Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

Do i need a tune after header and ory instail?

Car is running good but a buddy has seriously pushed the idea, just curious what ya'll think.
    Have pacesetter lt and ory and was curious if i need a tune to keep the motor safe or if it should be good to go.
    Thanks for any info
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

Im not sure what your mods are, but a bolt on LS1 w/ headers will most likely run a bit rich. A tune will definitely fix this. However, many people hold off on a header tune because of the high price of tuning, and just wait for future mods: FI, Heads, cam, etc.

So, youll definately be ok if you dont tune. Ive been running my Hooker long tubes w/ ORY for about two years, still no problems.

Red
    1999 Trans Am

... agree with shift down. Find a local performance shop or club that's doing a dyno-day and pay $0 to have them dyno your car and lean it out a bit.

Silver
    1998 WS6 M6

I dont think tuning a bolton car is worth it unless you don't plan to go any further with it. Any money spent on tuning can be put twords a cam, head/cam swap.. or somthing more significant that would warrant tuning. IMO its just throwing money away.

Red
    1999 Trans Am

A lot of different opinions on this subject. I can tell you that I gained major power after these changes, below. They were all done the same weekend.

1. Swapped from high-flow JBA shorty headers to well-ported MAC's
    2. Swapped out the LS1 intake for an SL1 intake
    3. Ported the TB
    4. ORY pipe replaced the catted one ... catted one had Random Tech high-flow bullets.

From making these changes, I LOST HP ... dropped from 335 RWHP to 317 RWHP. It was mostly A/F adjustment, but, by the time I left the shop (same shop, same dyno, same tuner, nearly same weather conditions), I was at 360 RWHP ... saw similar RWTQ drops and gains, as well.

So, the loss was 18 RWHP. The tuning netted me 43 RWHP. As stated, I'd go to a Dyno Day or local club 'tuning day' and have the tuner set your A/F ratio and dyno it ... over 3 runs, they should be able to reel in to meet your needs. You're only out about $40.00 and you have a dyno sheet in hand and a good baseline so you know where your car stands power-wise. Plus, you know you're motor is running at near-optimal levels.

I do agree it would be a fruitless effort to pay $500+ to fully tune a bolt-on car. I feel it's VERY important to get your A/F set for a nearly full bolton setup, though.

Thread Information