Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    1999 Camaro SS

Dealer says i need a new water pump, am i getting scammed?

Okay i took my car in because it was overheating and pinning the needle on red. all the fluids were fine and the fans were coming on so i figured it was the thermostat. So the service guy calls me back and tells me it is gonna cost 1,100 dollars!!! he says the water pump needs to be replaced ($600) because it is leaking, and two hoses($300??) need to be replaced and the radiator needs to be flushed which will cost 100 and then add in labor for everything. I am a college student and this is the first time i've taken my car to this dealer, i am getting a weird feeling that these guys see me a young guy in this car and just figure my parents will pay so they can rip me off? I mean my car is a 99 camaro ss with only 82k miles on it and i barely drive it. can the water pump already have gone bad?? what if it is just those two hoses leaking and then he throws in the bs about my water pump....

Anyone know the symptoms of a bad water pump? i don't know what to do because either way i have to pay them 82 just for lookin at the car and i will feel stupid if i take it somewhere else and they say the same thing is wrong.

Green Red Black
    71 SS 00 SS 06 Impy SS

Sounds like a rip off to me. Water pump listed at $145 plus shipping from GM Parts Direct. $600 is way to much markup. All I've ever seen a water pump do is leak or make noise from a bad bearing. I guess it could lock up but that would be pretty obvious when the belt starts smoking. Go for a second opinion at an independent shop. And $300 for a couple of hoses? I don't think so.

Black
    1999 Camaro SS

correction

water pump was 322.98 (it was $600 with labor included) and one of the hoses was 168.12 and the other was 27.95. then he added in gaskets and thermostat...

Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

Waterpumps just usually leak. I have never heard of one fail.

My guess is you have air in the system, or your radiator is clogged.

Have you done anything to the car??

Mine just went out. Bought a new one for under $200 and replaced it myself. It was an easy 2 hour job. Just a thought

SOM
    '01 Camaro SS

Yeah, this shouldn't run you more than $500 total including the system flush if you want to replace all of those parts. But, you might need to do a little work yourself. Don't buy parts from that dealer. When it comes to most dealerships, there's almost always a better, cheaper place to buy them. Get a list of the part numbers you need (gaskets, pump, etc.). Then call up the parts department here (http://www.samtaylor.com/en_US/) and ask for Jason. That's the only dealership that I know of that doesn't try to rip you off. The other option would be to check out an Autozone type place.

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

yepp Iv replace a shitton of pumps and the most common is leakin from the weep hole under the pump when the seals inside fail. Did they say why they had too replace it? Make sure there isnt debris on the front of your rad. Chances are its the rad cap or thermostat. Save the cash and do it yourself, its an easy swap with simple hand tools. Need any help or questions someone on here will hook you up
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

Pewter
    2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by z28rktec View Post
    Mine just went out. Bought a new one for under $200 and replaced it myself. It was an easy 2 hour job. Just a thought
    I would suggest doing this if your water pump is shot

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

If you are leaking from the weep hole (pump) you will lose coolant and pressure and it will overheat. And since when is 85,000 ONLY a little mileage? Stuff starts wearing out in every type car around then, this is maybe a little early but it depends. When was the last time the coolant was flushed? Old coolant has a way of ruining water pump seals. If those are original hoses then they need to be replaced also. Not necessarily backing the dealer here but if you can't do it yourself then you got to pay somebody to. If the hoses leak after they replace the water pump then it will overheat again and the customer won't be happy-they are just trying to cover their butt and yours. You have the right to tell them no hoses, flush, thermostat, w/e--it's your car. But they won't promise you everything is covered. Repair shops now -a -days will try to cover all the bases on something like this-it's not a ripoff. But it's your choice what you want them to do.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Buy the pump and some dex coolant from the dealer...then go to a autoparts store like autozone and buy the hoses and a new stat. Prestone makes a flush that you can buy there that'll help in getting all the dex crud out when you flush it...or just use water. Use distilled water and dex on the final fill up.

Don't pay them labor for such a easy job like a water pump and a flush...it's barely even time consuming. This might help...

Ignore all the electrical stuff and start at part 2...
    http://ls1howto.com/index.php?article=26

Installuniversity.com is down right now so I can't post a link but I think they have a coolant flush write-up.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

Agreed that this is an easy water pump-if you have the tools and a little experience. Some people have no tools and no experience, and should pay to have someone fix their car. I have to try (on my own time)to help people who are attempting to fix their own cars all the time-2 of them this week alone. That's not counting how many of these home repairs we see coming in on the hook at the shop.

Pewter
    all bore 370 Trans Am

very easy to do yourself!!! dont get ripped by the dealer. al you need are a few sockets, ratchets, pliers and a bucket or something to catch the coolant. hoses and what not can be bought at autozone, but i doubt they're messed up. check them for leaks. see if they're wet. buy a kit for the radiator flush and see if that helps too. do it yourself.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

By the time you buy the tools and break stuff because you don't know what you are doing and then tow it to a shop and pay somebody else to do it you won't save any money. Just show the instructions-if they feel competent enough to do it they will. I'm serious-I see do it yourself people screw stuff up all the time. Did I tell you about the guy who put RTV on his brake pads and rotors because the guy at the parts store told him it would reduce noise? That's right-on the pad surface that contacts the rotor, not the back!! And then tried hooking the brake hose to the bleeder screw hole. He then drove it to the shop without any brake fluid in the system. When I tried putting fluid in of course I couldn't believe my eyes at it running out on the floor without any restrictions. My co-worker was rolling on the floor laughing-I was stunned that the guy tried driving this. My point being-stuff that comes second nature to some people is a big struggle to others. If you don't feel good about trying something that is beyond your knowledge level and don't have any help-don't.

What would you say is easier with our cars...swapping out water pump or swapping out spark plugs?
    99 T/A M6
    LS6 intake, Hooker Coated Long Tubes, Y-pipe w/1 carsound cat, Hooker Catback, MTi Clear Lid, FRA w/ Holley Power Shot, ASP crank pulley, 1.8 RRs, 3.73s w/TA girdle & Eaton Differential, Granatelli SFCs, Pro 5.0 Shifter, LS6 Clutch, Diablo, TByrnes Maf Ends (in winter), All the Free Mods

the 99's were known for bad water pump gaskets.Your pump is fine.Replace the bad gaskets with the updated gm gaskets.The dealer is cornholin you.168 for a hose??? ask if they are gonna kiss you when they get done fkn you.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

water pump will be easier to replace than spark plugs. ask them to show you exactly where it is leaking from. maybe the gaskets as previously stated.

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Blown Vert View Post
    Waterpumps just usually leak. I have never heard of one fail.

My guess is you have air in the system, or your radiator is clogged.

Have you done anything to the car??
    mine leaked at 65k and i had to get it replaced, and it was over a grand but it is a bitch of a job

Sebring Silver
    98 Z-28 camaro

Dude replace it yourself, it's too damn easy! Only 6 bolts holding it on, the gaskets are metal crush gaskets so you don't have to worry about RTV silicon. I spent maybe $300.00 on everything including two gallons of Dex-cool and it took me around thirty minutes to replace. Just loosen the tension on the belt, pop it off, drain the radiator, loosen the four hoses going into the pump, unscrew the bolts holding it on and it's off. Too easy!! Dealerships will screw you hard on something like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 02z28ls1 View Post
    water pump will be easier to replace than spark plugs. ask them to show you exactly where it is leaking from. maybe the gaskets as previously stated.
    Easier? Good, then I could do it.

CRL 01 SS
    As others have said, it's very easy to replace the water pump on our cars. I replaced mine a few months ago with a brand new GM water pump that I got from a GM parts dealer on EBay for $145 shipped with new AC Delco gaskets. Didn't take long at all to install. Don't let the stealership rip you off!

Thread Information