white
    1999 Trans am WS6

ebrake lever snapped up when pulled but still works

I was coming home and backed into my driveway. Was pulling the lever up so I could go get my garage open and the lever just went crack and snapped all the way straight up with a twang sound. Thinking I broke the cable I tested if it still gripped.

It does. Brake still seems to work well.

Friend outside the car heard the twang and figured I snapped it too. But works. I don't see anything wrong but ill need to jack her up to see for sure.

Does the lever have some kind of safety or something? I mean I yanked it hard but never had that happen without something breaking lol.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Does it release the E break though?

You're going to have to get it up in the air for you to trace the e break cable. About mid way of the body there is...kinda hard to describe it...a mechanism that the cable connects to. It has a spring and a latch to it (Again hard to describe) Then the cable continues to the rear axle and on to the e break.It will be located in the tunnel on the drivers side of it.

Need to check this. It can get wore or rusted over the years. I'll see if I can find a pic of what I'm talking about.

white
    1999 Trans am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    Does it release the E break though?

You're going to have to get it up in the air for you to trace the e break cable. About mid way of the body there is...kinda hard to describe it...a mechanism that the cable connects to. It has a spring and a latch to it (Again hard to describe) Then the cable continues to the rear axle and on to the e break.It will be located in the tunnel on the drivers side of it.

Need to check this. It can get wore or rusted over the years. I'll see if I can find a pic of what I'm talking about.
    Thank you.

It does release it as I was on a very slight incline and started to roll. Engaging it caused it to grip and stop suddenly, while releasing it resumed the roll.

I'm going to jack it up to make sure both stop spinning/spin freely etc.

The spring/latch thing makes sense, I find it very strange that it made such a loud noise, complete with twangy cable snap sound without actually breaking anything. Yet now it feels all the same and normal.

The irony of it was I just came from a car show with some of my friends who have fords that aren't running or have broken things where I was giving them crap for it. Came home and the above happened. Karma's a beast. :P

Silver
    1999 Trans-Am, 2012 Sonic

This has happened to me a few times the lever must have a release if you pull it to far mine came straight up like yours but put it back down and its just fine.... Like me after this happens a time or two you will learn to be gental....Lol, if you ever pull the center out to get to the shifter you have to release the lever with a screw driver so it is straight up it has a gear with a cam stop....

Thread Information