Thread: Egr - Free Mods

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28

Egr - Free Mods

I have done some of the free mods on www.installuniversity.com
    However, I am not sure about cutting the egr pipe/tube. I was wondering if there are any adverse affects from doing this? Does the EGR system function properly and are there any problems with the engine running hotter? What has your results been? Thanks!

414 RWHP 395 RWTQ
    00 Black Ram Air Trans Am

This is one "Free" mod that I don't see the purpose of, besides cleaning up the engine bay. What can you REALLY gain from it? The guy who installed my headers(reputable sponsor on Tech site) said it's a worthless mod as far as gains.

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28

Thanks for the reply. I don't know how it could clean up the engine bay...unless you thought I meant gutting the egr system. I am talking about cutting the egr tube/pipe that enters the intake manifold. It is supposed to allow more flow.

My buddy did it to his car - didn't notice any difference. His car is fine but he bent the pipe doing it and got an SES light because it didn't seal properly...had to rebend the pipe a little, reinstall the pipe and then clear the code.

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Cutting it won't do anything. Taking the entire system will clean up the engine bay. The main advantage is it makes changing plugs and working in the engine bay A LOT easier. If you're really picky about weight savings it will shave off about 5lbs.

I took the entire egr and air off just to clean up the engine bay and make things easier to work on.

414 RWHP 395 RWTQ
    00 Black Ram Air Trans Am

Yeah as stated above it takes all the tubing out if you remove everything associated with the EGR out. As far as gains, good luck with any, the hassles seem to outweigh the pros here. Also as stated above it can kink, cause an SES light and other headaches which aren't worth it in the long haul.

redls1bird
    if im not mistaken, i thought the egr mod was only on the 98 99 with the egr tube that hung down into the throttle body? just trimming it flush so its not in the airstream? most free mods arent going to give you significant gains, but set you up for later changes.

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by redls1bird
    if im not mistaken, i thought the egr mod was only on the 98 99 with the egr tube that hung down into the throttle body? just trimming it flush so its not in the airstream? most free mods arent going to give you significant gains, but set you up for later changes.
    Correct. But its also for a 2000 and it actually hangs down from the intake.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Cut that baby! It does restrict flow a little. However, you likely will not notice a gain on a stock motor, but you definitely will on a modded one. Or you could wait until you start doing some serious moddin' and get rid of it and the AIR system all together.

SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

The mod does have a legitimate purpose, whether or not it makes enough difference in power is just something to be debated by those who feel they have nothing better to do, lol. The EGR recirculates air from the exhaust into the intake. Obviously this portion of the air entering the cylinders to be burnt in the combustion does not contain any oxygen to aid in the combustion process. The thought behind cutting it is to allow more room for ouside air containing oxygen, therefore helping make more power. Hope that explains it, it really is a mod that makes sense in theory.

Black
    2013 Coupe

Cutting the pipe is "supposed" to help airflow in the intake.
    It falls under "every little bit helps" mod, just like the smooth bellow & the TB grinding to make it open just a bit further.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

I cut the EGR on my 2000 Z28. Certainly no SOTP difference. IIRC, it simply gets the EGR pipe out of the air flow behind the throttle body. Less turbulence, smoother delivery to the cylinders. It has to help from a theoretical standpoint but it isn't enough, on its own, to make a big difference. It's so easy (unless you cut the pipe at the wrong spot like I did ) that you might as well do it.

Thread Information