Results 1 to 11 of 11

Drivers seat

This is a discussion on Drivers seat within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Guys, on Tuesday I'm taking my '01 Z28 to a place I found that specialises in seat repairs and reconditioning. ...

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    18

    Pewter
    2001 Camaro Z28

    Drivers seat

    Guys, on Tuesday I'm taking my '01 Z28 to a place I found that specialises in seat repairs and reconditioning. The foam in the bottom of my seat (especially the side bolster that you slide over when entering the vehicle) is no good and provides very little support. They say they will be able to replace it all for me, which is great, but I am a little nervous because if anything gets broken in the process it'll no doubt take me ages to get it fixed because I'm in the UK and have to import most parts. So, just to put my mind at ease....has anyone here had this repair done before?

    The seat will need to be removed - just a few bolts, looks straightforward..right?

    It's an electrically adjustable seat - is it just the one cable that needs unplugging?

    How does the leather cover come off - is it easy to remove?

    Cheers
    David

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Central PA, USA
    Age
    60
    Posts
    102

    Red
    1995 Trans Am 6 Speed

    Quote Originally Posted by david68 View Post
    Guys, on Tuesday I'm taking my '01 Z28 to a place I found that specialises in seat repairs and reconditioning. The foam in the bottom of my seat (especially the side bolster that you slide over when entering the vehicle) is no good and provides very little support. They say they will be able to replace it all for me, which is great, but I am a little nervous because if anything gets broken in the process it'll no doubt take me ages to get it fixed because I'm in the UK and have to import most parts. So, just to put my mind at ease....has anyone here had this repair done before?

    The seat will need to be removed - just a few bolts, looks straightforward..right?

    It's an electrically adjustable seat - is it just the one cable that needs unplugging?

    How does the leather cover come off - is it easy to remove?

    Cheers
    David
    From being in the hobby for a number of years here is my two cents.

    The seat matteral is held on by what are called Hob Rings. Think of a key-chain ring with only one turn and a open section. The ring is placed through the matteral and over the seat frame. Using a special pylers, the ring is compressed, thus thighening up the materal.

    You want to use a shop that has been around for 20+ years or more. This takes SKILL which comes from experience. Ask the shop who is doing the work (owner, son of owner, daugher of owner, son-in-law.) Ask to see an example of their work.

    On Friday, 09/26, will have the same work done at a local shop. The difference is Trans Am is a 1995 with cloth seats. He is also replacing the head-liner. The shop owner is 70+ years old, has been in the business since the 1960's and works with his daughter. He's turning this around in a day.

    Sorry to say, the shop is located in Harrisburg PA else I've send you his phone number.

    Will post back how it comes out. Of course, you can always skip the seat repair and order a new Z-28 (maybe called SS this time around) from Chevy!

  3. #3
    Senior Member bigrondownhiller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Orange County, NY
    Age
    42
    Posts
    2,674

    Black
    1996 Camaro Z28 vert

    Any competant uphostery shop should be able to make the repair. All they have to do is take the seat apart. Since they will be replacing some or all of the foam you wont have to worry about the foam sticking to the covering. It should only take them a day to do.

  4. #4
    2004 HEAD/CAM CTS-V 9t8z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    doylestown, Pa
    Posts
    6,818

    SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

    Quote Originally Posted by seppburgh View Post
    From being in the hobby for a number of years here is my two cents.

    The seat matteral is held on by what are called Hob Rings. Think of a key-chain ring with only one turn and a open section. The ring is placed through the matteral and over the seat frame. Using a special pylers, the ring is compressed, thus thighening up the materal.

    You want to use a shop that has been around for 20+ years or more. This takes SKILL which comes from experience. Ask the shop who is doing the work (owner, son of owner, daugher of owner, son-in-law.) Ask to see an example of their work.

    On Friday, 09/26, will have the same work done at a local shop. The difference is Trans Am is a 1995 with cloth seats. He is also replacing the head-liner. The shop owner is 70+ years old, has been in the business since the 1960's and works with his daughter. He's turning this around in a day.

    Sorry to say, the shop is located in Harrisburg PA else I've send you his phone number.

    Will post back how it comes out. Of course, you can always skip the seat repair and order a new Z-28 (maybe called SS this time around) from Chevy!
    These seat covers are not held on by hog rings. They are attached by 3 large plastic clips that are pretty durable. After that, the covers are held on by velcro. It is a pretty simple job. It takes about a half hour to take the seat apart and put it back together. I have replaced the upper and lower pads and it makes a big difference. The foam is probably going to be $75 or more. I took the cheap route and found a totaled low mile car and took the foams. The bottoms are the same as long as it has a non-power drivers seat, but the top foams are left and right specific. The back rest as a little harder to get apart without wrecking the meterial. It needs to be gently rolled in an upward motion.

    They should not break anything.
    Last edited by 9t8z28; 09-23-2008 at 05:57 PM.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Central PA, USA
    Age
    60
    Posts
    102

    Red
    1995 Trans Am 6 Speed

    Red face

    Quote Originally Posted by 9t8z28 View Post
    These seat covers are not held on by hog rings. They are attached by 3 large plastic clips that are pretty durable. After that, the covers are held on by velcro. It is a pretty simple job. It takes about a half hour to take the seat apart and put it back together. I have replaced the upper and lower pads and it makes a big difference. The foam is probably going to be $75 or more. I took the cheap route and found a totaled low mile car and took the foams. The bottoms are the same as long as it has a non-power drivers seat, but the top foams are left and right specific. The back rest as a little harder to get apart without wrecking the meterial. It needs to be gently rolled in an upward motion.

    They should not break anything.
    Wow, OK, I stand corrected. The last time I took a seat out was with my old 1979 Trans Am about 7 years ago. My 1996 Chevy CK2500 PickUp had hob rings so though GM was still using them across the board.

    Got get my head out of the EastWood Tool Catalog sometimes and the POCI monthly news letter more often!

  6. #6
    2004 HEAD/CAM CTS-V 9t8z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    doylestown, Pa
    Posts
    6,818

    SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

    Quote Originally Posted by seppburgh View Post
    Wow, OK, I stand corrected. The last time I took a seat out was with my old 1979 Trans Am about 7 years ago. My 1996 Chevy CK2500 PickUp had hob rings so though GM was still using them across the board.

    Got get my head out of the EastWood Tool Catalog sometimes and the POCI monthly news letter more often!
    Haha, I know what you mean!

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    18

    Pewter
    2001 Camaro Z28

    Thanks for the replies guys.

    Had it done yesterday. Was amazed when it only took 2.5 hours. Also, it only cost me £30 (about ($60 I think).

    The guy re-foamed the whole seat bottom and it looks and feels a whole lot better now. The original foam had become compressed and broken up around the bolster that runs along parallel to the door. Now it looks just like my passenger seat (leather cover fits tight rather than looking 'baggy') and feels much better.

  8. #8
    2004 HEAD/CAM CTS-V 9t8z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    doylestown, Pa
    Posts
    6,818

    SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

    Quote Originally Posted by david68 View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys.

    Had it done yesterday. Was amazed when it only took 2.5 hours. Also, it only cost me £30 (about ($60 I think).

    The guy re-foamed the whole seat bottom and it looks and feels a whole lot better now. The original foam had become compressed and broken up around the bolster that runs along parallel to the door. Now it looks just like my passenger seat (leather cover fits tight rather than looking 'baggy') and feels much better.
    $60! Thats a steal!

  9. #9
    Member slikws6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    southeast
    Posts
    136

    Black
    1998 WS6 Convert

    My driverís seat on bottom has always seamed to lean towards the console and have thought about trying to get it fixed.
    I called a couple of places locally and they wanted to know if I had the pad as it would be hard to find according to them.
    Anyone knows where to get a replacement pad?

  10. #10
    2004 HEAD/CAM CTS-V 9t8z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    doylestown, Pa
    Posts
    6,818

    SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

    Quote Originally Posted by slikws6 View Post
    My driver’s seat on bottom has always seamed to lean towards the console and have thought about trying to get it fixed.
    I called a couple of places locally and they wanted to know if I had the pad as it would be hard to find according to them.
    Anyone knows where to get a replacement pad?
    You can get it through GM but it is very expensive.

    Here is a link.

    http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/catalog/frameset.cfm


    If you click on the seat foams for the back of the seat, you will notice that the left side is much more expensive than the passenger side. The reason for this is that GM is soon to discontinue it, so you better hurry if you want one!
    Last edited by 9t8z28; 09-24-2008 at 11:44 AM.

  11. #11
    Member slikws6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    southeast
    Posts
    136

    Black
    1998 WS6 Convert

    Thats odd
    I did check gm parts direct and new gm parts Today to see if they had them and neither listed the seat cushions.
    I'll try again
    Thanks

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Question: drivers seat
    By jodmari in forum Firebird / WS6
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-10-2015, 07:40 PM
  2. Drivers seat
    By lawdog in forum Camaro / SS
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-21-2010, 06:22 PM
  3. Question: Drivers seat
    By grandejim in forum Camaro / SS
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 09-28-2010, 03:39 PM
  4. need a drivers seat for my 98 z28
    By DADillac in forum Parts Wanted / Trade
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-23-2007, 05:55 PM
  5. WTB: Drivers Seat for 2000 T/A
    By Cycopath in forum Parts Wanted / Trade
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-22-2007, 01:31 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •