Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Cylinder 3 Misfire after spark plug change.

This is a discussion on Cylinder 3 Misfire after spark plug change. within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; then why only 1 cylinder? shouldn't the whole bank be going?...

Pewter
    2001 Camaro Z28, Bolt-Ons

then why only 1 cylinder? shouldn't the whole bank be going?

Smiles for 9.5 Years cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Quote Originally Posted by first01SS View Post
    then why only 1 cylinder? shouldn't the whole bank be going?
    Back when I was on a GTO forum, there were MANY threads similar to this. When my MAF was dirty, but got no check eng. codes, I went into the search function. MAN, there were some crazy-ass threads. Being there are 4 O2 sensors on the LsX cars, and these engines are so technologically advanced, the littleist thing could set these engines haywire. And, unfortunately, dealerships know this.

Pewter

If i unplug the MAF, it should rely on the MAP for air volume, correct? Why cant i just do that, and see if theres a change?

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

If i unplug the MAF, it should rely on the MAP for air volume, correct? Why cant i just do that, and see if theres a change?
    Give it a whirl. But, if the MAF hasn't been cleaned in 40k, then I would clean that too. Do you have a K&N filter with the lid?

Pewter

no K&N filter; i experience the same problem with the filter on or off. Also, as a note bank 1 Pre-Cat O2 reads very low voltage (0.160v )while driving/idling/engine off. bank 2 reads an avg of 0.850v. They are both stock narrowband O2 sensors.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Quote:Also, as a note bank 1 Pre-Cat O2 reads very low voltage (0.160v )while driving/idling/engine off. bank 2 reads an avg of 0.850v. They are both stock narrowband O2 sensors.

I think that's your culprit. Do you get an SES light?

Pewter

No SES light in regards to O2.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

No SES light in regards to O2.
    I think that is the problem. These cars act up to the littleist things. Since our cars have 4 02s, there is a lot of possibilities. Have any spare O2s lying around? Time to start swappin and troubleshootin some more.

Pewter

I do not have a spare compatible O2 sensor to test that theory with. And again, it brings me back to my logical issue: if the O2 sensor was out of tolerance, wouldn't it affect the entire bank? not just 1 cylinder?

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

I don't think so. Not when there are others to possibly compensate for the one weak sensor. Anything is possible.

Pewter

i want to beat myself with a wooden stick. i hate weird problems! I appreciate everyone's chime in on this issue; but correct me if i'm wrong; but the two O2 sensors before the cat are for fuel management, the two after the cat are for emissions compliance. So, its reasonable to believe that in reality, we're only dealing with O2 Sensors, section 1 (before cat) Bank 1 and Bank 2; one being the driver side, and two being passenger side. Bank 1 is reading low voltage, indicating a lean condition (not out of tolerance somehow not to set off an SES code, but lean, nevertheless.) Bank 2, reading about 850 mv. At a stoichiometric air/fuel ratio (14.7:1), the generated O2 sensor voltage is about 830 to 930 mV on an LS1. Typically, the ECM recognizes a rich condition above the 930 mV level and a lean condition far bellow it. Therefore, these sensors do not care about the air/fuel ratio above or bellow stoichiometry or 14.7-parts-of-air to 1-part-of-fuel. It is for this reason that the O2 sensor is called a “narrow-band” O2 sensor. With this in mind, the stock LS1 tune runs rich, to compensate for bad fuel, etc; even the high octane tune is relatively rich, therefore preventing detonation in all fuel environments. My theory is, assuming that the O2 sensor is okay on that side, that it is safe to assume that fresh air is being passed into the exhaust, causing it to have an intermittent lean condition. Since its intermittent, and I'm not a timing lamp, i can only assume that the spikes in low voltage are the exhaust stroke on cylinder 3, as a result of not firing, passing the oxygen into the exhaust. With this, I'm more inclined to believe the fuel injector theory above the O2. I feel that if it were the O2, it would be a consistent >=160 mV, indicating a failed O2. That would also explain why there is no SES code for a failed, out of tolerance O2 was found in the ECM. With all that said; here's the part where i don't want to be a lazy douche bag, but I'm an electronics person, trying to be a car mechanic. I'm not sure i can successfully remove my fuel rails, and then swap FI without someone holding my hand. And since i don't really know any friends who love these cars like i do, I'm afraid of jacking everything up by unessecarially taking things apart. That, i want to avoid. I feel like I'm preforming surgery on my new born baby

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Welcome to modern technology. Where one sensor performs various functions. And leaves us all stumped when things go wrong. Like posted before, the simpleist thing could set these motors off. I'm going on a year of owning my Goat. And, I decided to cut my knuckes on my LsX because I did not want to kneel to the dealership despite having a warranty. I am sure this problem is a small fix, but, if you plan on doing repairs yourself, you have to take may steps to troubleshoot. Ya gotta have patience. I don't think it is an internal problem. Something is shorted. I am thinking either at the coil or an O2. 40k is too soon for there to be major damage.

EDIT: Has that car ever had a FI cleaning?
    Last edited by cammed goat; 01-20-2009 at 01:32 PM.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

I have used Techron in my past cars. At my job, we use Gumout but we spray the stuff directly into the TB.

Pewter

No FI cleaning yet. I checked all the wiring for shorts, and painstakingly rung each wire out at the ECM harness, and again at the coil harness. I also checked each wire for resistance to ground (checked to ensure each signal wire did not get shorted to ground). There were no faults in the wiring. As an added note, there is a slight sucking noise when i am outside of the car coming from/near cylinder 3, when i manually press the throttle valve open to simulate quick acceleration. The sucking noise sounds like the noise your mouth would make if you puckered up, and inhaled. Its brief, and consistent, and is very apparent at quick acceleration. This sound does not happen on the other side of the engine. (Bank 2) After that, there is a tap-tap-tap noise in that cylinder. Its not loud at all, but it is audible from inside the car while driving if you have the radio off, and are quiet.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

That sounds like an exhaust leak. WTF?!

Pewter

Okay; now, with that in mind; i changed the gaskets on the AIR. They are new; i cleaned each surface to a like-new finish.

Pewter

I smell a trip to the dealership.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Could be a manifold gasket or flange gasket leak. The hissing/tapping sound tells me it is an exhaust leak. Hopefully the manifold itself isn't cracked.

Pewter

what would crack it?

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

A flaw in the casting. Our shop truck has that problem. Hissing, tapping, and when warmed up, lopes then shuts off. Found out the manifold is cracked. But it's a Dodge Ram. If yours isn't cracked, then I would think the gasket went caput. Did you buy your Camaro new?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information