Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Silver
    2000 Camaro Z28

Delete Rear O2 Sensors?

I used the search function and did not find anything detailing this process...
    (sorry if I missed it)

I have decided to punch out my catalytic converters because they are severely plugged. It has gotten so bad that the car actually starts to stall out on me. I really don't know jack crap about what I am doing when It comes to the cars computer. So I have a few questions:

1. If I punch out the cats, will this cause the computer to shut down the car at any time or will it continue to run normally/better? (with the Check engine Light on of course)

2. How do you Delete the rear O2 sensors? (I would like the light to go off eventually) Does this involve a hand held programmer? If so what is it and where do I get it? If not what do I need to do?

I have been without a job for the last few months so the funds are kind of low. That's why I am not just ordering new cats. Any input into this is greatly appreciated.

Car Details:

2000 Z28 Camaro
    85,000 miles
    Never modified or tinkered with in anyway. (bone stock)

The cats are so badly plugged the effect at the tail pipe just feels like hot breath.

Thanks,

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

You can punch out the Cat's, It will only throw a SES light but if you go to get your car inspected you will fail. You can them tunned out or try to find some Sims for the rear.
    Are you throwing any codes?
    Also there is a TSB for our cars for the cats. Here it is. Check with your dealer and see if they will cover the replacement for free...
    Subject:
    Special Coverage Adjustment - Catalytic Converter Extended Warranty
    # 05513 - (11/27/2006)

Models:
    2000-02 CHEVROLET CAMARO
    2000-02 PONTIAC FIREBIRD

EQUIPPED WITH 5.7L V8 (RPO LSI - VIN G) ENGINE

Condition

Some customers of 2000-02 Chevrolet Camaro and 2000-02 Pontiac Firebird model vehicles, equipped with a 5.7L V8 (RPO LSI - VIN G) engine, may experience a failure of the left or right catalytic converter.

Special Coverage Adjustment

This special coverage covers the condition described above for a period of 10 years or 120,000 miles (193,000 km), whichever occurs first, from the date the vehicle was originally placed in service, regardless of ownership. The repairs will be made at no charge to the customer.

For vehicles covered by Vehicle Service Contracts, all eligible claims with repair orders on or after November 27, 2006 are covered by this special coverage and must be submitted using the labor operation codes provided with this bulletin. Claims with repair orders prior to November 27, 2006 must be submitted to the Service Contract provider.

J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

BLACK
    2001 WS-6

i have cats and rear O2 sensors i can sell ya, if they work with your car, i had a 2001 TA, all in perfect condition. if intrested ill send ya picts. $150. i also have rear O2 deletes i can sell for $80, they are still on the car though, i would have to take them off, used maybe 50 miles.
    Last edited by jeffsWS-6; 09-03-2009 at 06:35 AM.

Silver
    2000 Camaro Z28

sunsetorangess,

Thank you for the information. I just called a couple dealerships and they only cover it for 8 years or 80,000 miles. I even had them check to make sure there has not been an adjustment to that coverage. So, that rules me out on the coverage.

I am going to gut them tonight or tomorrow. I do NOT have to get the car inspected where I live.

So I would just rather gut the cats and (tune out / delete) the rear O2's. My question is: what do I need to purchase to get that accomplished?

I do not remember the code exactly, but it had something to do with "catalytic converter efficiency below normal" I had a shop in town check it out and they said that they are almost completely plugged.

jeffsWS-6

Thank you for the offer. But I am going to have do decline. Money is extremely tight right now. I have only been working for a week since I was unemployed for the last few months.

Thanks again, Everyone here seems to be very helpful!

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

Whoever you talked to was wrong and probly half retarted.
    Here is the full bulliten, print it out, take it to your local dealer and hit me up with what they say....
    Campaign - Catalytic Converter Warranty Extension
    Subject:
    Special Coverage Adjustment - Catalytic Converter Extended Warranty
    # 05513 - (11/27/2006)

Models:
    2000-02 CHEVROLET CAMARO
    2000-02 PONTIAC FIREBIRD

EQUIPPED WITH 5.7L V8 (RPO LSI - VIN G) ENGINE

Condition

Some customers of 2000-02 Chevrolet Camaro and 2000-02 Pontiac Firebird model vehicles, equipped with a 5.7L V8 (RPO LSI - VIN G) engine, may experience a failure of the left or right catalytic converter.

Special Coverage Adjustment

This special coverage covers the condition described above for a period of 10 years or 120,000 miles (193,000 km), whichever occurs first, from the date the vehicle was originally placed in service, regardless of ownership. The repairs will be made at no charge to the customer.

For vehicles covered by Vehicle Service Contracts, all eligible claims with repair orders on or after November 27, 2006 are covered by this special coverage and must be submitted using the labor operation codes provided with this bulletin. Claims with repair orders prior to November 27, 2006 must be submitted to the Service Contract provider.

Silver
    2000 Camaro Z28

Talking

Thanks, I got it printed out and I am taking it to them at lunch tomorrow. (I left off the retarded part) LOL

Where did this come from? NHTSA?
    Last edited by Speed Bump; 09-03-2009 at 01:41 PM.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

yeah, whoever you talked to at the dealership is flat ass wrong. Here's a thread where it was discussed. Post 13 is where cutlass put the info up and he's a tech at a dealership.

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread...nverter+policy

physically go to the dealership and have them look it up using that 05513 number

Silver
    2000 Camaro Z28

I just got off the phone with GM. 1 800-630-2438 They are contacting the dealership and setting up an appointment for me! If not, I have a direct extension and reference number for the claim. All I have to do is show up and present them with my information. The girl at GM was very nice and very apologetic, and said that they would get things straightened out with the dealership.

I still have the print out in my pocket now with a phone number and reference for the claim.

whoo hoo!

You guys Rock!

98 Formula
    06 duramax

glad you're getting it squared away.

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Bump View Post
    I just got off the phone with GM. 1 800-630-2438 They are contacting the dealership and setting up an appointment for me! If not, I have a direct extension and reference number for the claim. All I have to do is show up and present them with my information. The girl at GM was very nice and very apologetic, and said that they would get things straightened out with the dealership.

I still have the print out in my pocket now with a phone number and reference for the claim.

whoo hoo!

You guys Rock!
    Sweeet... Im glad its working out for ya, just stay persistant and dont let some "special" people take money out of your pocket...
    J

Silver
    2000 Camaro Z28

Went and picked my car up from the dealership today... They replace ONLY bank 1 catalytic converter. I asked them about it and they said that it was only bank one that was giving a code. GRRRRR anyway, I got about 1 mile away from the dealership and the check engine light came back on and the car still accelerates funny. or I should say, Accelerates (slowly) drops out completely, and then accelerates (slowly) again. (with steady throttle pressure. 50% power loss across the board. I took it to Advance Auto parts to get the code read again. (Same Issue) Bank 1 catalyst inefficiency. Dealership was closed by now, but I am planning on taking it back tomorrow. (maybe) I got under the car and the drivers side has a new cat in place. Just out of curiosity I tapped the passenger side cat with a hammer and it sounded like it is busted up inside. (no codes = No free repair)???

If something else is causing this problem then I would fix it my self, I just dont know what to fix.

Is there anything else that could cause this code? Because if it is something else I am going to have to pay for the code reading at the dealership on top of any labor to figure it out. (I don't want to give them any money)

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

You can try and swap the Rear two 02 sensors. Take the one from the passenger side and put it on the driverside and the driverside to the passenger side.. See if the code follows.
    J

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

Quote Originally Posted by sunsetorangess View Post
    You can try and swap the Rear two 02 sensors. Take the one from the passenger side and put it on the driverside and the driverside to the passenger side.. See if the code follows.
    Did you take it back to the dealership?
    J

Silver
    2000 Camaro Z28

Well, The saga continues... I did take it back to the dealership. Reading the same code for the catalytic converter. I told the guy when I dropped off the car, that if looks like you are going to run into any work that will end up costing 'ANYTHING' to stop and call me. I am only bringing the car back because this is a warranty issue... Well I just got a call telling me that it is the "O2 sensors" giving off erratic readings. What?....? He said it was going to cost $332.00. I told him: If it is not the cataletic converter then worry about it. I am going to come pick up the car this afternoon. He then tells me that there is going to be a diagnostic fee......................... I said, I was only bringing the car up there to have the cataletic converter issue resolved because it was under warranty. He then tells me: 'Well, I will see what I can do, but don't be suprised if there is a diagnostic fee. (F**K)

I know for a fact that they clip people $98.00 just to read a code! I only went to them because it was warranty work. That is it! Maybe I am wrong, but I do not feel that I should have to pay, even after I clearly stated to them that if it looks like anything else to stop an call me...

I think I am going to call 1800-630-2438 again and see if they can straighten this out. I am starting to get a little mad about this.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

yeah, you need to make some phone calls.

Silver
    2000 Camaro Z28

Well, I am now out $102.60 for labor... **all they did was read the code and make a guess** This is the last time I ever try to do anything with a dealership! Even if it is for warranty work! ...And I am quite literally back at square one. I want to delete the rear O2 sensors and put straight pipe in for the cats. I do not live where where we have to have emission testing... How do I get them deleted? What do I have to buy to accomplish this illusive task. The last time I worked on a cars computer was in 1995 when we put a Hypertec chip in my 1991 Camaro. The whole programmer thing is new to me.

Thanks,
    Last edited by Speed Bump; 09-17-2009 at 02:47 PM.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I would probably wait long enough for it to throw that cat code again and I'd be sitting out in front of that dealership again. You need to make some phone calls to people above the dealership level. You're getting taken for a ride.

BLACK
    2001 WS-6

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Bump View Post
    Well, I am now out $102.60 for labor... **all they did was read the code and make a guess** This is the last time I ever try to do anything with a dealership! Even if it is for warranty work! ...And I am quite literally back at square one. I want to delete the rear O2 sensors and put straight pipe in for the cats. I do not live where where we have to have emission testing... How do I get them deleted? What do I have to buy to accomplish this illusive task. The last time I worked on a cars computer was in 1995 when we put a Hypertec chip in my 1991 Camaro. The whole programmer thing is new to me.

Thanks,
    Dude the REAR O2 DELETES are only 100 buck for both of them if you buy brand new, i currently have a hypertech programer for sale and i could sell my rear O2 deletes also.
    Last edited by jeffsWS-6; 09-21-2009 at 12:59 PM.

Silver
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    I would probably wait long enough for it to throw that cat code again and I'd be sitting out in front of that dealership again. You need to make some phone calls to people above the dealership level. You're getting taken for a ride.
    It threw the same code the first day I picked it up from the dealership. It still reads the same code. I agree, I'm getting screwed. I have a person at GM helping me out, I will getting a response from them tomorrow. I am about to give the dealership hell for taking my money.

Silver
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by jeffsWS-6 View Post
    Dude the REAR O2 DELETES are only 100 buck for both of them if you buy brand new, i currently have a hypertech programer for sale and i could sell my rear O2 deletes also. let me no if your still intrested call me. 910-581-3357 (jeff)
    I may be giving you a call, Thanks for the info and help.

Thread Information