View Poll Results: Which antifreeze Do You Use?

Voters
87. You may not vote on this poll
  • Prestone antifreeze

12 13.79%
  • DexCool

65 74.71%
  • Other

10 11.49%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Which Do You Use?

This is a discussion on Which Do You Use? within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; 5.7 chevy eats intake gaskets and some times heater core not to good with alm heads...

red
    98 transam

5.7 chevy eats intake gaskets and some times heater core not to good with alm heads

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

I still say it is poor design, not the coolant, that makes the gasket leak. I have not heard anyone here complain about leaking intake gaskets with the LS1 engine. I do know the GM 4.3 V6 had a problem with the heater core when using Dexcool, that is an iron engine. I have flushed those plugged cores many times, but I also noticed the sludge build up was in neglected engines, usually because the owner let them run a little low on coolant for a period of time.
    Still, it is a good idea to change any coolant before its' recommended time.

Speaking of recommended time,,,,if dexcool is so corrosive and terrible, then why is the recommended service intervals at 5 years and/or 100,000 miles?
    Since I just picked up my 02 SS which is now 5 years old, this concerned me,,,so first thing I did was drain and flush coolant.
    It was a little bit dirty but not as bad as most cars I see. I went back with the dexcool since thats what came out. Dexcool is also what the factory put in my 97 Z28,,,and I have changed that as well and have had no ill affects at all.
    Now in my older cars from the 60's and 70's I use standard Prestone, the green stuff, and change it every year. No problems at all with that either.
    I think with regular changes, preferably before the recommended time, there will be no issues with either antifreeze you use.
    It's just like engine oil for me,,,I never go all the way to recommened oil change intervals,,,change mine every 2,000 miles religously in all 10 cars.
    But I am a finatic about maintainance. Larry.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Speaking of recommended time,,,,if dexcool is so corrosive and terrible, then why is the recommended service intervals at 5 years and/or 100,000 miles?
    Since I just picked up my 02 SS which is now 5 years old, this concerned me,,,so first thing I did was drain and flush coolant.
    It was a little bit dirty but not as bad as most cars I see. I went back with the dexcool since thats what came out. Dexcool is also what the factory put in my 97 Z28,,,and I have changed that as well and have had no ill affects at all.
    Now in my older cars from the 60's and 70's I use standard Prestone, the green stuff, and change it every year. No problems at all with that either.
    I think with regular changes, preferably before the recommended time, there will be no issues with either antifreeze you use.
    It's just like engine oil for me,,,I never go all the way to recommened oil change intervals,,,change mine every 2,000 miles religously in all 10 cars.
    But I am a finatic about maintainance. Larry.
    Because usually your warranty is up by then. I say if you're lazy, use the green stuff, which is also corrosive, but not as much as dex-cool. Just do yourself a favor and flush your coolant system once a year. It takes 5 min with a screwdriver and a garden hose.

LOL,,,I do change mine every year reguardless, I was just wondering why it recommends going 5 years on Dexcool.
    I don't think it has anything to do with GM warranty,,,,it says in bold print on every brand of Dexcool I have seen at the store that it's a 5 year 100,000 mile antifreeze. It isn't the dealer selling this stuff. Larry.

Navy Blue Pearl
    2000 Camaro Z28

I use Dexcool al time in my Car's. It work's

i use propylene glycol(low tox prestone)ever since the rad cap and top of the rad were eatten from the dexcool.I had the dexcool changed 2 times,and i still had trouble.Now it looks good.

navy blue matallic
    2000 WS6 trans am M6

i changed mine over to use the green i hate dex cool with a passion but everyone has there opinions

Bright Red
    99 Firehawk #157 Roadster

I just swapped my thermostat tonite and it had dex in it so I topped her off with more dex, it was just flushed not too long ago.
    BTW-I am surprised no one on this fourm mentions anything about those high tech coolants or coolant additives...anyone use them??

Pewter
    2000 SS Camaro

Dexcool

Quote Originally Posted by 99'CajunFirehawk157 View Post
    I just swapped my thermostat tonite and it had dex in it so I topped her off with more dex, it was just flushed not too long ago.
    BTW-I am surprised no one on this fourm mentions anything about those high tech coolants or coolant additives...anyone use them??
    Are you talking about stuff like Redline Water Wetter? I have it in a couple of my cars, since it's easily available at a couple of auto parts stores around here like Pep Boys. I have a pair of older cars that I run aluminum heads on that I use this stuff in,,,,,honestly I don't notice any difference in temps or anything like that,,,,but redline does have some additives that I like. I run 2 bottles per car. My 72 SS454 Chevelle used to go through water pumps every 2-3 years,,,even after routine yearly antifreeze changes. It would start squeaking and soon after start seeping. High RPMS and the usual sitting 3-4 months (winter) always did them in. After putting water wetter in there with every yearly antifreeze change,,,I have now had this water pump on the car for about 6 years now (knock on wood)
    Whether coincidence or not I am not sure,,,,but I stick with water wetter in this car now.
    Royal Purple also makes something similar but anything royal purple seems impossible to find at the local stores around here so I haven't tried that.

Quote Originally Posted by 99'CajunFirehawk157 View Post
    We use the amsoil product in our off road race truck..........fwiw

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6

I use a 40/60 mix of water to dex and use water wetter. I didnt notice much of a change iin the temp gauge but the temp gauge in the 00-02 are NOT accurate.

Bright Red
    99 Firehawk #157 Roadster

coolant additives...

high tech coolants or coolant additives
    Royal Purple makes some, Redline makes one and Amsoil too, has many Royal Purple fans here I thought surely...

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Are you talking about stuff like Redline Water Wetter? I have it in a couple of my cars, since it's easily available at a couple of auto parts stores around here like Pep Boys. I have a pair of older cars that I run aluminum heads on that I use this stuff in,,,,,honestly I don't notice any difference in temps or anything like that,,,,but redline does have some additives that I like. I run 2 bottles per car. My 72 SS454 Chevelle used to go through water pumps every 2-3 years,,,even after routine yearly antifreeze changes. It would start squeaking and soon after start seeping. High RPMS and the usual sitting 3-4 months (winter) always did them in. After putting water wetter in there with every yearly antifreeze change,,,I have now had this water pump on the car for about 6 years now (knock on wood)
    Whether coincidence or not I am not sure,,,,but I stick with water wetter in this car now.
    Royal Purple also makes something similar but anything royal purple seems impossible to find at the local stores around here so I haven't tried that.
    You'll only see a difference if you eliminate the ethylene glycol totally. There is something that counteracts the two when together......... So we usually only run 10% antifreeze just on the street cars for added lube. On any track cars we usually see about a 7-10 degrees drop with the RedLine Water Wetter. The Royal Purple works too it just costs more. People use all that stuff out here in the desert.
    In intercoolers that had antifreeze before and swap them to water and WaterWetter.......BIG DIFFERENCE
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

I use Dexcool. Thats what it came with so I figure its ok.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

No additives.
    Dexcool 50/50 I believe.

Temp is right were it should be...even with the iron block in mine.
    195-205 when driving around...gets around 215-220 idling though, but some of that is the underdrive pulley.

Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

Distilled water and one bottle of water wetter.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Quote Originally Posted by LS2Tuner View Post
    If you don't put there stupid tabblets in;that shit eats aluminum like NO tomorrow!!! We have got some VERY high voltage readings out of some customers cars coolant before we changed it out. If your running "orange" try it. Take a multimeter and ground one probe and put the other in the coolant and see what you get.
    But thats how they can tell real quick on a warr. issue weather or not it has recieved it required services. They do everything for a reason!

The first thing to get flushed and changed in anything I drive.
    Including the 05 Goat with a $550 Mazier pump. http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...53453_-1_10135
    It keeps it cooler than the stock pump even in the heat out here!
    I've seen green coolant eat aluminum also (on a early 90s Cadillac with tabblets). THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH DEXCOOL AS LONG AS YOU CHANGE IT WHEN ITS DUE

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

Dexcool 50/50
    Change it every spring & have a clean, clear, non gummed up coolant system for the past 8 years.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information