Black
    02 TA Firehawk

Dead hawk, no spark.

Driving the hawk the other day, I come to a stop sign, begin a left turn and the hawk dies. No indication of a problem, was running great. I let it sit for about 10 minutes and try to start it. It fires up and idles for maybe 10 seconds and dies again.....for good. I tow it home, charge the battery. The car cranks over just fine, you can hear fuel pump normally when you turn key to start. I checked all fuses in the fuse boxes, OK. I decide to pull a plug and check for spark, I have no spark. Tried jumping the battery for the heck of it. No help. Talked to a guy at work that has a WS6 and he basically had the same problem a few months ago. His problem was a bad ignition relay. For $14.00 I give that a try. Of course, it could not be that easy. No luck. Any ideas? It's a 2002 automatic with 7k miles. No check engine lights or Security issues. Not a key issue either. Thanks.

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

So it will just crank but no fire? Did you pull all of the plugs or just one?
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

Black
    02 TA Firehawk

Just one, the easiest one on the drivers side.

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

Sounds like a fuel issue too me. You said if you start it, will idle for ten seconds but what if you give it some throttle will it still die? Try pullin another plug, Not tryin to insult you but how are you testing for spark?
    J

Black
    02 TA Firehawk

Sorry, I guess I did not explain it very good. The car only fired up/idled the one time after it stalled on the side of the road. It has never started again after that short 10 sec. idle. There is no spark at the plug gap. Grounded plug while trying and even held plug wire in bare hand.

black
    2002 WS6

sounds as if the coil power supply has been interupted. I personally don't know a whole lot about the LS1 ignition system but it would be a logical start. Start at the coils and work backwards, assuming that the coils get a constant 12 with the key on.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

Could be a crank sensor or something. Impossible to diagnose this one over the computer. With that low miles on the car it's unlikely for a part to fail I would think.Check all electrical conections you can find by wiggling them -it's probably something simple to fix once you find it.

Black
    02 TA Firehawk

Just to let you all know, the crank sensor failed. Pretty horse$#&^ for a car with 6250 miles on it. A letter will be sent to my regional Pontiac office.

Black
    02 TA Firehawk

You were right 02z28ls1. The local dealer got the car. I was tired of looking at the car in the garage...dead. We are good to go again. Way to many electronics in our cars these days.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Glad to hear you got it up and running again. I actually thought crank sensor but wasn't anywhere near confindent in my "guess" so I didn't post it because it could've possibly made you waste money. Either way at least you got it running. I wouldn't sweat the sensor too much. Shit happens and although your car only has 6200 miles on it you have to remember it's 4 years old and shit will happen. Do what you gotta do but I probably wouldn't sweat it and be thankful it's up and running.

Thread Information