Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Descreen the MAF

This is a discussion on Descreen the MAF within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by gnomee Removing the screen may not be much of a mod for the un-modded car but it ...

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by gnomee View Post
    Removing the screen may not be much of a mod for the un-modded car but it in no way has any bad effects. I've been without it for a LONG time along with alot of others that are so tired of this topic they just don't post. ......

Well that's not entirely accurate. The MAF's reporting can be skewed; you don't neccessarily have to change the amount of air moving through it, you can change how it moves through it and introduce error. Removing the screen always causes the MAF to report higher airflow than it did with the screen. At WOT, without tuning, you will pay for this by having your mixture fattened up. Richening up WOT (unless somehow you are in lean territory, which is very rare for an untuned car, especially with boltons) will cost you HP. Leaning out a rich mixture presents the largest and most fundamental gain on the rollers. An example of skewing the MAF... recently, I retuned a boltons car that took a lid off and went back to a stock lid. To get part throttle fueling right, I had to add 9%-11% all over the place. Normally you'd think if you have to add that kind of fuel, power will have gone up, but in the real world, there is a loss going back to a stock lid. The reason things had to be fattened back up was the MAF's previous calibration was skewed by changing the way that the air entered the engine.

I agree, in the short time that I have been here it has already become a very tired topic.

Personally I say that if you wanna pull it, do it about time you get tuned.

Red
    2001 Z28

okay,i descreen the MAF when i have my tune.Its too much risk for me to damage my baby.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

I just said all it would do is make you more rich at WOT... I didn't say anything about tearing it up

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

i've had the screen out of mine since the day i got my car back in 99... i started with the free mods the day i got home and parked in hte driveway...

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    i've had the screen out of mine since the day i got my car back in 99... i started with the free mods the day i got home and parked in hte driveway...

Along with 5 different popped motors.

Leave the MAF alone. Don't upgrade. Don't descreen.
    2008 Trailblazer SS
    Yank PTB3600, Kooks 1 7/8" LT's, 4" intake, E-fans, Magnaflow, Sonnax kit, tranny cooler, tune.
    Lowered, HID's, tinted.

1999 Pontiac Trans Am WS.6 #1747 SOLD
    531.1 RWHP 481.3 FT/Pounds all motor.

Sinister, SixGun
    2001 SS, 2002 L36 M5

we had 5 Fbodies at the shop today, all descreened

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Then you had 5 folks who own LSX's cars and just follow the dumbshits over the internet cliff.

NBM
    2001 CAMARO

I just stuffed mine with steel wool........ or was it insulation,,,,,who knows but it did re route the incoming air,

Sinister, SixGun
    2001 SS, 2002 L36 M5

Then you had 5 folks who own LSX's cars and just follow the dumbshits over the internet cliff.
    yep thats exactly it. oh how we love to dive off of the proverbial cliff.

i guess it sucks that my SS ran a 7.64 with a de-screened MAF

and maxwhacks runs 11.50's with one

and i have no AF problems

and well,

but its okay cause you don't own any of our death-trap, waiting to explode LSX cars

2001 M6 SS - few mods...

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by Fury_786 View Post
    yep thats exactly it. oh how we love to dive off of the proverbial cliff.

i guess it sucks that my SS ran a 7.64 with a de-screened MAF

and maxwhacks runs 11.50's with one

and i have no AF problems

and well,

but its okay cause you don't own any of our death-trap, waiting to explode LSX cars

Maybe you missed all that I took time to write... tho you mention AFR error so you must have read at least part of it.

Did maxwax (whatever) run 11.50 untuned? No; I didn't think so.

IN BIG LETTERS SO THAT YOU SEE IT THIS TIME. IF YOU CHOOSE TO REMOVE THE SCREEN FROM YOUR MAF IT'S UP TO YOU, JUST GET IT TUNED TO CORRECT THE EXTRA FUEL THAT WILL END UP ON YOUR CAR AT WOT.

and I'm out....
    Last edited by Frost; 04-01-2008 at 06:38 PM.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

You could have run those times with a screened MAF. Your trying to tell me you wouldn't have run those times with a screen and the de-screened MAF is 100% of the reason you didnt run what? A 11.50? Get fucking real man......I dont own any LSX car? WTF are you smoking?
    So OK...your de-screened MAF got you over 4 seconds better 1/4 mile times according to your post and I dont own a LSX car. Welcome to the cliff.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

And another thing.....after I started getting in the 10's I was running a SD tune anyway. Fuck a MAF. You running in the 7's with a MAF? This shit is starting to smell a little fishy.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    Maybe you missed all that I took time to write, or you failed to understand it, which seems more the case since you are talking abotu my reference to AFR error.

Did maxwax (whatever) run 11.50 untuned? No; I didn't think so.

IN BIG LETTERS SO THAT YOU SEE IT THIS TIME. IF YOU CHOOSE TO REMOVE THE SCREEN FROM YOUR MAF IT'S UP TO YOU, JUST GET IT TUNED TO CORRECT THE EXTRA FUEL THAT WILL END UP ON YOUR CAR AT WOT.

and I'm out....
    LOL.....

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

Sarge dont you have a mustang?

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

I guess so....and you can get 4 full seconds off your 1/4 mile time by de-screening your MAF....this thread is unreal man.....

Sinister, SixGun
    2001 SS, 2002 L36 M5

you can chose to believe what you want. 11.50's in the 1/4 7.60's in the 1/8

your comprehension skills are obviously lacking so there is no need for me to resort to name calling or sarcasm to make you feel any more dense that you appear to be.

and to clairify further for you, i was trying to get at that our cars, and many more, run perfectly fine without a MAF screen. no, its not the only mod, if thats what you're implying, then you might as well go to sleep in the middle of the interstate tonight. AF = Air Fuel, short for afr, yes we know that.

wait, wait...did i say my car wasnt tuned? nope or max's, nope, and as someone mentioned, de-screen it, tune it, its simple.

sorry for trying to offer a little different perspective than OMG DONT DESCREEN THE MAFFZ.

asshats ftl

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by Fury_786 View Post
    you can chose to believe what you want. 11.50's in the 1/4 7.60's in the 1/8

your comprehension skills are obviously lacking so there is no need for me to resort to name calling or sarcasm to make you feel any more dense that you appear to be.

and to clairify further for you, i was trying to get at that our cars, and many more, run perfectly fine without a MAF screen. no, its not the only mod, if thats what you're implying, then you might as well go to sleep in the middle of the interstate tonight. AF = Air Fuel, short for afr, yes we know that.

wait, wait...did i say my car wasnt tuned? nope or max's, nope, and as someone mentioned, de-screen it, tune it, its simple.

sorry for trying to offer a little different perspective than OMG DONT DESCREEN THE MAFFZ.

asshats ftl
    OK...lets have an intervention.....
    Now we are running 1/4 miles and 1/8 miles. Show me where you differentiated there pal....You just flat ass stated the times and credited the entire thing to a de-screened MAF. Name calling?
    You post a pic of a MAF blown all to hell....and tell us all "don't worry it was because of a backfire" or some such shit......DUH....maybe running a little rich there are we? Yeah I'm dense....you bet buddy...and you proving beyond any reasonable doubt you should not reproduce and more importantly never post up about shit you have no knowledge about.Yes the cars run with a de-screened MAF...but the higher IQ crowd are pointing out to those with a brain that they do not really gain anything and should at the least get it tuned properly to run properly after removing the screen....for no gains....so why did we take the screen out again there genius?

Sinister, SixGun
    2001 SS, 2002 L36 M5

very nice use of the thesaurus there buddy.

i understand that you feel the need to argue and debate, maybe you should try poiltics.

you, that being yourself, stated:
    therefore making any response by me justified in which soever form id so choose.

now to break it down for you, i wasn't trying to be a smart ass, nor to offer an uneducated opinion on the topic, since i do believe that i have a fair knowledge of some of these things.

basically what im saying is that you need to relax...drink a beer, do whatever it is that you like to do, and chill the hell out. and remember, its the internet...who cares

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

WTF? Are you bi-polar? Use of the thesaurus? I'll match my three pieces of paper with anybody in the education department there slick. But more importantly I'll go toe to toe with any wrench/tuner out there..and have earned it in the real world. Relax? No. People who don't know any better read these post. They deserve an accurate answer.
    Either leave your MAF screen alone or go with an SD tune.

Sinister, SixGun
    2001 SS, 2002 L36 M5

bi-polar, no, but i dont get worked up over some text on my screen.

however, i agree that people who dont know, do need to tune it or leave it,

and my blown MAF was from my bottle running out of juice and only spraying fuel. i dont know where the screen went, some through the motor i guess, and there was a nice metallic haze all over the engine bay. information useful when i posted the pic, yes, but oh well.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information