Easiest way to install daytime running light housing

This is a discussion on Easiest way to install daytime running light housing within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Can anyone tell me the easiest way to change out the daytime running lights housing out. I bought some from ...

Navy Blue
    ls1 trans am

Easiest way to install daytime running light housing

Can anyone tell me the easiest way to change out the daytime running lights housing out. I bought some from ebay and want to know the easiest way to get to the two back screws. Also does anyone know if it is possible to change the front lens out if it is cracked?

LS1 Noob

Red
    2000 WS6

There's really no point in trying to replace just the lenses. The housings must be taken out by accessing the back side of the housing and taking out the two screws. If you look under the car and directly under the housings, you'll see a panel with two 10mm screws. Remove the two screws and the panel will swing down and away. Look up into the now exposed area and you'll see the two screws (I think they may be 8mm). Unscrew the socket and remove the two screws. You'll have to lift the housing up and away from the bracket that holds them in place.

Actually, I just received two new housings in the mail this afternoon. I've sealed the outside edge with silicon and will install them after they've dried. That should keep the inside of the housings pretty dry.

Marc
    '00 WS6 (A4): Hotchkis STB, UMI SFC, UMI LCA, UMI PHB, Volant CAI, LPW Girdle and stud kit, Stainless Works Chambered catback, Bauer TB & by-pass

Navy Blue
    ls1 trans am

I believe mine were cracked on the front lens and water came in. One of the ones I bought off of ebay has minor cracks in them but Im not sure if they are all the way through. Thats why I was wondering.. any suggestions on how to fix that problem? thanks

Dark blue metallic
    2000 TransAm

Quote Originally Posted by JehalinTA
    I believe mine were cracked on the front lens and water came in. One of the ones I bought off of ebay has minor cracks in them but Im not sure if they are all the way through. Thats why I was wondering.. any suggestions on how to fix that problem? thanks
    Permatex makes a flowable silicone sealant for windshields and other problems like that. You put the silicone into or above the crack/leak and it seeps in by itself. It's clear, too. I'd get some of that, put it around the cracks and let it seep in, then carefully wipe off the excess. Let it cure for 24 hours before you install the lenses.

LS1 Noob

Red
    2000 WS6

My passenger side turn signal/DRL bulb was blowing consantly. As I was checking the housing around the lens for cracks, I noticed a verticle crack right down the face of the lens (dead center). I also found the same kind of crack on my driver side lens.

The cracks were around a 1/16", so I figured I'd just replace the entire housing instead of trying to fix them. I found that gmpartsdirect had replacement housings for $24 each. Ordered them and they came in about a week later.

If you're dead set on using the existing housings, I'd suggest using the method Fastcar mentioned or getting that film they use to protect headlights from stone chips and such. I forget what they call it, but I installed some of that stuff on some foglights I had on my Grand Prix and it works pretty good. That would seal up the gap and protect the lenses from further damage. You can find that film just about anywhere that sells clear or invisible bra film. I've seen it on eBay for pretty cheap.

If you go the film route... I'd also suggest cleaning the gap between the housing and lens and then sealing it with silicon. That'll keep water from getting inside the housing.

Marc

Thread Information