Thread: Downshifting ?

hugger orange
    1999 camaro ss

Downshifting ?

Random question, coming up on a 90 degree turn I was slowing from 45 to maybe 35 and downshifted to 2nd didn't hit the gas but was mid turn and when I let the clutch out along with the normal higher engine revs my tires went loose for a second. Is this normal while in a turn?

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Yep. With the compression of the engine, coupled with the downshifted gear ratio, the tires would have spun slower than you were traveling - resulting in the "loose" feeling.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Uh, hard to say based on your description. Did you rev the engine before you let out the clutch so they spun, or what? Did you let the clutch out, and the tires spun a bit trying to speed up to match the engine?

Not slamming you here, but if I were doing some normal driving and not getting on it coming out of the corner, I'd still be in 5th and would've never pushed in the clutch at those speeds.

hugger orange
    1999 camaro ss

Cool good to know. Thanks for your help

hugger orange
    1999 camaro ss

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    Uh, hard to say based on your description. Did you rev the engine before you let out the clutch so they spun, or what? Did you let the clutch out, and the tires spun a bit trying to speed up to match the engine?

Not slamming you here, but if I were doing some normal driving and not getting on it coming out of the corner, I'd still be in 5th and would've never pushed in the clutch at those speeds.
    Well I was planning on getting on it 3/4 way through the turn. i didnt rev the engine up i was coasting at 45 in 5th and planned on flying through the turn. I was not doing normal driving. That's why I downshifted to 2nd. So I guess I got a little loose from the tires trying to speed up to the engine?

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Yes. gotta match the engine speed to the driven wheels speed. If I was playin around a corner like that I'd be in 2nd like you did, but you must be ready and know what your car will do. And always be smooth lol. Don't ask me how I know that.

Thread Information