Driver Side Tail Light Enigma

This is a discussion on Driver Side Tail Light Enigma within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Ok guys, dont really expect anyone to know whats up but i'll give it a shot, My drivers side tail ...

Red
    1999 Pontiac Trans-Am

Driver Side Tail Light Enigma

Ok guys, dont really expect anyone to know whats up but i'll give it a shot, My drivers side tail light is tinted darker than my passenger side tail light, i have had people tell me that it is burnt out when it really is'nt, its just alot dimmer due to the tint. Yesterday morning I pulled my tail light off and checked all the bulbs which are fine, then I thought the inside of the tail light might be a little dirty so I used a damp q-tip to see if I could rub any dirt off and it was clean NO DIRT. WTF. I have also noticed over the years that my drivers side tail light has some condensation in it after rain and or washes, could that of possably stained it darker over the years? I am really stumped, anyone know where I could buy another tail light for a cheap price? How much do they generally run for? THANKS - Jason

Last edited by 1 RedHot TransAm; 05-28-2009 at 06:06 PM.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

yeah the water ruins the reflective stuff inside the tail light. I bought mine new from GM ( I get a discount, was still like $200 or something). Ebay, craigslist, and the Parts for sale sections on LS1 websites are other good sources. People wreck their cars and sell the taillights.

Red
    1999 Pontiac Trans-Am

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    yeah the water ruins the reflective stuff inside the tail light. I bought mine new from GM ( I get a discount, was still like $200 or something). Ebay, craigslist, and the Parts for sale sections on LS1 websites are other good sources. People wreck their cars and sell the taillights.
    Ohh, thanks for confirming that man, i thought the water getting in there had something to do with it. - Jason

Red
    1999 Pontiac Trans-Am

Well if anyone has one that they wanna sell please feel free to shoot me a message..

Red
    1999 Pontiac Trans-Am

Today I ordred one strait from GM $380 ouch. I saw several on ebay and other sites but i'm to worryed i'd end up getting a dud and being screwed over. At least I know i'm getting a brand new one in mint condition.

How much was one shipped from gmpartsdirect.com? They're a lot cheaper, got a new RR for my car a few years ago.

00 TA PWTR, 98 VertTA NBM
    80 TA BLK, 80 Formula NBM

my drivers side taillight did the same thing on my 98 bird . . . the "reflectiveness" started tarnishing inside . . . so i bought some of that chrome tape thats about 4 inches wide from the parts store. I cut it up in strips small enough to fit through the bulb holes. I relined the inside of the light with it the best i could, and it definately helped.

and fyi this was a new gm light i bought only about a year before this happened, so it can happen pretty fast for some reason. When you get your new light i would drill some 1/8" holes in the lowest points of the taillight (i believe there are 3) to allow it to release moisture. I never had a problem again after i did this.

Red
    1999 Pontiac Trans-Am

Quote Originally Posted by GULLETT17 View Post
    my drivers side taillight did the same thing on my 98 bird . . . the "reflectiveness" started tarnishing inside . . . so i bought some of that chrome tape thats about 4 inches wide from the parts store. I cut it up in strips small enough to fit through the bulb holes. I relined the inside of the light with it the best i could, and it definately helped.

and fyi this was a new gm light i bought only about a year before this happened, so it can happen pretty fast for some reason. When you get your new light i would drill some 1/8" holes in the lowest points of the taillight (i believe there are 3) to allow it to release moisture. I never had a problem again after i did this.
    Thanks for the tip, yeah I had to replace it ASAP as soon as I saw it with my own eyes. I had my g/f drive my car and I followed her the other day to see what people were talking about, it looked weird and kinda made my car look junkie, the chrome on the reverse light is even peeling off. Cant believe I drove around with it like that for a couple years.

Thread Information