Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

eeek!

This is a discussion on eeek! within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by 0rion that's why I always recommend checking voltage back there. Might have caught it...maybe. 1hr 10 min ...

Black on black.
    2001 WS6 M6 (stock)

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    that's why I always recommend checking voltage back there. Might have caught it...maybe. 1hr 10 min is damn good for that job. It takes me that long to bring the cooler of beer out to the garage and get the car on stands.
    Voltage was fine. We checked it all the way back. It was a bad ground that was the issue

Either way, I was damn shocked that it was due to a loose ground that GM caused when they stripped out the body hole with the ground screw at the factory under my driver-side seat. Meh, this is why GM has such a bad reputation with everyone I know. We fixed it with a Toyota screw (fine thread, works a LOT better in thin stuff like body metal. Maybe GM is taking notes?)

Silver & Black
    '98 Z28!

ok, first, yea i was considering putting a salvagfe yard pump in, lifetime warranty blah blah, should i not?

and ok, i've checked my fuses, finally got my damn bank card so going to get the mallet and a tester today, where is the relay at, a guy at classic chevy said he didnt know exactly but it was left side somewhere... he was very very vague... any clue where its at?

sorry to be such a bother but my car abilities up until this car went into spark plugs and oil changes, and that was on my dads truck, im kinda dumb but im learning.. guess thats what first cars are for, ohh well, thanks again for any tips, if this was a city forum i'd invite you all over for a beer or twenty!

Black on black.
    2001 WS6 M6 (stock)

Quote Originally Posted by Paque View Post
    ok, first, yea i was considering putting a salvagfe yard pump in, lifetime warranty blah blah, should i not?

and ok, i've checked my fuses, finally got my damn bank card so going to get the mallet and a tester today, where is the relay at, a guy at classic chevy said he didnt know exactly but it was left side somewhere... he was very very vague... any clue where its at?

sorry to be such a bother but my car abilities up until this car went into spark plugs and oil changes, and that was on my dads truck, im kinda dumb but im learning.. guess thats what first cars are for, ohh well, thanks again for any tips, if this was a city forum i'd invite you all over for a beer or twenty!
    DO NOT! buy a used pump. That is, unless you are the kind of guy who flips his boxers and goes another day to save money on detergent.

un-clip EVAP tube, fuel lines, and all electronics from the tank
    Remove the gas cap
    remove plastic insert by undoing the 2 screws and the right side snaps out
    remove fender insert/mudguard by left of tank
    remove track bars from rear end
    un-bolt clamp at the back of your Y-pipe
    un-bolt the exhaust hangers at the rear
    un-bolt the 2 heat-shields by the gas tank
    un-bolt the 2 straps holding the tank in(at this point she is free!)
    set tank on ground
    take off connections going to pump
    take screwdriver and hammer and pound the connector counter clockwise (you will know what I am talking about when you see it).
    remove pump and gasket
    lube gasket
    use contact grease on all contact pins

REVERSE OPERATION.

I belive this covers most of it. You will have a TIGHT fit between the tank and exhaust, but you should make it. I did on my WS6 with stock exhaust.

Silver & Black
    '98 Z28!

ok, finally got my paycheck, ok, where is the relay? some GM head tech or whatever said he didnt know but that it was a black box left side... im going to by a cont tester and mallet today, lets hope its that

Silver & Black
    '98 Z28!

ALRIGHT! almost done,...well, just starting

ok, cut some prelim holes in metal with a friend (finally got part) we nicked what seems to be a tube strapped to another tube going from what appears to be the pump assembly, its the smaller of the two, we think its the return line, is it? and since its nicked and has to be replaced, will regular fuel line work or do we gotta get a special line? also, it runs to a black box behind my driver side back wheel, wtf is that box? its empty and light atm, do the disconnect in there?

need help with info, please and thanks again!

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

Sounds like you nicked a vapor line. This will not be high pressure. You need to use vapor resistant hose to repair it, go to a good auto parts store for this (like NAPA or Carquest type stores-not Autozone). Not sure how you managed to do this but w/e. Not a huge problem to fix from the sounds of it. That box is the vapor recovery system OBDII thingy. Don't worry about it-just make sure you repair the line or you will set a code that will be a bitch for anyone to figure out later (read 'expensive to pay someone else to figure out what you screwed with'). You got the pump in yet?

Silver & Black
    '98 Z28!

doing that here in a few, following smyths comment and all, keep ya guys upto date

Silver & Black
    '98 Z28!

ok, got the pump and line replacement. cut is made, not awesomely clean but not to shabby for an air compressor and nibbler. checking wiring now and all, testing new pump also. wish me luck!

Silver & Black
    '98 Z28!

ok, new pump in and shes runs. test drives coming up, i got a question, whats the gas tank size on a 98 camaro Z28? i heard 18/19, that right?

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

Without looking it up I remember it being 16 gallons. I've never had the guts to run it below 14.5 or so to fill it back up. Don't ever run an electric fuel pump dry!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information