Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

White
    2002 Z28

Unhappy Damn Water Pump Advice!!!

Got my car checked out today for the leak of coolant I discovered yesterday.

I was told it is a water pump leak and that it will cost 500!!!

Is this normal to happen to an LS1 with under 29,000?

Obviously my warranty expired so the dealer wont care.

Any advice??????

99 Firebird Formula

It's not exactly common but that doesn't mean it can't happen.

It sounds expensive but after you figure in the cost of parts, labor, and supplies, it's probably right. If you have any mechanical experience you could replace it yourself, its not a bad job.

minesfaster
    Around here a a water pump is 130-180 $ and just insatll it yourself. You will save over 300$ for mods i am loosing coolant myself,but i am going to hook a pressure tester up to my radiator cap to see if i can see where it is leaking from then fix it myself.
    nic

White
    2002 Z28

is that stop leak stuff ok to use or is it junk? They say its a small leak right now.......

minesfaster
    doesnt work. Actualy i hear can cause some damage.

White
    2002 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by minesfaster
    Around here a a water pump is 130-180 $ and just insatll it yourself. You will save over 300$ for mods i am loosing coolant myself,but i am going to hook a pressure tester up to my radiator cap to see if i can see where it is leaking from then fix it myself.
    nic
    How does one attempt to do this by themselves. Is there a simple how-to??

Id attempt it if it wasnt too crazy i guess. Especially if were talking 180 vs. 500 dollars!

??

99PontTA
    the pump is fine....the gaskets are known to leak ....SO only have the gaskets changed..prolly under 75 dollars unless they are RIPPING you off like most dealers!Ask me how i know this...@ 29k miles my car did the same thing...gaskets were leaking...cost less than 100 to fix.
    Last edited by 99PontTA; 01-14-2006 at 03:42 PM.

White
    2002 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 99PontTA
    the pump is fine....the gaskets are known to leak ....SO only have the gaskets changed..prolly under 75 dollars unless they are RIPPING you off like most dealers!Ask me how i know this...@ 29k miles my car did the same thing...gaskets were leaking...cost less than 100 to fix.
    WOW!! So I could just first try to have them just change the gaskets and see what that does?

The leak is so minimal, I am willing to experiment.

99PontTA
    its not an experiment...its a KNOWN problem with these cars..of course your nice friendly gm dealer is gonna rock you.................tell um you aint dumb...CHANGE THE GASKETS or PROVE THE PUMP IS BAD.

Red
    2000 SS

It's not a hard job to do, just be extremely careful not to overtighten the bolts.

Can't see it costing $500, but if you have to replace gaskets anyway, go ahead and replace the pump.

99 Firebird Formula

Quote Originally Posted by TommySS
    Can't see it costing $500, but if you have to replace gaskets anyway, go ahead and replace the pump.
    You have to think like a dealer. They probably charge $200 or so for a new pump & gaskets, another $25 for coolant, 3-4 hours labor, it quickly adds up to $500.

White
    2002 Z28

OK, so how would I know if it is just the gaskets vs. the pump??

How do I know exactly where it is leaking from other than changing the gaskets and then checking to see if it is still leaking.

I still dont get why my coolant is still full even if the leak is so small, I expected some to go down.

seabring silver
    2002 Camaro

Ask to talk to the service manager and see if you can convince his to do the work under policy sence your miles are still low. It helps if you have purchased a car or two from that dealer.

White
    2002 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by GEARHEADNATE
    Ask to talk to the service manager and see if you can convince his to do the work under policy sence your miles are still low. It helps if you have purchased a car or two from that dealer.
    What does policy mean, since Im under 30,000 miles? Do you think the dealer would actually help. I guess I could try.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

This link shows you how to take the pump off...the install is the opposite. It's really easy...just take your time and do it right.http://ls1howto.com/index.php?article=26 Ignore all the electrical instruction...it's for a electric pump.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Quote Originally Posted by TommySS
    It's not a hard job to do, just be extremely careful not to overtighten the bolts.

99 Firebird Formula

Quote Originally Posted by zul8r2002
    What does policy mean, since Im under 30,000 miles? Do you think the dealer would actually help. I guess I could try.
    He just means to ask if the dealership will 'goodwill' it. A lot of times if things fail right after the car is out of warranty, they will still cover it. Doesn't hurt to ask.

White
    2002 Z28

Thank-you evryone for the great advice.

I will first try the dealer, then if that fails I will try it myself, and if that fails, then I will have some garage help.

Collectors Edition Yellow
    2002 Pontiac Trans AM WS6

good luck man hope everything turns out ok!

Red
    2000 SS

Quote Originally Posted by keliente
    You have to think like a dealer. They probably charge $200 or so for a new pump & gaskets, another $25 for coolant, 3-4 hours labor, it quickly adds up to $500.
    True dat.

On the plus side, it should be guaranteed for life parts/labor (for as long as you own the car).

I bought a NAPA water pump (guaranteed for as long as I own the car). It cost $50 (in 1986 for a SBC engine). Over the course of 20 years and nearly 400k miles on the original engine, I've gotten 4 brand new water pumps.

As I understand it (at least it was the target w/the LT-1), the pumps are supposed to be engineered to 100k miles

Thread Information