Red
    '00 TransAm RamAir WS6 M6

Door Hinge Replacement

On my 2000 T/A, the driver's side door sounds like it is going to fall off every time I open or close it. I have used white lithium grease on the moving parts and it has temporarily helped. I think it's the lower door hinge that needs attention. Has anyone replaced theirs? Easy, difficult, let the stealership do it???!! Thanks in advance!

Silver
    1995 Firehawk

I haven't done the hinges on a 4gen car but have done several on the 2 gens. I can't imagine it is much different. It really isn't hard but you will need some help from a second person along with a block of wood and a floor jack to help hold the door.

The easiest way is to take the door off. You will have to disconnect your wires.

Make sure you mark or scribe where the current hinge sits. This way you can get things back in place.

Red

Thank you! I have been looking for a video for a 4th gen car, but have not been able to find one. Most of the ones that are out there are for different years, and like you said, they take the door completely off, but the work seems to be done in a very well equipped garage with vices, welders, grinders, etc. I have a floor jack, and some tools, but the rest I don't have yet. At first, I thought about putting the floor jack and block of wood under the door for support, and only take the lower hinge off, still marking, scribing where it was, and leaving the upper hinge torqued in place. Then place the new hinge in place, torque it down and done deal....guess it can't be that easy, can it!!! Just haven't seen anyone do that yet, and hate to be the pioneer, and find some difficulties I wasn't expecting. This is my daily driver, so can't afford to have it down for more than a day or two. Thanks again!
    Ported/Polished throttle body, Lingenfelter launch module, SLP line lock, QTP exhaust cutout, LS7 clutch, K&N, Ceramic coated longtubes, no cats, 3" exhaust, Flowmaster "B", Eibach springs, Midwest Chassis 9" rearend w/4.10's

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Also, grab some blue painters tape and mask all the edges on the door, front fender and quarter panel to protect against accidental damage.

Red

Thanks Jeff! Will remember that!

Silver
    1995 Firehawk

All you need is a few simple tools. Nothing fancy to do it. Really it sounds more difficult than it is. But if you feel this is too difficult to do, any body shop can do it in a couple of hours.

Red

Awesome. Thanks for the information! Still looking for a video!

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

If the hinge isn't too beat up the make a hinge pin replacement. Has a couple bushings and a new pin. It would be much easier to take off the door to do.

Red

Thanks Ron. I have seen the kits you can get at Advance Auto and O'Reilly's, and they're not very expensive. I've seen some videos on trucks that changed out the bushings, and it was pretty straight forward. Thanks for the info!!

Thread Information