Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

artic white
    2000 SS LS1

dealership key made..

Hi all

I was wondering about the process of how to get a key made for my camaro. Also, does GM keep a record of it, if one was made in the past? And, is it possible for this to be done secretly, without GM knowing?

Thanks.

Black
    99 SS

the only way to get a key made is to take the title of the car into a dealership to show proof you own the car to have a key made.

artic white
    2000 SS LS1

Does anyone have additional info please? My car was stolen so this is an urgent matter.

Silver & Black
    99 Camaro SS

On the secretly making a key, I know I can make a key.

Many way ways to copy the physical features. (A couple of small vices, some clamps, screws, and a dremel.) A good meter (Fluke, etc.) to measure the resistance accurately and precisely. Then a surface mount resistor. Then a drill and some epoxy, perhaps some ABS plastic, and a heat gun.

artic white
    2000 SS LS1

i've never been brought the car to the dealership so they never had the keys to make a copy but is it possible to get a key from the VIN noumber?

We didn't hear the alarm go off so maybe they just cut the wire to horn or something???

This is very frustrating, i have a wife and 6 month old son and that was our only car.

Black
    99 SS

hell just take your title to GM they will make you a new key. you dont need the car there.

When I had an extra set made I didn't need a title or proof of ownership. I simply brought the key in that I had and they stuck the key in a machine that read the chip number,,,,grabbed a blank with that pass key number and busted one out, that simple.

There are only 10-12 pass key number thingy's and from there they just grind a key.

Yes you can even get this security pass key number through the serial number of the car too,,,which is why covering your vin on your dash is good security practice.

artic white
    2000 SS LS1

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Yes you can even get this security pass key number through the serial number of the car too,,,which is why covering your vin on your dash is good security practice.
    Wow, so your saying if someone got my VIN they could create a keyless entry into my car??? Well thats fukn nice since the VIN is on the all the glass too.

Then after entry i'd imagine it would be started and gone in 30 seconds..

So I've been told by people of questionable experience. I've never tried but I would assume that it's true since you can get a key made with just the vin of the car,,,so where else does the key maker get the vats code from???? Lucky guess???

There are other reasons to keep those vins covered as well such as fraud for instance.

Although some states will tell you it's illegal to cover your vin. When I moved to Arizona I had to have every car inspected, and I caught a rash of shit for having them covered, federal offense blah blah blah. Well thats tuff, my car I paid for it, I'll protect it what ever way I see fit.
    That didn't go over too well with the DMV

artic white
    2000 SS LS1

Anyone work at a dealership? How easy is it for an employee to get a key and keyless entry? is there a process w/ paperwork? any sort of paper trail possible?

Thanks for everyones help so far. I'm going to contact the police later and let them know what i've researched. If I don't get my car back maybe they can at least catch the asshole who stole my car.

If someone had keys made for your car they wouldn't need keyless entry, all they would need to do is unlock it with the door key and get the key in the ignition within a few seconds before the alarm goes off.

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

If you go to the dealer with a vin they wont make a key without the title or registration and id, at least they shouldnt. If someone really wants something they can steal it. How long have you owned the car? Are you the first owner?

Quote Originally Posted by bigrondownhiller View Post
    If you go to the dealer with a vin they wont make a key without the title or registration and id, at least they shouldnt. If someone really wants something they can steal it. How long have you owned the car? Are you the first owner?
    Thats just it,,,,they "shouldn't" but it can be done.

Shucks I just showed up with a key and they copied it without question. For all they knew I could have just stolen it out of someones pocket only to return the stolen copy before it's noticed

Bottom line is keep those vins covered. All kinds of nasty things can happen. Even on the old cars I have had to become very cautious.

For instance nowadays making clones of low production muscle cars has become big business. People are starting to take this to the next level and copy a vin of a "REAL" muscle car and then cloning with that serial number.

Where things get nasty is when that person defrauds on a bank loan and uses the car as collateral. Next thing you know you have collection agencies knocking on your door wanting to take your prize possession away. You have a hard time proving which is which,,,,and it gets real ugly from there.
    This is a very real problem now.

Quote Originally Posted by 2kSSnTX View Post
    Anyone work at a dealership? How easy is it for an employee to get a key and keyless entry? is there a process w/ paperwork? any sort of paper trail possible?

Thanks for everyones help so far. I'm going to contact the police later and let them know what i've researched. If I don't get my car back maybe they can at least catch the asshole who stole my car.
    Wow sorry to hear the car was stolen. If it's been a little while probably the best you could hope for is to catch the criminal, since it's probably a stripped carcass in a matter of hours.

artic white
    2000 SS LS1

2nd maybe 3rd owner and have had the car for almost 5 years. I moved pretty far from where I bought it so i don't think it was stolen from a previous owner or anything like that.

I guess its doubtfull that there would be some sort of paperwork to have the keys made.

Quote Originally Posted by 2kSSnTX View Post
    2nd maybe 3rd owner and have had the car for almost 5 years. I moved pretty far from where I bought it so i don't think it was stolen from a previous owner or anything like that.

I guess its doubtfull that there would be some sort of paperwork to have the keys made.
    Insurance card maybe or registration? Both of which have the serial number of the car on it.
    Which is why I don't keep these items inside any of the cars anymore, just too much personal info on that stuff. Even if the car was simply broken into now the robber knows where you live etc...scary stuff for sure.

I know alot of states require you to keep this info in the car, but I see it as a liability more than helpfull in anyway.

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

I know two people that have had thier cars stolen.....It doesn't require a key to do so.
    Less than 2 minutes & you'll never hear the alarm.....our security features are meant to keep HONEST people out.

Silver & Black
    99 Camaro SS

Insurance card maybe or registration? Both of which have the serial number of the car on it.
    Which is why I don't keep these items inside any of the cars anymore, just too much personal info on that stuff. Even if the car was simply broken into now the robber knows where you live etc...scary stuff for sure.

I know alot of states require you to keep this info in the car, but I see it as a liability more than helpfull in anyway.

I've been thinking about not leaving it in the vehicle for a few years now. But carrying something else to hold it is a pain, and my wallet is too fat already! (Oh, not money fat!)

Quote Originally Posted by BowTied View Post
    I've been thinking about not leaving it in the vehicle for a few years now. But carrying something else to hold it is a pain, and my wallet is too fat already! (Oh, not money fat!)
    I know the feeling

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

A lot of people don't think about it, but the same goes for garage door openers. Especially for homes with attached garages. Really simple to get the code and make of your opener and buy one and use it to get into your house when you're not home

Best to keep them out of view and not on your visor or anywhere it can be seen.

Thread Information