Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    my ws6 eats rice gokillyourself's Avatar

sexy
    1999 trans am ws6

Exclamation don't run like it used to

ok, here it is, for a while now my ws6 seems to run alittle screwed, when i take off from a light it takes off good when the rpms reach 1500-2500 it has a sudden major loss of power for about 3 seconds then pics back up like normal, it does it in first-third gears. when i down shift to speed up it don't do it just when i go from a stop, and the engine seems to miss a little at idle.
    i have just rescently replaced the spark plugs (ngk tr55's), the wires, fuel filter, cleaned the hell out of the maf. i just don't know what it could be that causes such a big power loss during the rpms and the 3 gears, any help would be awesome.

white

Quote Originally Posted by gokillyourself View Post
    ok, here it is, for a while now my ws6 seems to run alittle screwed, when i take off from a light it takes off good when the rpms reach 1500-2500 it has a sudden major loss of power for about 3 seconds then pics back up like normal, it does it in first-third gears. when i down shift to speed up it don't do it just when i go from a stop, and the engine seems to miss a little at idle.
    i have just rescently replaced the spark plugs (ngk tr55's), the wires, fuel filter, cleaned the hell out of the maf. i just don't know what it could be that causes such a big power loss during the rpms and the 3 gears, any help would be awesome.
    could be clutches or misfire, any codes?? any gas smell?? vaccum leak?? wire not seating properly??? most important BAD SPARK PLUG GAP

sexy
    1999 trans am ws6

i don't believe that it it the clutch because if it where to slip the rpms would jump while it was slipping, but i can tell that it is an engine issue, i have no gas smell, i set all the park plugs to .055, it is throwing no codes, and it has been acting like this before and after i did all the changes to it. i also forgot to mention that i also cleaned the tb and inside the intake, it has been spotless for 3 months now (spark plugs and fuel filter where changed last weekend)

sexy
    1999 trans am ws6

anyone else got some ideas please?

black
    01 SS

i would also say its the clutch!!! because my SS done the same thing, it would bog just at take off, under 1500rpm's.. i hated it.. and the clutch did slip at all in my car, but after it was changed it fixed that bog i had.. G/L

sexy
    1999 trans am ws6

Quote Originally Posted by foxman92 View Post
    i would also say its the clutch!!! because my SS done the same thing, it would bog just at take off, under 1500rpm's.. i hated it.. and the clutch did slip at all in my car, but after it was changed it fixed that bog i had.. G/L
    is yours a stick or auto, mine is a stick

black
    01 SS

mine is a 6speed.. and it was very doggy off the line, almost like it wanted to stall out or die.. im pulled the clutch out and 2 of the springs, in the pressure plate just fell out..

sexy
    1999 trans am ws6

Quote Originally Posted by foxman92 View Post
    mine is a 6speed.. and it was very doggy off the line, almost like it wanted to stall out or die.. im pulled the clutch out and 2 of the springs, in the pressure plate just fell out..
    i don't have a problem off the line, i am going already off the line when it starts losing power, i even listen to the exaust note to see if it changes but i can't really notice a change in the tone when it has a drop in power, its almost like the engine is choked for a second or 2 and it always seems to be with in a specific rpm range, see the reason i don't think it could be the clutch is because it still idles rough even after the tune up, i think that might have something to do with it. mine is also a 6 speed. what do you think?

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

I forget do the tr-55's or tr-6's run cooler? IThat could be a problem although I don't what is which. Spray the maf with maf cleaner. Check the ses light and take it to kragen to get the codes read for free.

sexy
    1999 trans am ws6

Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
    I forget do the tr-55's or tr-6's run cooler? IThat could be a problem although I don't what is which. Spray the maf with maf cleaner. Check the ses light and take it to kragen to get the codes read for free.
    reread my first qoute

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Check these really close:

Spark plug wire connections. Take them all off the plugs, put them all back on tightly. Many people here have had a bad connection cause issues like this.

Get a fuel pressure checker, if the above doesn't fix it. Fuel psi should not fall below 58 if my memory is right. Anyone else chime in.

Make sure there are no downstream leaks between the MAF and TB.

Air filter clean?

Does your car have traction control? Maybe you have it tuned so well that the tires are spinning and that shit is cutting back on your power.

Good luck!

sexy
    1999 trans am ws6

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post

Spark plug wire connections. Take them all off the plugs, put them all back on tightly. Many people here have had a bad connection cause issues like this.

Get a fuel pressure checker, if the above doesn't fix it. Fuel psi should not fall below 58 if my memory is right. Anyone else chime in.

Air filter clean?

Does your car have traction control? Maybe you have it tuned so well that the tires are spinning and that shit is cutting back on your power.

Good luck!
    my wires have the metal boots on them, would it hurt to take them off? would it hurt also if i got some of that grease stuff to put inside each boot? i just don't know, its been doing this before and after i replaced the plugs, wires and fuel filter and cleaned the tb and maf. the air filter is good. should i start looking at vacuum leaks? if so how do i begin to check for leaks? as soon as i can i will go get a tool to check the fuel pressure

the part about traction control is n/a. when i get hard on it from a light i don't notice it much, its when i am just taking it easy from a stop is when the lose of horse power is soooo very noticable
    Last edited by gokillyourself; 08-19-2009 at 04:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
    if i recall the tr-6 run cooler..... but i could be wrong lol

!st thing to check is the fuel pressure...betcha its low while driving.

sexy
    1999 trans am ws6

Quote Originally Posted by 99RTA View Post
    !st thing to check is the fuel pressure...betcha its low while driving.
    wouldn't it act even worse if i stomp on it? seems to have good power when i do, i don't know how all that stuff works

white

i don't have a problem off the line, i am going already off the line when it starts losing power, i even listen to the exaust note to see if it changes but i can't really notice a change in the tone when it has a drop in power, its almost like the engine is choked for a second or 2 and it always seems to be with in a specific rpm range, see the reason i don't think it could be the clutch is because it still idles rough even after the tune up, i think that might have something to do with it. mine is also a 6 speed. what do you think?
    sounds like a maf sensor

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Air filter clean?

Good luck!
    Correct

Well lets see...everyone take a guess.....Until you do some testing no one can say its this or that. I would start with the fuel system, purdy darn easy to test. Put a gauge on it and drive it....if it doesn't have 55psi plus at all times the pump assembly needs repair.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

wouldn't it act even worse if i stomp on it? seems to have good power when i do, i don't know how all that stuff works
    Yes it would, however our fuel pumps operate "on demand", so it doesn't run full delivery unless the PCM tells it to. So, it could be ok under full throttle and at low throttle it may be weak. You need to hook it up so you can watch it while driving. It would need a long hose, then try carefully to shut the hood and have the gage on the windshield, held in place by a wiper maybe, and go for a drive. If you think a fuel pressure checker is too much money, it really isn't. How much is a diagnostic at the local garage? Prolly more than this gage costs, and then you have one that fits most GMs and a lot of Chryslers too.

It could be a TPS sensor, they can go bad and not set a code. You would need a scanner to watch the signal to check that, tho. TPS is Throttle Position Sensor, it tells the PCM how hard you have your foot into it. Since most driving is done at part throttle, they wear out in that highly used section sometimes, causing a hesitation.

sexy
    1999 trans am ws6

Yes it would, however our fuel pumps operate "on demand", so it doesn't run full delivery unless the PCM tells it to. So, it could be ok under full throttle and at low throttle it may be weak. You need to hook it up so you can watch it while driving. It would need a long hose, then try carefully to shut the hood and have the gage on the windshield, held in place by a wiper maybe, and go for a drive. If you think a fuel pressure checker is too much money, it really isn't. How much is a diagnostic at the local garage? Prolly more than this gage costs, and then you have one that fits most GMs and a lot of Chryslers too.

It could be a TPS sensor, they can go bad and not set a code. You would need a scanner to watch the signal to check that, tho. TPS is Throttle Position Sensor, it tells the PCM how hard you have your foot into it. Since most driving is done at part throttle, they wear out in that highly used section sometimes, causing a hesitation.

thanks for the help everyone, i will check it all this weekend and let you all know if i find anything, thanks again

Thread Information