Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Cylinder 3 Misfire after spark plug change.

This is a discussion on Cylinder 3 Misfire after spark plug change. within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; good news, after the tape, and an ECU reset, I seem to have my power back, although at idle it ...

Pewter
    2001 Camaro Z28, Bolt-Ons

good news, after the tape, and an ECU reset, I seem to have my power back, although at idle it still misses. I also did check MAF; cleaned it, but it made no change. The tap-tap noise is all but gone. I'm going to try more tape. If it is, in fact the plug hole causing this issue, I'm going to solve the problem by buying a set of Patriot heads.

Pewter

I'm driving it as we speak (posting from my iPhone), yes I replaced all plugs with old ones in the same order they came out. There was no change.

Silver & Black
    99 Camaro SS

It would be weird and crazy coincidence but I'd swap injectors around. At this point I'd want to eliminate it...and the injectors are pretty easy.

Pewter

I have a strong feeling that i've cross threaded the hole, and the spark plug isn't seating all the way down, causing the misfire. The teflon tape proved the lack of seal, and helped resolve some of the loss of compression, and since its firing at WOT, it would be safe to assume, its not a fuel delivery problem. (or would it?) Can i re-thread the hole? If so, what will i need? It's only about 125-150psi in the chamber, so i think the teflon will hold until i can adequately resolve the issue.. right?
    Last edited by first01SS; 01-21-2009 at 08:18 AM.

Silver & Black
    99 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by first01SS View Post
    I have a strong feeling that i've cross threaded the hole, and the spark plug isn't seating all the way down, causing the misfire. The teflon tape proved the lack of seal, and helped resolve some of the loss of compression, and since its firing at WOT, it would be safe to assume, its not a fuel delivery problem. (or would it?) Can i re-thread the hole? If so, what will i need? It's only about 125-150psi in the chamber, so i think the teflon will hold until i can adequately resolve the issue.. right?
    I still wonder if there is still a remnant miss. Crap, never mind, you'd have the miss from shallow plug penetration in the cylinder.

Teflon, it depends, mostly dealt with in the past in wiring. (There are grades and I have had tp spec it for UL approval in high heat areas) But I've put 500 degrees on in telfon insulation and not touched it. Try to get "high temp" or try to find one you can Google a data sheet for that brand.

I wouldn't play around long at all, right to a machinist, it is worth doing right to get the threads repaired (start with removing gall.)

Pewter

I'm using high temp tape (-47F to +850F). I just need to isolate the issue to make absolutely sure that this is it. Again, if it decide to dissemble the engine, i'm going to just replace the heads with stage III heads from patriot, and use my stock cam, and valve train, until i make a decision on the cam, and do the supporting mods to the drivetrain/valvetrain.

Silver & Black
    99 Camaro SS

I always try to think of a way to save what I have if I got the whole swap (head here) as a back up. The problem is not getting anything into the cylinder that you can't get out.

I'd try to clean the threads with an old plug (modified by a dremel, cutting grooves on the traverse like a tap...but also thinning the threads at the start of the groove due to Aluminum, giving more of a spreading effect over cutting). But I wouldn't until I worked a piece of brake line back to some intermediate hoses and then to a shop vac hose. I've used duct tape and many things to do this...you can make on hell of "micro-vacuum" (don't run the shop vac more than 20 seconds at a shot...it will overheat).

And then that plug would get some loctite.

Pewter

loctite sounds like "i ain't ever coming out."

Silver & Black
    99 Camaro SS

You can get it out. Takes more muscle!

Just on 2 or 3threads.

Pewter

We're going to have the hole re-tapped and put a Heli-Coil in it. Hopefully, that will solve the problem. It will be several days, however before i get to it. So, I'm going to have to deal with what i've got; the Teflon temporary repair.

Smiles for 9.5 Years cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Good to hear the problem has been located.

Silver & Black
    99 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by first01SS View Post
    We're going to have the hole re-tapped and put a Heli-Coil in it. Hopefully, that will solve the problem. It will be several days, however before i get to it. So, I'm going to have to deal with what i've got; the Teflon temporary repair.
    It should be ok if done right. From then forward don't waste removal and installs of that plug. (Never select that one to check for plug wear or lean/rich running etc.) I'd apply a bit of WD-40 to it for de-installs.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread Information