Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

Driver's Side Steering Linkage Shaft Install

What up LS1's......OK gentleman my driver's side (bottom) steering linkage for whatever reason will not hook up unto its intended location.......I mean is this suppose to be difficult to set back on?????? Are you suppose to install the bolt a ways and then try???? I don't understand why it will not connect......and there is no obstructions in the way preventing it from hooking up. Additionally, does this bottom linkage seat ALL THE WAY DOWN on the hook up location??? When you look into the shaft there is an opening that looks like it SHOULD fit right over....but mine isn't budging........... It is driving me crazy yall!!!

Thanks in advance.......

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

ORION where you at my brotha?????? I'm patiently awaiting your award winning expertise..

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

there is a bolt you'll have to losen on the top part of the linkage from above the car... that wil allow you to move it in to position... that is if we're talking about the same part (the actual shaft rom your steering wheel to the linkage)...

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    there is a bolt you'll have to losen on the top part of the linkage from above the car... that wil allow you to move it in to position... that is if we're talking about the same part (the actual shaft rom your steering wheel to the linkage)...
    Thanks for the reply Spaz.......So you are saying I need to loosen the TOP bolt of the steering linkage in order for the BOTTOM bolt/linkage to fit on????? Let me know.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

is this your stock rack or a replacement rack? and are you talking about the shaft fitting onto the rack? I've never had my rack out but the ones I have had out can be a pain in the ass to deal with. I would go with Spaz's advise since he's had his out. If it's a replacement rack it's very common for people to get the wrong rack.

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    is this your stock rack or a replacement rack? and are you talking about the shaft fitting onto the rack? I've never had my rack out but the ones I have had out can be a pain in the ass to deal with. I would go with Spaz's advise since he's had his out. If it's a replacement rack it's very common for people to get the wrong rack.
    It's the OEM Rack. I find it odd that the bottom linkage fitting will not hook up. I'll take Spaz's advice and see if this yields any results. This linkage is holding up the final pieces of my overhaul install!!!! (just have the Y-pipe, Sway Bar left (also need to bleed the brakes-which I'll be starting momentarily).......WHAT a long road..........

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

Okay Spaz with the top bolt loosened it certainly moves more freely and seems easier to maneuver but still wont slide on. Did you have to use a hammer or something to tap it into place???

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

A hammer or pry bar may help you get it back on.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

ok... did you replace the steering rack??? if you did you might have got the wrong rack... there are 2 (i think) different rack for our cars... the code for the right rack will be on your drivers side door sticker... other than that i'd use a rubber hammer to tap it in place (you won't hurt anything)...

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

OK.......Got it on!!!!!! Late last night things finally hooked up. I will say this guys, attention to detail is vital when re-installing parts on our vehicles especially if your doing it on your own & it's your first time. (BTW I was re-installing the OEM Shaft linkage) I would like to extend a very special thanks to Cutlass, Spaz & Orion for the advice. I appreciate it guys....... Ok Sway Bar, Strut Tow Brace and Y-pipe is all that's left!!!

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

Talking

ok... did you replace the steering rack??? if you did you might have got the wrong rack... there are 2 (i think) different rack for our cars... the code for the right rack will be on your drivers side door sticker... other than that i'd use a rubber hammer to tap it in place (you won't hurt anything)...
    Thanks a mill Spaz! Your advice ABSOLUTELY helped me get it into the right position. Good looking out.

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    Thanks again Orion!!! As always you contribute to the questions I have and you've contributed greatly to this overhaul install of mine. Thanks Bud.

Thread Information