Do I need new hood struts?

This is a discussion on Do I need new hood struts? within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I have a WS9 hood which has sadly been sitting on my car for about a year not aligned *sigh* ...

Black
    1995 Firebird

Do I need new hood struts?

I have a WS9 hood which has sadly been sitting on my car for about a year not aligned *sigh*

Anyways do I need lighter hood struts as from when I recall putting on my hood I disconnected the hood struts that are on there now as it felt like it may damage the hood...maybe I was worrying to much but still?

If I do where can I buy new ones? If not then thanks and as I plan on finally aligning it and reattaching the stock hood struts since its getting more nice out.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Autozone has new ones. I just installed mine two days ago and finally got them finished painting tonight. There is no specific number. Just take your old ones in and find one that has less tension then yours but is the same size. I got ones with more tension. It does feel like its harder on the hood but I hate having a saggy ass hood.

Black
    1995 Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by JoshieDoom View Post
    Autozone has new ones. I just installed mine two days ago and finally got them finished painting tonight. There is no specific number. Just take your old ones in and find one that has less tension then yours but is the same size. I got ones with more tension. It does feel like its harder on the hood but I hate having a saggy ass hood.
    Why'd you get more tension? So the ones I have now are fine then as they were perfectly fine just wasn't sure since now I have the WS9 hood..

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by Firebird Phoenix View Post
    Why'd you get more tension? So the ones I have now are fine then as they were perfectly fine just wasn't sure since now I have the WS9 hood..
    I wouldnt worry about them unless you have to put harmful pressure on the hood. I got newer ones because A. The ones had 158k on them at the time.. and B. I had to use them on our tractor doors... my dad hit a tree and broke them.. ironically.. the same part....

Black
    1995 Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by JoshieDoom View Post
    I wouldnt worry about them unless you have to put harmful pressure on the hood. I got newer ones because A. The ones had 158k on them at the time.. and B. I had to use them on our tractor doors... my dad hit a tree and broke them.. ironically.. the same part....
    Ah ok. Well i'll go ahead and reattach the stock ones to the WS9 hood and hopefully doesn't crack the hood...to bad the weather is crappy again.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by Firebird Phoenix View Post
    Ah ok. Well i'll go ahead and reattach the stock ones to the WS9 hood and hopefully doesn't crack the hood...to bad the weather is crappy again.
    Know the feeling. Tornado warnings all damn day

Thread Information