Orange
    01 Trams Am

is e85 better than regular pump gas

what do you have to change on an LS motor to run E85. Do you actually gain more HP when running E85 over 92 octane is it worth doing? I am going to have the motor in my car rebuilt this winter and would like to run E85 maybe.

Black
    2003 Z06 Corvette

is e85 better than regular pump gas

Don't know for sure, But Remember reading that the computer in the car needs to be reprogramed for it,
    I was going to run propane in my truck when Gas hit $3.00 a gallon because I was getting propane delivered to my house for $1.80 a gallon at the time and probably could have found it for alot less, Propane has an octane rating of between 105 & 110 depending on which book you read, which means you can run more compression which= More Ponies propane burns much cleaner as well

I am interested to hear from someone who has more info on this subject as well that's why I'm Stoppin in, By the way do you know the octane rating of E85 ???

Also do a Toluene search on Google it may give you more to think about

Bon

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

E85 while having more octane then regular gas and being cheaper has many set backs. It burns much dirtier thus you need more oil changes/or sooner changes and the engine gets dirty. E85 is corrosive to our fuel lines and system meaning you have to do quite a bit of work to get E85 to run safely in our cars without messing shit up. You will also need a new tune to run it to its max potential. Is it worth it......I don't think so
    ┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

Man: The Mods you are fighting,
    they are the biggest Men I have ever seen. I
    wouldn't want to fight them!

Me: That is why no one will remember your name!

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Lower mileage.
    Costs just a little less per gallon.
    Several fuel system upgrades needed to run it.
    Octane is like 104 or something, but unless you are tuned to take advantage of that, it is worthless.

I run pump gas and have no plans on changing that anytime soon.
    2008 Trailblazer SS
    Yank PTB3600, Kooks 1 7/8" LT's, 4" intake, E-fans, Magnaflow, Sonnax kit, tranny cooler, tune.
    Lowered, HID's, tinted.

1999 Pontiac Trans Am WS.6 #1747 SOLD
    531.1 RWHP 481.3 FT/Pounds all motor.

Red
    02 Trans Am T-tops M6

heres something they dont tell you about e-85

There is no upper cylinder lubrication and it also need you to add a upper cylinder lubracant each fill up which means cheaper gas / dirtier burning gas it smells like corn and talk about a but load of tuning and replacing your entire fuel system,and new injectors if you havent already done it . if u have a couple of grand laying around go at it!!! and yes i have seen first hand what e-85 smells like burning corn makes me hungry now
    Last edited by 402 Guru; 11-17-2009 at 12:45 AM.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

E85 is'nt even available in my end of PA. No one carries it.. You maybe able to get from commercial stations that sell fuel for heavy road use vehicles, but that requires an acount with those particular stations.. I'll stick to 93 as long as I can. E85 is garbage anywhy..
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Red
    02 Trans Am T-tops M6

just another way for the (GM) the new (G)overnment (M)otors to push running corn in our cars stay far far away unless you have a 5 second drag car and u like swaping engines Inbetween runs like the magnesium engine blocks that

Impulse Blurr
    2004 GTO

Being in the fuel bizz I'll tell you this. It will eat your fuel system alive. You will also need bigger injectors and a tune to run on it. It's only worth it if you're running 13 to 1 compression or already have a flex fuel vehicle. Although it has a higher anti knock rating the energy potential in it is lower than petroleum based fuel. This is to say that although it will run in a much more radical engine setup the fuel mileage is for shit. This will offset the cost savings and possibly cost the same per mile gallon or worse if you aren't set up right. Long story short . . . it's not worth it . . . yet.
    The post about the cylinder lubrication is correct also. Flex fuel vehicles have the proper metallurgy and seals/ fuel lines ect that are resistant to ethanol's particular type of corrosive properties.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Z28 Hardtop

Quote Originally Posted by Goat-E View Post
    Being in the fuel bizz I'll tell you this. It will eat your fuel system alive. You will also need bigger injectors and a tune to run on it. It's only worth it if you're running 13 to 1 compression or already have a flex fuel vehicle. Although it has a higher anti knock rating the energy potential in it is lower than petroleum based fuel. This is to say that although it will run in a much more radical engine setup the fuel mileage is for shit. This will offset the cost savings and possibly cost the same per mile gallon or worse if you aren't set up right. Long story short . . . it's not worth it . . . yet.
    The post about the cylinder lubrication is correct also. Flex fuel vehicles have the proper metallurgy and seals/ fuel lines ect that are resistant to ethanol's particular type of corrosive properties.
    Good Argument. Some of the same things I tried to tell my aunt before she bought a new Mountainer. That vehicle gets worse mileage than the non-E-85 capable version.

Impulse Blurr
    2004 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by Z28_Driver View Post
    Good Argument. Some of the same things I tried to tell my aunt before she bought a new Mountainer. That vehicle gets worse mileage than the non-E-85 capable version.
    The key word in this was "Yet". As the production of ethanol increases the cost of doing so should also decrease whereby making it less expensive at the pump. Also as the technology improves the fuel mileage should improve also. This should not take long IMO. The real factor here is gaining energy independence and no longer putting money into the pockets of the middle eastern countries that hate our guts. Another factor is that we make ethanol from corn which isn't as cost effective or efficient as some other sources. This ties into politics and the corn industry as well as Archer Daniels Midland corporation which is deep into the pockets of politicians. Other countries are using sugar, switch grass and sugar beet which are much more effective sources. Brazil has been energy independent for years now. I don't care what fuel it is as long as I get to transport it :-) $$$$$$$ Bio diesel would make my job a lot safer and probably extend my life due to the lack of chemical carcinogens and combustible volatility. But what do you guys care? As long as it goes fast right? Peugeot is entering a bio diesel hybrid in LeMans racing next year and Audi has been running diesels for the past 2 or 3.
    PS I would think you should be able to turbo boost the living hell out of an ethanol car due to it's high octane/anti knock properties. Ethanol also likes to run at a higher temperature whereas gasoline likes to be cool.
    Last edited by Goat-E; 11-20-2009 at 08:07 AM.

Thread Information