Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Dealer rounding labor up?

This is a discussion on Dealer rounding labor up? within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by cammed goat The dealership I work for doesn't rip people off. However we HAVE received negative feedback ...

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    The dealership I work for doesn't rip people off. However we HAVE received negative feedback for upselling work the customers NEEDED(fluids, tires, brakes). And it is true, if I do a job that pays 8 hrs and I get the job done in 2.5(which I HAVE done), then I get paid for the 8 hours. Then...on to the next repair.

And...I am flat-rate. Start looking for another dealership OP. If you did, in fact, give negative feedback for that dealership, that shop CAN refuse work. Even if you have your car towed there. They can refuse to work on it.
    I'd never take my car there again, so them refusing to work on it wouldn't be an issue. I'd never ALLOW them to lay a finger on my car. Today during a routine oil change, I noticed that I was missing a few bolts on parts they worked on. In the future, I will do everything myself regardless of how busy I am, because then I know that the job will be done right.

Also, in reply to importhater81, I never agreed to any original quote. They simply said, "its $80 an hour." I didn't sign a thing, or agree to an hour of labor.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Quote Originally Posted by cascade View Post
    I noticed that I was missing a few bolts on parts they worked on. In the future, I will do everything myself regardless of how busy I am, because then I know that the job will be done right.
    This is exactly why I don't take my car anywhere but my own driveway when it needs work.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by cascade View Post
    I'd never take my car there again, so them refusing to work on it wouldn't be an issue. I'd never ALLOW them to lay a finger on my car. Today during a routine oil change, I noticed that I was missing a few bolts on parts they worked on. In the future, I will do everything myself regardless of how busy I am, because then I know that the job will be done right.

Also, in reply to importhater81, I never agreed to any original quote. They simply said, "its $80 an hour." I didn't sign a thing, or agree to an hour of labor.
    You should talk to the service manager about the missing bolts, there is a warranty on parts and labor (up to s certain amount of time). I certainly think thats an indication of poor workmanship. least you could ask them to supply oem replacement bolts (not one out of thier bulk bins). As far as the way that they charged, that is the norm' . Dealers are expected by the manufacturers to use labor times specified in thier repair books (now databases). Every dealer for that manufacturer you go to will use the same labor time for thier billing.

When I worked for Lexus, we had a recall on the starter solenoids for the V-8s (starters are UNDER the manifold). By the technique that Lexus wanted them to go about, labor was based at 8 hours. Our top "tech" (mechanic) took 12 hours to do the first several. By the end of the recall, he had them down to 3 hours. He got 8 hours labor pay when it took him 12 hours AND when it took him 3. Even if the repair takes 45 minutes, it still takes the person about ten minutes to get the car and safely put it on the lift and raise it (if it need to be up), time to look over other parts of the car that are related to the problem of the vehicle to see if there are other problems that can be related to the problem. These things take up time too that are added into the labor time.

What I am getting from you is that you had a price in your head what the repair was worth to you. Thats not usually what the price of labor is actually worth. You should have discussed the price before authorizing work to be done, the writer would have been more than happy to go over it with you. You have to remember, that dealer principal is running a business. The first rule of business is to make a profit. One of the reasons why the labor rate is high is due to the training and time and effort for the guy/gal working on the car and anyone else working to support that work (service writer, helpers, cashiers, etc.). Call five dealers and a few dealership "quality" repair shops (god reputable, clean shops, not shadetrees) and you will be quoted the same labor time.

Liquid Red
    2008 Pontiac G8 GT

Im with these guys. Why write a bad review for them? Every shop does it the same way. Your job was just given to a fast tech. You agreed on a price and the tech finished your car quickly so you can move on with your day.

BTW, the dealership that I work for has a $110/hr shop rate.

White w/black leather
    1995 Ford Cobra #259

They told you $80.00 an hour...THAT was your quote! You must have said yes, or they would not have gone ahead with your repair. Our dealership gets $99.00 an hour.
    Bottom line you paid for an hour of labor. Tech got done it done sooner. If the job would taken him 2 hours you only have to PAY FOR 1 HOUR.
    You called the cops??? Crazy dude, I bet the cops were laughing at you.

competition yellow
    1999 camaro m6

i work at a ford dealer and im flat rate and what you paid sounds about right and replacing a hose might not take an hour but u have to take in account burping the air and making sure it dont over heat wich takes time that is accouted for in that flat rate hour. flat rate can be bennificial to either the tech or customer depending on the job and condition of car think about replacing somithing on a car that takes an hour and getting a car thats a rust bucket and bolts are frozen and break do you want to pay extra time for the tech to get out the torch or retap ur threads think about that before you bitch next time and be happy its done at a decent time and didnt let it sit for half the day

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information