Guards Red
    '89 951

Does the 4.8 Vortec deserve any love?

That is the big question. I'm sure you've heard the "I can get this motor for really cheap" story before, and that's exactly my case.

I'm looking to possibly do an LS Swap into a 944. I'd like to do it as cheaply as possibly initially, but still have a good base to build on. When I say cheaply, I don't mean cobbling it together with junk parts. I mean, what is the cheapest way (motor wise) to stick an LSx in the car and still be able to do a decent build with that power plant?

I've seen that the F-body LS1 is the best candidate for this swap, and that would put me in a good spot power wise. But as stated I can pick up the 4.8 vortec for cheap ($200).
    However, to make the swap work I would need to change the intake mani to the car style and possibly a few other accessories. And I don't think I'd be all that impressed by the power output.

From what I've seen, the only ways to get any real power from them is to slap on a turbo or bore it out and throw in LS1 internals. How much does that sort of engine machining cost? Would I be better off starting with an LS1?

Also, how much does an LS1 motor generally cost (w/harness and computers) and where should I start my search?

Lots of questions...thanks for you time

white
    99 Z28

Check out big bang theory done.by Chevy hi performance magazine. Surprisingly a bad little motor
    99' WS6- Victory Red with T-Tops, BMR LCA's, Sub-frame Connectors, UMI STB, BMR Torque Arm, and Shift Kit

Guards Red
    '89 951

Is that the cheap turbo feature where they got +1000hp from it? Although its amazing and neat, I wanna stay NA. I own a turbo vehicle and want this to be loud with that v8 torque down low

white
    99 Z28

Yes. My point is if a 5.3 can handle.it a 4.8 stands with it.

Guards Red
    '89 951

Point taken. Building and iron LS1 would no doubt be stout, but I've never had machine work done to an engine and am curious what this would cost.

My power goals for the project are sub 500hp. I'd look to start off in the 350hp range and be able to build to the 450-500 range. Even 450hp is starting to test the limit of usable power without really beefing up the entire vehicle.

white
    99 Z28

I am far from an expert but with the ls1 in the 98-02 Canadian 400 is pretty easily attained.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

IMHO I wouldn't invest a dime in a 4.8 when you can get used LQ4/9 blocks cheap. They have more potential and better output then a little 4.8.
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/f7/my-6-liter-build-174257/

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f8/my-8-8-rear-build-165553/

6.0L Block - Forged 403ci , Polluter Stg3 Cam, FAST 102mm Intake, NW102 TB, MSD wires, NGK TR6 plugs, Truck Coil Packs, LS3 Fuel Injectors, CC Pacesetter LT Headers, TS&P ORY, QTP e-Cutout, Magnaflow Muffler, 104mm Air Lid & Line Lock, Catch Can, Stage 2 T56 w/Viper shaft, PRO 5.0 Shifter, Tick MC, SPEC Stg3+ Clutch, QT SFI BH, MWC DSL, Full UMI Performance Suspension, Belstein Shocks, Hotchkis Springs (1" Drop), YR1 Snowflake Wheels wrapped in NT555 tires & Custom Fab Ford 8.8 rear w/Wavetrac Diff 3.73 Yukon Gears, WSQ Hood, 3"CM Strange Eng Drive Shaft.

00 FB Vert - Stock

78 FB - Just getting started......

Horsepower never lies, but is often lied about!

its short but its skinny. jiveass's Avatar

pewter
    99 trans am

a 4.8 would scoot a light car pretty good....especially if you did the traditional heads, cam, blah blah blah....it all depends on what you want to get out of it.

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

With a 4.8 you are not going to be able to get 500hp na out of it. You can have it bored out to a 5.7 though in which case you can achieve that goal. If I had a 4.8 block and didn't want to buy another block I would get it bored out but if you aren't opposed to buying another block I would get a 6.0 or something similar.
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

Guards Red
    '89 951

Quote Originally Posted by jiveass View Post
    a 4.8 would scoot a light car pretty good....especially if you did the traditional heads, cam, blah blah blah....it all depends on what you want to get out of it.
    What I want from it is to be a worthwhile swap. I currently have a 944 turbo and it runs mid to low 13s. I'm running 18psi in it, and she's staying as is. I want the swap project to eclipse my current cars power.

According to google, here are stock figures:

944T - 247hp/258tq
    4.8 - 255hp/285tq

That's not all that different. I haven't put my car on the dyno, and have no idea what it puts down currently.

Guards Red
    '89 951

Quote Originally Posted by 98TransAmWs-6 View Post
    With a 4.8 you are not going to be able to get 500hp na out of it. You can have it bored out to a 5.7 though in which case you can achieve that goal. If I had a 4.8 block and didn't want to buy another block I would get it bored out but if you aren't opposed to buying another block I would get a 6.0 or something similar.
    How much does engine work like this usually cost?

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by Espiritu46 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 98TransAmWs-6 View Post
    How much does engine work like this usually cost?
    It depends on your area but where I will send mine to it is between $500 to 600 for machining and assembly of the engine. If you are just getting it bored out it would be quite a bit less I would imagine.

Thread Information