Depreciation Value

This is a discussion on Depreciation Value within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Does anyone think that eventually our f bodies will go up in value?...

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

Depreciation Value

Does anyone think that eventually our f bodies will go up in value?
    1999 Trans Am M6
    SLP Short Throw, Lid and CAI, BMR STB and SFC, UMI PHB, Pacesetter LT's and ORY, Magnaflow Catback, DMH 3" E-Cutout, LS7 Clutch, Motive 4.10, 160 T-Stat, MSD, !AIR, !EGR, 17x9.5 Chrome C6's wrapped in Hankook 275/40/17

Tuned at Mongillo Motors in New Haven, CT

Awaiting Activation
    yes, but not anytime soon. And only unmodded original cars will be worth anything.

1966 Corvette Coupe

eventually yes... camaros are about to crash in price due to the 09 (if it actually comes out)... im actually hoping t/a's will too so i can pick one up at a decent price... t/a's might hold value if they dont bring them back...

prolly about 15 years they will start gaining speed again, but until then... expensive paperweights...

-me

Black
    1998 Trans Am, 2007 TB SS

Yeah hopefully they won't bring them back so my T/A can become a collectors item.

White
    98 Trans AM

Man I hope they do bring back a T/A. Not to get all the Camaro people upset but I prefer the T/A as it has more "Flash" to it. Even when the F-Body was in production the 67-69 Camaros were and still are seeming to go up in value. Granted as ya'll have said though modded cars never seem to gain at all, only stock.
    98 T/A: HPE 5.3 Heads, 238/242 113 cam, Kooks 1 7/8 stepped LT headers, Custom Y pipe, Cut out, Borla, NW 90MM TB, FAST 90MM Intake, TB Bypass, Under Drive Power steering and Crank, 150 Dry NOS, Yella Terra rockers, 3400 TC, HPE tuning,

camaro prices have really been crashing a while. This car I have is very clean and runs great and I dont take it to the drags and it idles very smooth and the interior smells like new, it has great horsepower, and even fairly low miles for a 1997 (89k), but what is a 97 camaro worth in dollars? Not much. I think the reason is because all cars have come down in price unless its a more exotic / new car. My car may not be worth much in dollars, but I know I cannot buy another car anywhere equal in performance, handling, size of car, style and reliability for under 20k.. and I do not owe anythign on my car.. So I have no intention of trading.

So, in my case, a 1997, the value of my car in dollars has already crashed. But the value of the car to me is a lot more because of what I got. It's a very nice car and I can take in on a road trip today with no worries.. The only way to overcome depreciation is really to store up your car and keep the miles off it. OR, hold on to it long enough that everyone else wears out their Camaro or TA so that their car is basically junk and not driven. Then when fewer f-bodies are on the road, it makes yours and mine more valuable.

Check out this car. This car was only about 18k brand new! And its really still worth 15k easy especially to a guy like me. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1987-...QQcmdZViewItem
    Last edited by Chad97z; 09-16-2006 at 08:02 AM.

Compulsive F bomb dropper sgt0704's Avatar

silver
    1998 Z28

but then again, what's the point of having a car if you never drive the damn thing? it's like owning a $500k house, then sleeping in the back yard.

Quote Originally Posted by sgt0704 View Post
    but then again, what's the point of having a car if you never drive the damn thing? it's like owning a $500k house, then sleeping in the back yard.

I see your point and agree partially. However, some people really drive too much and waste trips and cruise around (like I used to) and really add unecessary mileage. It's ok if you can afford it and if you find pleasure in it.. But for me, I've been there and done that... and if I can save my nice car and drive my "daily driver" I will. Its like savoring the moment regarding my camaro. I try to avoid putting mileage on my car in an attempt to keep my camaro as long as I can because listen.. All cars from the time they are sold are on their way to the grave. It's an absolute. The grave has been appointed to every car. So I guess I'm just putting it off. haha But ya know.. that resembles men. It is appointed for all men to die once. Except for the remainder at his return. =)

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

There will allways be low milieage cars out there for purchase, In my op if you put the time and work into something your gonna wanna drive it. The bottom line is its only worth as much as someone will pay for it. I have driven Ta's and camaro's since i was 15 and nothings gonna change that.
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

I agree that alot of cars are "wasted " by mileage being racked up. I've done it my self before-and come to regret it. I'm keeping my 02's mileage down, in the hopes that one day it's value will appreciate. In the meantime, I do drive it, almost daily -just not frivolously.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I lean towards the other side of that way of thinking. There's not a single part on a car that can't be replaced. Why let it sit in a garage doing nothing when I can be out grinning from ear to ear driving it? I put a lot of time and money into my car not to get any enjoyment out of it. I'll be giving this car to my 3 year old son so it's not going anywhere. Miles schmiles. I'll repair or replace whatever needs done to it and keep kicking ass on the streets with it.
    It's like modding a car in the hopes of getting some of that money back. The only way to do that is de-mod the car. Mod your car, drive it like you stole it, and replace things as you go.

Thread Information