To Dexcool or not to Dexcool, this is my question.

This is a discussion on To Dexcool or not to Dexcool, this is my question. within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; My coolant light came on the other day so I checked it and the radiator is gunked up with brown ...

Mystic Teal
    1999 Trans am

To Dexcool or not to Dexcool, this is my question.

My coolant light came on the other day so I checked it and the radiator is gunked up with brown sludge. Definitely time for a flush and a change. The car was like that when I bought it, but it seems the guy who had the car before me switched to the green coolant. My question is should I keep using the green coolant that he was using or should I switch back to factory recommended dexcool. I've heard mixed reviews of both, but that the most important thing was not to mix the two. Some people say that by using dexcool, doing regular changes and keeping the fluid topped off, their car stays clean as a whistle. Other people seem to say dexcool turns into an evil acid that will eat your car from the inside out : O. Either way I know they shouldn't be mixed and it seems a little too late for that so I was just wondering if I keep using what the previous owner had in it (probably Prestone green) or flush it and go with dex?

Black/Black
    98 WS6/04 Sierra Dmax

The problem with the dex cool is that it eats away at the gaskets such as head and intake gaskets. The problem with the green and that it is corrosive to the aluminum. My recommendation would be either Peak Global or a green that says you can mix with any color. I use the global in my vehicels.
    Last edited by cpop98ws6; 08-08-2011 at 09:29 AM.

White w/black leather
    1995 Ford Cobra #259

I've heard nothing good about dexcool!!!

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Mystic Teal
    1999 Trans am

Hey thanks for the input, I still have one more question though. I started looking at buying everything and I realized it's gonna cost me just as much for the materials as it would to take it somewhere and get it flushed. My only question now is... do the machines they use do as good of a job as multiple rinses in a diy job? Which is better?

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Our car has 76,000 miles on it and I run Dexcool. I flushed the cooling system shortly after we purchased the car in 2008 and just dropped a gallon out the other day to remove my P/S cooler from the upper radiator hose. The drained fluid looked like new and the inside of the radiator, upper hose and P/S cooler were all immaculate. There is absolutely nothing wrong with running Dexcool so long as you change it as recommended and never mix it with the green stuff. If the cooling system is already frogged up on your car from lack of maintenance, you could run moose piss in it and it won't make any difference -- it is a failure waiting to happen. Carefully inspect the entire cooling system and if the radiator is truly gunked up replace it now and save yourself a bigger headache later.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

The flush machines do a crappy job in my opinion, especially if you really need to flush out a system.
    Dexcool is actually a great coolant. There is absolutely nothing wrong with it. It doesn't eat gaskets. The key is maintenance. Both green and dex coolant can turn acidic if not flushed regularly. I've seen plenty of corroded/pitted aluminum intakes and engine blocks due to lack of green coolant flushes.

Black/Black
    98 WS6/04 Sierra Dmax

From what I got from talking with my boss is that the dex cool is good as long as you change it frequently. The problems start when you don't maintain it, then it starts eating away at the plastic and aluminium. He also mentioned that if any air gets into the system, weather it is a leaky cap or a leak in the system, or just lack of maintenance it will make all the metal squeaky clean because of the 2-EHA's in the coolant. Because of the metal being so clean it causes the metal to rust faster that is why so many of the dex-cool systems produce the brown sludge that chokes up the radiators.
    Last edited by cpop98ws6; 08-09-2011 at 08:04 AM.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

coolant becomes corrosive after an extended time. If you change it frecuently you don't have any issues. Im not sure how can it be cheaper to do the system flush with the machine because is normally way more expensive. Be careful that they are just draining the radiator. I did the DIY flush and it not so bad to do it.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

If you have green, keep green. I flushed my dex out mainly b/c I have so much green around the house. All of my vehicles take green so it's easier for me.

Green is sold more places than dex if your in a pinch and you don't have to sweat if the place where you get it flushed at does a perfect job or not.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Just an FYI: The factory service manual recommends against utilizing a chemical flushing agent in our engines. Maybe Cutlass or FBJ can shed some light on that. Also, you almost have to drop the block drains to do the job right. There is a ton of coolant that remains in the engine after draining the radiator and removing the thermostat housing.

Thread Information