Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Does a high volume oil pump cause leaks?

This is a discussion on Does a high volume oil pump cause leaks? within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; In my recent engine upgrade a Ligenfelter high volume oil pump was installed. The oil pressure is up about 20 ...

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Chowchilla CA
    Age
    63
    Posts
    287

    White
    2001 Z28

    Does a high volume oil pump cause leaks?

    In my recent engine upgrade a Ligenfelter high volume oil pump was installed. The oil pressure is up about 20 pounds. My pan gasket now has a slight leak. I have switched to conventional oil for the next 3000 miles (Auto RX cleaning phase). I am told that conventional oil swells the oil seals, I don't know if this is true.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    St. Louis, Mo.
    Age
    35
    Posts
    112

    Black
    2002 Camaro

    I believe it will as I installed a similar High Volume/High Pressure Pump and got the same results. My gauge was nearly buried untill the engine was hot and even then I was getting 60 PSI of pressure and it would jump to near 80 at any throttle. I checked it in my garage and found that it would actually steady stream oil while idleing and actually squirt it out under throttle. I changed my pressure spring to the lower one and that brought my pressure back to near 40-45 PSI at idle and the oil leak is gone. I would suggest doing the same as you will still have a High Volume unit even though you are lowering the pressure.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Chowchilla CA
    Age
    63
    Posts
    287

    White
    2001 Z28

    I think you are right. I am going to go ahead and do that. The only problem is how much of a pain it is to remove a fbody oil pan.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    St. Louis, Mo.
    Age
    35
    Posts
    112

    Black
    2002 Camaro

    Oh I know all to well!!! I now have a BMR tubular K member which makes life a bit easier, but yeah.... I hope it all goes well. Just remember... It has to be done!

  5. #5
    Single Malt rbob93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Age
    69
    Posts
    2,707

    Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

    Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf37 View Post
    I think you are right. I am going to go ahead and do that. The only problem is how much of a pain it is to remove a fbody oil pan.
    When you get your pressure back to normal you may find your leak is gone.

    Conventional oil does not swell seals.

  6. #6
    Grand Imperial Wizard Sarge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Texas Department of Corrections
    Posts
    18,129
    Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

    Be careful about that statement Rbob! Seal conditioners are in the add packs and have absolutely nothing to do with the molecular structure of the host. Many of todays SM rated conventionals rival and add pack found in any of the synthetic oils.

  7. #7
    Single Malt rbob93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Age
    69
    Posts
    2,707

    Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

    Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    Be careful about that statement Rbob! Seal conditioners are in the add packs and have absolutely nothing to do with the molecular structure of the host. Many of todays SM rated conventionals rival and add pack found in any of the synthetic oils.
    So addpacks found in oil are going to swell seals??
    Or are they going to keep them soft & pliable so they do the job they were intended??
    If they were to swell seals, wouldn't it discredit the fact that going from dino to synthetic & back again is perfectly ok to do??

  8. #8
    Grand Imperial Wizard Sarge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Texas Department of Corrections
    Posts
    18,129
    Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

    Add packs contain seal conditioners in both synthetics and conventionals.
    Yes to your 2nd question. And clean by the way. And yes going back and forth from conventionals to synthetics is perfectly fine. What happens is folks go from a oil that has a poor add pack (cleaning) and the seals get crud all around them and that is what is preventing leaks....then they switch to a higher quality brand with a good add pack and it cleans the shit out of the seals and they start to leak. Same thing happens when somebody AutoRX;s a engine and blames the cleaning process for "causing" a leak...when in relaity it did its job and cleaned the crap out.....and exposed a crack or a poor fitting gasket and it started leaking.....Castrol GTX has a outstanding add pack with cleaners/seal conditioners.....good as most synthetics off the shelf....

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Chowchilla CA
    Age
    63
    Posts
    287

    White
    2001 Z28

    Are there any additives that are good seal conditioners? I have a couple of bottles of Valvoline Max Life additive. I am afraid to put it in my motor as it seems to be a viscosity enhancer. I have been down that road before.
    I also see products that claim to stop engine leaks, something tells me they are a bad idea.
    My gasket is replaced and I have backed off the oil pressure. I just want to be sure the engine stays oil-tight as the oil pressure is still higher than stock.

  10. #10
    LS1 Inside Bigdeezs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    155

    Black
    1995 Chevy LS1 S10 Blazer

    Quote Originally Posted by CamaroCrazyChris View Post
    I believe it will as I installed a similar High Volume/High Pressure Pump and got the same results. My gauge was nearly buried untill the engine was hot and even then I was getting 60 PSI of pressure and it would jump to near 80 at any throttle. I checked it in my garage and found that it would actually steady stream oil while idleing and actually squirt it out under throttle. I changed my pressure spring to the lower one and that brought my pressure back to near 40-45 PSI at idle and the oil leak is gone. I would suggest doing the same as you will still have a High Volume unit even though you are lowering the pressure.
    Where was it leaking or streaming from?

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    St. Louis, Mo.
    Age
    35
    Posts
    112

    Black
    2002 Camaro

    It was from the front seal

  12. #12
    LS1 Inside Bigdeezs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    155

    Black
    1995 Chevy LS1 S10 Blazer

    around the crank pulley?

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    St. Louis, Mo.
    Age
    35
    Posts
    112

    Black
    2002 Camaro

    Sure was! I thought at first that I might have installed the seal wron so I bought a new set of seals and still had the same problem. After changing the pressure spring though the problem was gone.

  14. #14
    LS1 Inside Bigdeezs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    155

    Black
    1995 Chevy LS1 S10 Blazer

    TY good to know

  15. #15
    Grand Imperial Wizard Sarge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Texas Department of Corrections
    Posts
    18,129
    Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

    Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf37 View Post
    Are there any additives that are good seal conditioners? I have a couple of bottles of Valvoline Max Life additive. I am afraid to put it in my motor as it seems to be a viscosity enhancer. I have been down that road before.
    I also see products that claim to stop engine leaks, something tells me they are a bad idea.
    My gasket is replaced and I have backed off the oil pressure. I just want to be sure the engine stays oil-tight as the oil pressure is still higher than stock.
    I dont recommend additives...as you already know most of them just thicken the oil.....if you have a leaky gasket..... replace it....I run a Lingenfelter pump....60-70lbs of pressure....we used almost all FelPro gaskets for a reason.....not s drop after over a year has leaked anywhere.....many folks over tighten pans/valve covers etc. This causes leaks....tighten only to the recommended torque settings....

  16. #16
    LS1 Inside Bigdeezs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    155

    Black
    1995 Chevy LS1 S10 Blazer

    Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    many folks over tighten pans/valve covers etc. This causes leaks....tighten only to the recommended torque settings....
    I completely agree with that...I used to tighten alot of gasket surfaces by feel I learned real quick this is an important area to use a torque wrench

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Chowchilla CA
    Age
    63
    Posts
    287

    White
    2001 Z28

    I should have asked about gaskets before I had them replaced. I am now running about 60 lbs pressure during 70MPH commuting. The gaskets are holding, for now. Would Felpro gaskets give me an edge, especially the pan gasket?

  18. #18
    LS1 Inside Bigdeezs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    155

    Black
    1995 Chevy LS1 S10 Blazer

    Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf37 View Post
    I should have asked about gaskets before I had them replaced. I am now running about 60 lbs pressure during 70MPH commuting. The gaskets are holding, for now. Would Felpro gaskets give me an edge, especially the pan gasket?
    The pan gasket shouldnt really be under much if any pressure...other than any pressure built up by blowby...but if you have that much blowby you got bigger problems.

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Chowchilla CA
    Age
    63
    Posts
    287

    White
    2001 Z28

    Which Gaskets should I keep an eye on?

  20. #20
    LS1 Inside Bigdeezs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    155

    Black
    1995 Chevy LS1 S10 Blazer

    I've only used factory and fel-pro... Both seem like good quality. I say either-or...maybe someone else has a preference?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. High HP fuel pump.
    By SUP3R5T0CK in forum Firebird / WS6
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-14-2012, 03:57 AM
  2. high volume / high pressure pump ?
    By seweber in forum General Help
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-11-2011, 05:09 PM
  3. C6 Corvette Exhaust Install - Pump Up the Volume
    By Ed Blown Vert in forum Corvette
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-04-2009, 02:20 AM
  4. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-27-2007, 12:59 PM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-11-2005, 11:07 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •