Thread: Door Sag.

mzamatt412

Cool Door Sag.

Hi all. This forum rocks, first of all.
    I've been rebuildin my 94 z28, and am basically ready to paint.. except for I need to fix that classic driver side door sag first.. which is beyond "lift and latch". I've searched the net and auto stores up and down, but have yet not been able to find pins and bushings for a fourth gen.. the closest I can find is for up to '92. The local GM dealership parts department is clueless, so that sort of sucks. I've tried searching the forums, but didn't yield anything. I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction, or offer some advice.

Thanks in advance,
    Matt

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Contact the guys at fbodymotorsports.com and see if they can help you. They have tons of used parts.

mzamatt412
    Cool, I'll give them a shot, thanks. I assumed there would be an aftermarket cure for this infamous problem.. but alas nothing for fourth gen.

mzamatt412
    I tried them to no avail.. I can't beieve nobody knows of another source. I've tried everywhere and there is no permanent fix.. thats weak.

White
    stolen by "Josh Steel"

I don't know if it is somthing that you want to do or not but when I have that problem with a beater car I just stick a rag on top of the lift and open the door on top of it then slowley raise the lift so far it hasen't hurt anything and I have not seen it distort the sill or jam or anthing. obviouly if you do this it is going to bend somthing but I still haven't figured out what exactly it bends. all I know is that it works! Like I said I have only done it on beater and would be hesitant to do it on a nice car but hay if I had the same problem and couldn't find a better fix I would probibly eventualy try it as a last resort.

Black
    1999 Chevrolet Camaro Z28

How about replacing both hinges?

black
    2002 firehawk

Quote Originally Posted by LS1Chris
    How about replacing both hinges?
    finally, the right thing to-do!!!!!

mzamatt412
    I read (maybe you can tell me if this is true), that the factor replacement hinge's holes will not line up with the originals. Thus, having to drill and tap. I just thought that maybe an aftermarket company might have some type of beefed up hinges.. I mean, if I just replace the hinges with originals, I'll be in the same position in two years.. Ah well, looks like I'm gonna have to break out the ol' shims and/or washers.

Black
    1999 Chevrolet Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by mzamatt412
    I read (maybe you can tell me if this is true), that the factor replacement hinge's holes will not line up with the originals. Thus, having to drill and tap. I just thought that maybe an aftermarket company might have some type of beefed up hinges.. I mean, if I just replace the hinges with originals, I'll be in the same position in two years.. Ah well, looks like I'm gonna have to break out the ol' shims and/or washers.
    That is only true on the door side. Not on the body side. The body side is more of a squared hole which allows for adjustment after it has been installed but not tightened down yet.

Remove the front fenders, support the door with a jack and a wood board under it.
    Remove the interior door panels, and electrical wiring out of the door jam.

Remove the door hinges bolts on the body side, take door out and lay it down on a blanket. Remove the old hinges, install new ones.

When putting it back on the body, place it on the wood pad on the jack, rig the electrical wires back into the door then install the hinge to body bolts but don't tighten them yet.
    Close door to ajar and use the door adjusting tool which slides onto the door striker and the other side into the door striker locker.
    Have someone hold this tool level in place so the door will line up with the striker in a level way.
    Tighten down the hinge to body bolts, recheck alignment, and you're all set.

I did this on a '91 Camaro RS last month, plan to spend a good few hours doing this if you never done it before, you will need an helper while you do the work.

Thread Information