super Moderator
    Mansfield, PA

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

^^ This. Sounds like an alternator issue, but could also be a bad or broken ground connection somewhere. Grounds are easy to spot as they are always wires bolted to the metal chassis. They need to be secure and have clean metal-to-metal contact. Rust or other corrosion can impair the electrical connection. There is also a ground on the back of the driver side head that is a pain to get to it. You can reach around and touch it with your fingers to see if it is tight. Usually it is fine unless someone has removed the secondary air setup as the bolt also secures a bracket for the solenoid and valve assembly.

Welcome to the site!

Thread Information