Navy
    2000 Z28 M6

DRL Anyone Performed This?

The following is from another site on how to disable the DRL feature. Anyone attempted this fix?
    97+ Disable DRLs and Automatic Lights

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a great mod for anybody who does not like their DRLs (Daytime Running Lamps) on any 1997-2002 F-Body. When doing this mod, your lights will no longer come on automatically when it gets dark anymore either. You will now be in control of when you want to have your headlights on and off by using your light switch. The only downfalls to this mod, which doesn't really matter, is that BRAKE light will no longer come on for you M6 guys anymore, and your power hatch may not opperate with the car running, but it still operates normally with the car off.

Here are the steps to disable the DRLs:

1.) First disconnect your batteries negative terminal. Note: If you have your theftlock on be sure to disable it.

2.) Remove the bezel/trim piece that surrounds the radio by pulling it straight out. It will come, a little force may be required.

3.) Next remove the radio. It has 3 9/32 bolts that hold it in. Some radios may have 4 bolts.

4.) Now just set the radio aside or have somebody hold it up for you. There is no need to unplug it.

5.) Behind the radio, on the firewall, there is the DRL module. It is a small black box about the size of a deck of cards or so. To gain access to this just pull it straight up off of the firewall.

6.) There are 2 connectors that go into the module; a blue connector and a black connector. The blue connector is the one that needs to be removed. Just unplug it, wrap the connector with electrical tape, and just let it hang and forget about it.

7.) Now you are finished. Before you put everything back together, attach your battery and start your car. Make sure that the DRLs are off. If they are still on, you removed the wrong connector.

All you need to do now is slide the DRL module back onto the firewall, and install the radio and the bezel.

black
    2000 trans am

I just performed this mod, and have been unable to find any negative effects. I just had to replace both front turn signal sockets because the DRL's literally melted them, so I am really glad to have found a mod to eliminate them being on all the time. The module is just as described, took me maybe 2 minutes to do. If I have any problems later on, I'll post them.

Black
    98 Trans AM

I would assume youl never had any problems since with the DRL fix did you?

Sport Gold Metallic
    98 z28...sold

i was gonna do it this way but read somewhere that your turn signals wouldn't work. so i did the one with the resistor swap.

black
    2000 trans am

Nope, I haven't had any problems since.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

I did this DRL disable because I have a manual and I wanted my power hatch release to still work.
    http://xse.com/leres/ss/drl.html

black
    02 vette vert

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    I did this DRL disable because I have a manual and I wanted my power hatch release to still work.
    http://xse.com/leres/ss/drl.html
    thats the one i was checking out cuz pa state inspection requires the brake warning light to work. i take it there are no ill side-effects? i was also thinking what to use for the jumper, seems too dainty for a multi-stranded wire, but i havent pulled it out yet to check it out

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

No ill effects at all. Everything works.
    I didn't use a wire, I made a soldier bridge across the 2 soldier connections. There pretty close together, its easy.

Black
    2001 Trans-AM WS6

I'm looking at this fix http://xse.com/leres/ss/drl.html

Specifically the section about stuffing a wire in the ambient light sensor, do they mean any type of wire like a speaker wire, it's not very specific.

I don't care about the marker lights but since I have a Canadian Trans-Am I want to save my headlight motors.

Black
    98 Trans AM

I am doing the 1 click handbrake thing. I figure it's only about a half hour to 45 minutes that this is actually a problem for me (at dusk). During that time I can deal with the brake light. After this time period, you need your headlights on anyway..and before this time period they don't come on. Works for me. Beats fooling around with electrical and screwing something up anyway. Already learned my lesson on that one with the steering wheel controls... WARNING...Do not attempt soldering of a circuit board that is not bigger than your thumb if you have no experience.
    Last edited by Blackbandit; 04-17-2009 at 11:32 AM.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Quote Originally Posted by amon37 View Post
    I'm looking at this fix http://xse.com/leres/ss/drl.html

Specifically the section about stuffing a wire in the ambient light sensor, do they mean any type of wire like a speaker wire, it's not very specific.

I don't care about the marker lights but since I have a Canadian Trans-Am I want to save my headlight motors.
    Any wire will do. Even a paperclip will work.

Thread Information