Discontinued Battery Cable.

This is a discussion on Discontinued Battery Cable. within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; The battery in my wifes car (97 Z-28) sprung a nasty leak on the positive battery post and corroded the ...

Discontinued Battery Cable.

The battery in my wifes car (97 Z-28) sprung a nasty leak on the positive battery post and corroded the cable to the point that the nut is welded and won't turn.

I stopped at GM yesterday only to find this cable has been discontinued.

I can probably save the cable if I remove the battery with cable attatched and gain some much more needed room to work on it. Clean and prep the cable and install a new bolt.

Would be nice though if a new OEM replacement cable was available just in case things went wrong.

Part number is 12157373

Anyone know of a supplier here or elsewhere that would carry this particular positive battery cable????? I can still obtain the negative cable easily.

I've checked around with no luck,,,even the local parts stores don't show anything in the books for it,,,,and what I have seen on the racks quite frankly scares the hell outa me . I don't want something I have to splice and dice. Internet hasn't turned up much of anything either.
    Any help is appreciated.

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

Why not just snip off the end and replace with a new terminal end, you can pick one up at any local parts store...
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

Quote Originally Posted by sunsetorangess View Post
    Why not just snip off the end and replace with a new terminal end, you can pick one up at any local parts store...
    J
    Naaa,,,no snipping and splicing here. I just can't bear to do that kind of stuff to the car. Those types of splices just invite more corrosion on down the road.

I would rather have OEM replacement, or do my best to save the existing cable.

I'm pretty sure once I have the battery out of the car, it will allow me to turn the entire cable since the nut is frozen, something I cannot do in the car. Once it's off I should be able to free up the bolt, clean and reinstall new bolt, install new battery and go.

Ideally though, I would like to have an entirely new OEM cable and do the job once and do it right.

I was kinda hoping some of these camaro suppliers were repopping a factory replacement style cable. I can't find one though

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I think what he was getting at though is just replacing the end. Not sure how much extra cable there is but that's really easy to do with almost no chance of having problems out of it. The new end will just clamp down onto the cable end. The other option is to go to a parts store and buy the cable and ends and just make your own cable.

Thread Information