Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Dex Cool engine coolant??????????

This is a discussion on Dex Cool engine coolant?????????? within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; From my limited understanding the rotella line is intended for severduty/large truck applications. So it may be formulated differant, because ...

black
    2002 WS6

From my limited understanding the rotella line is intended for severduty/large truck applications. So it may be formulated differant, because those sytems are generally filterd. I prefer my self to stick with what came with the car. What goes out is what goes in, but new.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by YoMommasTA View Post
    all i know is the factory fill ate the cap twice,third time i replaced it and the coolant with no tox polyprolene.Which if you read up on it is very user friendly,safe to touch(unlike ethylene glycol dexcool)and protects much better.I have no idea why the car companies don't use it.I've had good luck with the green stuff too.210k miles on our 89 camaro and the alum rad looks like brand new inside.No rust or corroision.I had the dexcool in the tA changed twice.Once @ 36k and then @ 50k,still ate the rad cap every year and it also ate the top of the radiator where the cap seals.
    There must be a reason manufactuers don't use the Polyprolene...probably doesn't last as long and needs to be changed more often. And with the recent manufacturer intervals of 100K-150K miles, people will get a negative impression if they need to do any extra work, like change it at 50K instead.

God forbid people should have to do regular service on their cars

Hugger Orange
    1999 Camaro Z-28

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    God forbid people should have to do regular service on their cars
    oh my god!
    i should change my oil every 3k/3 months and not 1 million miles & ten years???????????????????????

i want a refund!!!

people suck

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Here is one of the thread we already did this a couple of times if your really looking for info about the coolant.............Which Do You Use?
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

Black
    1998 Trans Am M6

No Dex-Cool issues here
    95 Exploder

01 R1 coming?

another neat thing about the no tox Propylene Glycol is you can dump it and not worry about it hurting anything,plus it doesn't smell like azz.The only signs i was having trouble was the overflow tank looked brown and crappy and the rad cap was badly damaged.the inside of the radiator etc looked fine.I think the trouble was the overflow was open to air so thats why it was damaging the cap.Since the change to Propylene Glycol everything looks like it should.
    Last edited by YoMommasTA; 02-21-2007 at 05:44 AM.

black
    2002 WS6

NON Toxic is a misnomer, it should be less toxic. The anti corrosives and other addiitives are just as harmfull, it just won't kill your pets and kids as fast as ethylene glycol, DO NOT DUMP AND NO CARE. Treat it as you would any chemical.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Orcus79 View Post
    NON Toxic is a misnomer, it should be less toxic. The anti corrosives and other addiitives are just as harmfull, it just won't kill your pets and kids as fast as ethylene glycol, DO NOT DUMP AND NO CARE. Treat it as you would any chemical.
    Exactly, its called "Low Tox", not "No Tox". Its still hazardous to people and animals, and it still contaminates ground water.

What I don't understand is why its so damn hard to make a coolant non-toxic and environmentally friendly. It has 3 requirements - high boiling point, low freezing point, and heat absorbing. What is so difficult about that?? With all the new technology we have these days we should have something better by now.

no they both say they are safe(low tox and reg) to dump on the ground.Look at prestones site.they claim after 24 hrs its gone and safe. http://www.vspn.org/Library/misc/VSPN_M00981.htm

00 LS1, WS6, V8 Gremlin
    96 & 98 GTPs, 64 'Cuda

polyethylene glycol is present in a ton of stuff you use every day, even in a lot of soft drinks. In small amounts it won't kill you but you can't just drink it.

http://www.jtbaker.com/msds/englishhtml/p5029.htm

It's not used as you'd expect because it's more expensive and breaks down more easily with heat.

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/ant.aspx that says it all,its the only anfifreeze amsoil sells! if its good enough for amsoil to sell only that then there is no better. dexcool bit my weenie,now it doesn't squirt.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Crowe View Post
    polyethylene glycol is present in a ton of stuff you use every day, even in a lot of soft drinks. In small amounts it won't kill you but you can't just drink it.

http://www.jtbaker.com/msds/englishhtml/p5029.htm

It's not used as you'd expect because it's more expensive and breaks down more easily with heat.
    polyethylene glycol is not propylene glycol,polyethylene glycol is a different product.propylene glycol is what low tox antifreeze is made from. What happens to ethylene glycol and propylene glycol when they enter the environment?

Neither compound is likely to exist in large amounts in air.
    About half of the compounds that enter the air will break down in 24-50 hours.
    Both compounds break down within several days to a week in water and soil.
    http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/tfacts96.html

00 LS1, WS6, V8 Gremlin
    96 & 98 GTPs, 64 'Cuda

Sorry, pasted the wrong link:

http://www.jtbaker.com/msds/englishhtml/p6928.htm

Fact is neither will last too long unless kept in a relatively sealed system.

If I recall Gm put out a TSB about changing from Dexcool back to green, just a matter ofa good flush + more frequent maintenance. Dexcool is pretty much the same as green, just different additives.

i like the fact the propylene doesn't smell like azz and so far the overflow tank and rad cap looks good.

RED
    2001 CAMARO Z

i just got something in the mail about a class action law suit for GM. it states the stuff does sludge up

RED 35TH ANIVERSARY PKG
    2002 CAMARO SS 35th LE

Hey Dude.. You Don't Have To Worry About Using Dex-cool Coolant.. I Read An Articule On The Dex Stuff And Its Okay To Use On Camaro's Apparently.. I Have Read That If You Have A Buick Or Gm's Engine 3.8l That Using The Dex-cool Could Damage The Front Seal On The Intake Manifold.. I Have Not Heard Of Anything Getting Damage In A Camaro Tho.. And If You Plan On Using The Green Stuff (prestone) Then You Have To Change It More Fequenlty Every 2 Yrs. Instead Of 5yrs With Dex-coo Coolant..

00 LS1, WS6, V8 Gremlin
    96 & 98 GTPs, 64 'Cuda

The lower intake manifold gaskets on the L36 & L67 3.8L, the LQ1 3.4L and especially all the L82 3.1L were prone to leak but I don't think the coolant could be blamed as they always broke down around the same area. My guess is heat or a manufacturing defect would be more likely the cause.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Well I guess I am gonna put the same stuff in it that it came with. The only reason I am doing that is because of the aluminum engine. I think I am gonna take it and get it flushed out with that special machine like that one guy was talking about because I am pretty sure the previous owner never changed coolant. I will probably buy a new cap just to be sure no air is gettin in.
    Thanks again everybody for your input!!!!---mike

RED 35TH ANIVERSARY PKG
    2002 CAMARO SS 35th LE

YEAH I THINK IT WAS THE DESIGN... APPRANTENTLY SOME OTHER OEM COMPANIES MAKE THE INTAKE MANIFOLD BETTER AND CORRECTED THE PROBLEM.. BUT HE DUDE THEIR IS NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT IF YOU DON'T HAVE ANY OF THOSE ENGINES..

bright rally red
    2002 ss 35th

lets say for example my car has 41000kms on it and is five years old. now do i have to flush it regardless even if the miles are on the low side.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information