Thread: Door Lock Issue

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Door Lock Issue

This one has me stumped. We have had our car for a couple of years now and when it is parked I generally disconnect the battery. Over the winter months, I will connect the battery, start the car and run it a couple of times to keep everything lubed up and happy. A couple of weeks ago, I connected the battery and when I went to get into the car to start it, I found that the doors were locked. I had just been in the car to pop the hood and know that I didn't lock it. Yesterday, I went to move the car and, remembering what happened last time, I left the driver door open. Sure enough, when I connected the battery the doors both locked again.

Except for these two occasions, this has never happened before. I have disconnected and connected the battery at least 30-40 times over the years. Anyone have a clue as to what might be causing this? VATS is still operative in our car and we have no issues. As far as I know, it cannot lock the doors unless the remote is triggered. If the button on our remote were stuck, the battery in the key fob would be long dead by now.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

I've had mine do the same a couple of times over the last few months. I thought it was just due to the initial power surge that causes the relays to lock them. Kinda the same for when the power antenna goes up too when you attache the battery.

I just remember to keep my keys in my pocket.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

I think Scott is right about the power surge. While it is in storage put a battery tender on it to keep the current flowing all year round. It will keep you computer happy and you will not need to reset your radio.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

I would assume that the security feature on these cars would give you an issue once you reconnect the battery..maybe the VATS is operational now, but well on its way out?
    I had issues with it when I got a new battery put in half a year ago. The two posts above me sound like they got it. This might be a stupid question but aren't fuses there to prevent surges?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Just odd that it never did it before. Scott, my antenna doesn't so anything when I hook up the battery.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Possibly a BCM issue? I know the auto trans-equipped cars lock once the car is rolling at 20 mph. But maybe the BCM is losing its programming and when you reconnect the battery, the BCM is acknowledging the connection? Or could be VATS? Just my thoughts.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Only other odd issue I have had was a hyperactive dome light 2 years ago -- maybe it is a BCM issue.

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

I had a similar issue on one of my previous vehicles. It happened every time I closed the door. It seemed that for whatever reason when closing the door it caused power surge which locked the door. I replaced the battery and had no more issues. This was on a very old battery, possibly the original mind you. I would take a look at the BCM to make sure there are no issues it is causing.
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

Thread Information