Thread: Door alignment

Door alignment

I just noticed the other day that the driver's door has slightly dropped by a few millimeters. It's hardly noticable (but I know it's there) and it doesn't affect the way it opens or closes.

Is it an easy fix, has anyone any experience they would like to share?

I'd appreciate any input.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

You could check the hinge pins to see if they are backing themself out of the hinges. If so, take a hammer and a punch and tap the hinge pin back down into the hinge. I know the bushings tend to wear out over time. If the bushings are worn, you could replace them with a floor jack and a block of wood between the door and floor jack and remove the pins and bushings and replace them. The bushings can be purchased from a parts store. Let us know if you need any further assistance.

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

I agree with Rich, I did it on the last camaro I had, mine drooped really bad and had been in a wreck, i ended up swapping the bushings, and putting pressure on the bottom of the door with the jack stand and wood block. slowly worked it up until the door lined up, worked just fine

Also, If you have a lot of power adders, and/or do a lot of racing, without sub frame connectors, then the unibody can torque over time and cause the door to not line up...not much of a way to fix that

Thanks guys, I'll have a go as soon as possible. Will I need particular tool, if I do need to remove the pins?

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

i dont think so....maybe a small spring compressor for the door spring, but i dont remember removing mine

I had a look today, but as I don't have any experience with door hinges, I really don't know what I should be looking for.

If anyone could post up a photo or diagram showing me where I should be looking, it'd be a huge help.

Thanks all.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

With the door opened, look between the front of the door and the pillar, which should be to the right of the inside of the door. Look at the hinges between the door and pillar and see if there are any pins sticking upward and out of the hinge assembly. You should be good with a hammer and a long punch. Possibly 6 inches long in order to tap the hinge pins downward or upward if you need to remove the pins to replace the bushes.

Silver
    1999 Trans-Am, 2012 Sonic

My nephew is redoing a Camaro right now and was having the same issue he bought a new hinge and replaced it. Very little play in hinge after he removed it but on the car with the length of the door it was quite a drop.. New hinge door is right on...

Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    With the door opened, look between the front of the door and the pillar, which should be to the right of the inside of the door. Look at the hinges between the door and pillar and see if there are any pins sticking upward and out of the hinge assembly. You should be good with a hammer and a long punch. Possibly 6 inches long in order to tap the hinge pins downward or upward if you need to remove the pins to replace the bushes.
    I think I've got it, do you mean where the two halves of the hinge join together?

Can it be done on my own without having to remove the door?

Thread Information