SOM
    1998 Trans Am

Does this seem right?

Im trying to get a tune, and for a Dyno tune he said in his 1st e-mail it was gonna be 605 now when I ask for the street tune he is still askin 515 (300 of which is a license.) Im not sure if thats how it goes or what, should I just get a tuner myself and do it myself?

(this is his e-mail)

"Hey Justin,
    regardless of how its tuned, you will need to purchase the license for
    interfacing with the computer, then tuning time. If the car has just
    basic bolt ons, you're looking at $515 to do it on the dyno. Even on a

"street tune" you still need to watch A/F readings, which is a lot
    easier on the dyno."

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

never heard of that license B.S.

speedtek down by me in texas quoted $400 for a dyno tune w/o a license. i just got a handheld
    2002 Z28 M6, Suncoast Creations ram air, port/polish TB w/ bypass and bumpstop, heater hose mod, stainless steel long tubes, ORY w/ dual cutouts, Magnaflow, BMR SFC, UMI Torque Arm, LS7 clutch w/ drill mod, Pro 5.0 w/ Lous short stick, MSD wires, 4.10s, good maintenancehttp://www.fquick.com/blue02z

98 Formula
    06 duramax

ok, I'll bite. Do you know what software he's using? Have you gotten any references for his work? If it's HPTuner he's using I'm pretty sure individual credits are $49.99 and you would need 2 so that's $100. 6 credits would be $300 but that's for the entire year of that vehicle. Most tunes I see on here are quoted in the $400-$500 range which seems a little absurd to me but I'm also cheap. The number one most important thing is if he's worth it. I would get several references and preferably not someone that's a buddy of his.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

what are credits??

Navy
    2000 Z28 M6

BS?

Never heard of the license requirement being paid by the customer. The dyno the operator is using I would think already has the software loaded. I had a cam install and dyno tune for $650 in Vanceboro NC.

SOM
    1998 Trans Am

seems like he is tryin to screw me over? :/ How would on of those mail ordered tunes do?

Black
    2002 Camaro Z-28

Speed Engineering and Dyno in TN quoted me

$400 for the license
    $150/hr for the dyno at approx 4 hrs for a tune.
    Total ~$1000

Now the dyno time/tune for 4 hrs sounded right to me, but the license fee sounded bogus after doing some reading on how each s/w package charges their users. Decided to go with HP Tuners myself so that my tune could grow with my car. Plus it would have been 2 hrs each way in fuel.

Not saying these guys aren't talented, but I could do a lot of mods for the $500 delta they wanted over other shops.

I have to agree,,,,some of the prices I have been seeing lately for custom tuners is ridiculous. They are starting to charge a license fee as well as charging time for the tune.

It never used to be this way.....I know as Orion mentioned,,,as I also have HPtuner and do my own,,,,that license through HPtuner only cost $50 each,,,,and it takes 1 for a car and 2 for a truck if memory serves,,,,,and when you buy HPtuner you get 6 licenses right off the bat. You can tune your car until your hearts content,,,not to menion a couple of others, maybe a couple of buddies you want to help out. With the HPtuner software package only costing $500 it's a steal!

These tuners are making a killing on this license fee,,,like 300% profit,,,it's crazy.

Not to mention if you get a simple street tune,,,most of them are using a tune that was another customer they had with simple bolt ons,,,,and they have tons of combinations stored in the bin file of the tuning software they are using. It takes them all of 5 minutes to find something suitable and flash it to your car. And they are charging $400-$500 for this? Sheeeesh,,,and this won't be a perfect tune either,,,what works on one car may not work as well on another with similar mods.

There is a tuner in my area who works on LSX stuff all the time, he charges a flat $150 for a street tune,,,,again doing just what I mentioned above,,,now this to me sounds very reasonable and more in line with what you are getting as far as prices verses tune. Keep in mind as well, once a tuner plays with your computer,,,it is locked to that tuner and cannot be accessed by anyone but him, a big turn off for me for many reasons.

Tuning isn't rocket science,,,a little fuel, a little timing,,,delete a few codes and playing with a few other variables.
    The hardest part is just learning what all the tables do and finding your way around,,,that was my struggle,,,(still is). I don't get along with computers but I jumped in. My advice,,,,tune it yourself, save yourself some coin, and enjoy it as you can modify like crazy and make all the changes you need. You have total control over your car.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 12-05-2007 at 12:07 PM.

Black
    2002 Camaro Z-28

Awaiting Activation

SOM
    1998 T.A.

The tuner I talked to in Raleigh gets $500 a tune but was going to give me one for $350 cause he was doing some of the mods I couldn't do. He never mentioned any license stuff.

SOM
    1998 Trans Am

anyone know if I mail order tune would be good, if I have a cutout, LT headers, ram air package w/lid? I dont have the money to get a HPtuner or a dyno, the guy wants 515 for a tune, which I guess I could get an HP tuner for that. I know there is a guy on this site that does mail order tunes, so I was just wondering if they would be any good.

NBM
    1998Z28

I would find another shop that has dyno experince with the LSx motors. Even if you had to drive down to the Raleigh, NC area it would be worth it in the long run. Check out the Horsepowerjunkies.com sponcers forum.
    TSP 347 SB, TSP Stage 2.5 PRC LS6, TSP MS4, Performabuilt Stage 2 4L60E, Yank PT4000, 4.11s, Fast 90/90, FTRA Cold air intake+all the free mods, Dynatech Supermaxx Exaust System, DMH Cutouts, Hooker Catback/FTRA Tips. Tuned by RPM/Garner NC. 11.28@119

Black
    99 SS

i think 300 for a tune is about right, 500 is WAY to much, and for the guy who spent 1,000 on a tune that is crazy man

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

Quote Originally Posted by aeroengineer View Post
    Speed Engineering and Dyno in TN quoted me

$400 for the license
    $150/hr for the dyno at approx 4 hrs for a tune.
    Total ~$1000

Now the dyno time/tune for 4 hrs sounded right to me, but the license fee sounded bogus after doing some reading on how each s/w package charges their users. Decided to go with HP Tuners myself so that my tune could grow with my car. Plus it would have been 2 hrs each way in fuel.

Not saying these guys aren't talented, but I could do a lot of mods for the $500 delta they wanted over other shops.
    no tuner in their right mind would need 4hrs to tune a car. PERIOD! price for my tune after cam install was $400, which was a one time charge. any retune i have is $60. they also didnt take 4hrs to tune my car, which come to think of it, i havent even been on a dyno total for 4hrs for all of the tuning and retuning done to my car...

my car is HP Tuned...

Thread Information