Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 43

Descreen the MAF

This is a discussion on Descreen the MAF within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Makes it sense to descreen the MAF on a `99 Z28 to get a better flow? I have the SLP ...

  1. #1
    Junior Member Endorphin187's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    19

    Red
    2001 Z28

    Descreen the MAF

    Makes it sense to descreen the MAF on a `99 Z28 to get a better flow?
    I have the SLP CAI Package installed.

  2. #2
    caraholic ggino85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    most miserable city in the US
    Age
    32
    Posts
    568

    blue green chameleon
    1998 Trans Am

    i assume ur asking if it will give you better airflow(better performance), the answer is no. i dont think i've ever heard or read that someone has had a noticeable difference from doing this. also i have taken my intake apart and found a twig stuck in the screen so i would leave it there for peace of mind if i were u.

  3. #3
    old timer blue02Z's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Texas
    Age
    31
    Posts
    3,805

    Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

    this topic has been beat like a red headed step child. ^^^the answer is def. no, that screen is not to trap things, it is to straighten air so your maf can measure correctly, without that screen it wont get as accurate of a reading it should.

  4. #4
    Grand Imperial Wizard Sarge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Texas Department of Corrections
    Posts
    18,129
    Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

    Fuck no. Leave it alone.

  5. #5
    Member slpcamaro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    sunnyvale
    Posts
    453

    silver
    98 ss camaro

    leave it alone

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Newport, RI
    Posts
    1,550

    Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

    No. I pulled my airbox apart to install a lid, and I found all kind of junk stuck on the MAF screen. If it wasn't for the screen, it'd would have been sucked right into the engine.

  7. #7
    Member 408WS6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Houston
    Age
    50
    Posts
    401

    Current best: 10.60/126.8
    1998 Pontiac TA WS6

    The problem is that when you descreen it, you will need to recalibrate the MAF by retuning it. You won't gain but maybe 2 hp. As others have said, I'd just leave it alone for now.

  8. #8
    Member 408WS6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Houston
    Age
    50
    Posts
    401

    Current best: 10.60/126.8
    1998 Pontiac TA WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by StuntmanMike View Post
    No. I pulled my airbox apart to install a lid, and I found all kind of junk stuck on the MAF screen. If it wasn't for the screen, it'd would have been sucked right into the engine.
    Same thing happened to me. Took the lid off and found a big dead bug trapped on the maf screen. Dont ask me how it got by the air filter.

  9. #9
    Ebaaaaaaaaa Speedy_Gonzales's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    11,019

    Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

    Quote Originally Posted by blue02Z View Post
    this topic has been beat like a red headed step child. ^^^the answer is def. no, that screen is not to trap things, it is to straighten air so your maf can measure correctly, without that screen it wont get as accurate of a reading it should.
    but it will trap stuff..........I found a piece of a leaf on mine

  10. #10
    Veteran 0rion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    ohio
    Posts
    22,520

    98 Formula
    06 duramax

    if you guys are finding stuff like that on the screen then I would be trying to figure out how it got there. Your filter should catch all of that stuff.

  11. #11
    Ebaaaaaaaaa Speedy_Gonzales's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    11,019

    Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

    Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    if you guys are finding stuff like that on the screen then I would be trying to figure out how it got there. Your filter should catch all of that stuff.
    that was the only time I have ever found anything, but with no screen it would have been trouble

  12. #12
    We'll be back... GatorSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    THE SWAMP
    Posts
    1,446

    Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

    Quote Originally Posted by blue02Z View Post
    this topic has been beat like a red headed step child. ^^^the answer is def. no, that screen is not to trap things, it is to straighten air so your maf can measure correctly, without that screen it wont get as accurate of a reading it should.
    Straighten the air? No, No, NO! Man, that's like a governor on these cars, but now I know the truth! Straight is no good! But SWIRLING air is bad @$$ to the max! That's why tornadoes are so powerful, it's the swirling air! I did not know this secret until I met this super smart race car builder and driver (he's also a rocket scientist) who showed me the secret and the proof! After listening to him, I knew he was right about everything.

    He sold me this awesome invention he calls the Tornado, because it's so powerful! He said it puts the secret power of the tornado right under my hood. And like he told me, it is well worth the $595 (after the discount) I paid for it.

    Like you, I was skeptical at first, because of the straight air theory and all. Even after his demonstration almost completely convinced me of the secret power, I still had a little skepticism. But he told me I needed it, so I bought it.

    Then I couldn't believe it myself after his racing shop installed the Tornado, because, well.... Let's just say I almost felt I was tricked. I waffled back and forth in my mind about it. One one hand, I thought my car was more powerful, since he said it even sounded more powerful. But on the other hand, it didn't feel any different. I was a moderate, not knowing what to think. I felt hopeless, but had hope at the same time, depending on the weather and time of day, and some other things. I couldn't take it. I wanted change, the kind of change wherein I can hope and have hope and believe.

    The next day I saw the Master of Change for Hope, the inventor of the secret & powerful Tornado. He said he knew how to make it all better, because.... well because he knew how, that's how!

    So I didn't have to worry! He was right!

    And he found the problem immediately. He told me I had to let my engine warm up first before using the secret power of the Tornado. Something about warmer air swirling better, or something, but I knew it was about swirling air, because straight air is just wrong; it has no power, it has never fed a hungry child, and it's never given even one of the 100s of millions of sick children the free and unlimited health care that everyone deserves. If straight air is so powerful, why don't hurricanes use it? They use swirling air!

  13. #13
    Senior Member mrr23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    orlando, fl
    Posts
    7,134

    dark bowling green
    2000 corvette

    Quote Originally Posted by GatorSS View Post
    Straighten the air? No, No, NO! Man, that's like a governor on these cars, but now I know the truth! Straight is no good! But SWIRLING air is bad @$$ to the max! That's why tornadoes are so powerful, it's the swirling air! I did not know this secret until I met this super smart race car builder and driver (he's also a rocket scientist) who showed me the secret and the proof! After listening to him, I knew he was right about everything.

    He sold me this awesome invention he calls the Tornado, because it's so powerful! He said it puts the secret power of the tornado right under my hood. And like he told me, it is well worth the $595 (after the discount) I paid for it.

    Like you, I was skeptical at first, because of the straight air theory and all. Even after his demonstration almost completely convinced me of the secret power, I still had a little skepticism. But he told me I needed it, so I bought it.

    Then I couldn't believe it myself after his racing shop installed the Tornado, because, well.... Let's just say I almost felt I was tricked. I waffled back and forth in my mind about it. One one hand, I thought my car was more powerful, since he said it even sounded more powerful. But on the other hand, it didn't feel any different. I was a moderate, not knowing what to think. I felt hopeless, but had hope at the same time, depending on the weather and time of day, and some other things. I couldn't take it. I wanted change, the kind of change wherein I can hope and have hope and believe.

    The next day I saw the Master of Change for Hope, the inventor of the secret & powerful Tornado. He said he knew how to make it all better, because.... well because he knew how, that's how!

    So I didn't have to worry! He was right!

    And he found the problem immediately. He told me I had to let my engine warm up first before using the secret power of the Tornado. Something about warmer air swirling better, or something, but I knew it was about swirling air, because straight air is just wrong; it has no power, it has never fed a hungry child, and it's never given even one of the 100s of millions of sick children the free and unlimited health care that everyone deserves. If straight air is so powerful, why don't hurricanes use it? They use swirling air!
    that's funny right there!! i don't care who you are!!!

  14. #14
    Junior Member txman4362's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    dallas
    Posts
    29

    purple and black
    98 z28

    when i bought my 98 z , the screen had already been removed. do they sell just the screen or do i need to buy a new maf ?

  15. #15
    old timer blue02Z's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Texas
    Age
    31
    Posts
    3,805

    Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28


  16. #16
    Veteran 0rion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    ohio
    Posts
    22,520

    98 Formula
    06 duramax

    funny or not if you make another post quoting a PM you're getting a warning.

  17. #17
    Internet Tough Guy Fury_786's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Oregon
    Age
    31
    Posts
    698

    Sinister, SixGun
    2001 SS, 2002 L36 M5

    i took mine out



    thats the result of a backfire.

    Descreen the shit outta it.

    2001 M6 SS - few mods...

  18. #18
    Member jujofields's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Posts
    900

    Pewter Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS.6

    Don't Descreen It!

  19. #19
    Member WS6ICK2K's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pittsboro NC
    Posts
    587

    Metallic Blue
    2000 Trans Am WS6

    I recently bought the book How to build and modify ls1 engines, and it said the initial design of the MAF screen was in fact to straighten airflow as many of you said, but they recomended taking it out for better air flow. They also said that it was a bad design which they later did away with the newer vettes. I agree with you guys, but I just thought I would through in this info. It's the same book they used on Horsepower TV if you wanna check it out.

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Tulsa,OK
    Age
    37
    Posts
    914

    Quick Silver
    2002 Z06

    Removing the screen may not be much of a mod for the un-modded car but it in no way has any bad effects. I've been without it for a LONG time along with alot of others that are so tired of this topic they just don't post.

    I have no idea who put that out there and why everyone believes it but it is ONLY there to protect the MAF. Here is a link to the SLP site that clearly states removing it will increase CFM, they do not recommend it for street use just like taking your air filter off is a bad idea for street use. http://www.slponline.com/view_product.asp?P=23060

    Also as said above the Corvettes stopped coming with it. I think after 02.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-03-2006, 08:15 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •