Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Cruising RPMs

This is a discussion on Cruising RPMs within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I am familiar with the 5.3, sort of. In my day they were a 327cid small block. Fast to be ...

Blue
    05 Camaro

I am familiar with the 5.3, sort of. In my day they were a 327cid small block. Fast to be sure. In fact, due to the shorter stroke they were preferred over a 350. They would turn a much higher rpm on the track. In fact, there were many 375 hp 327s available in vettes. However, one thing we wheelers go for is bottom end torque. You get this from longer strokes on the piston and can be enhanced with valve timing. For the bottom end, I think the 5.7 would be a little better. I do also have a use for the horsepower. Let me introduce you to sand. Most people think about the stuff to lay around on and get a tan. But oh so much more fun. If you put a set of paddle tires on the back, you can actually accelerate faster than on pavement. Pavement requires rubber to asphalt friction and has limits. Paddle tires just move sand in the opposite direction and transfer the inertia to the vehicle. The physics is like that of a rocket engine. And the fun part is that you can do all that stuff you want to do on pavement legally I don't have it anymore, but I used to have a pic of my wife and kids strapped in the back, front end about six inches off the sand with a thirty foot high rooster tail out the back. Fun stuff.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

My time in sand was mostly in Ft Irwin and overseas. Different kind of fun....

Torque is what you want then diesel is best... 5.3's have a decent amount of torque. There's a Turbo 5.3 Trans Am in my area that is putting out over 1000+hp on stock bottom end.

Blue
    05 Camaro

I hear ya on the diesel. I had a Cat 3208 in a pickup. Loved it. But not for off road. Gas has a much wider rpm band, something I find I prefer since changing speed is constant. Glad you made it back OK. I should also mention that I live in CA, which makes mods much harder. I haven't got that far into my research yet, but I think it is a safe bet that 5.3 is a no go here if you want to license it. One other issue I should mention is that another reason I am junking this engine is that GM no longer cares much about it. I just cannot buy any injectors anymore, including AC Delco that aren't Chinese crap, and I mean crap. I have been stranded with family for the third time on new injectors. Not doing that anymore. GM seems much more willing to stand behind anything that goes into a vette, their flag ship
    Last edited by 362cuinxh; 09-07-2017 at 08:31 PM.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

Yeah Commie Cali is always a killjoy. I'll never live there. To be honest I wonder why the automotive aftermarket even bothers staying in Cali.

Blue
    05 Camaro

Once you get CARB approval, much more money for the parts. Believe me, they benefit

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    Then I suggest a 5.3 for your build. They have plenty of power and torque for what your looking to do. Most are aluminum but there are a few iron blocks out there.
    I think you have that backwards. There are far more iron 5.3 engine blocks then aluminum blocks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -------------------------------------
    Kooks 1 7/8" race headers, Kooks ORY, Borla catback, Nitto 555R, LS6 intake manifold, Shaner S3 ported stock throttle body, SLP lid, smooth bellows, JAAM Ram Air kit, Elite Engineering catch can, LS6 valley cover, EGR and AIR deleted, Frost tune, and Simpson Racing child car seat in the back. 13.2 @ 108MPH

Blue
    05 Camaro

That was my understanding also, but I am the noob

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by 362cuinxh View Post
    I hear ya on the diesel. I had a Cat 3208 in a pickup. Loved it. But not for off road. Gas has a much wider rpm band, something I find I prefer since changing speed is constant. Glad you made it back OK. I should also mention that I live in CA, which makes mods much harder. I haven't got that far into my research yet, but I think it is a safe bet that 5.3 is a no go here if you want to license it. One other issue I should mention is that another reason I am junking this engine is that GM no longer cares much about it. I just cannot buy any injectors anymore, including AC Delco that aren't Chinese crap, and I mean crap. I have been stranded with family for the third time on new injectors. Not doing that anymore. GM seems much more willing to stand behind anything that goes into a vette, their flag ship
    Ask all of the Tuned Port (Corvette and F bodies) how they feel about GM's (and aftermarket) support. Can't get anything for them anymore.

If it's more than 7 years old, GM isn't that great at supporting it anymore.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    I think you have that backwards. There are far more iron 5.3 engine blocks then aluminum blocks.

Maybe he had it upside down? More aluminum heads than iron?
    SLP Air Lid/Smooth Bellows
    Kooks Emissions LT Headers/Catted Y pipe
    NGK TR55 plugs
    Magnaflow Cat-back
    Spohn Front Upper Tubular Control Arms
    UMI Front Lower Tubular Control Arms
    UMI Rear Lower Control Arms/ Adjustable Panhard Rod
    Factory C5 Z06 17x9.5 wheels w/ 285-40-17 Continental Extreme Contact DW's all the way around.
    Dyno Dynamics dynoed @:
    356 rwhp, 360 rwlb/tq

Blue
    05 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Whamhammer View Post
    Ask all of the Tuned Port (Corvette and F bodies) how they feel about GM's (and aftermarket) support. Can't get anything for them anymore.

If it's more than 7 years old, GM isn't that great at supporting it anymore.
    That really sucks. How about injectors and stuff like that? Where I am now I cannot get a set of injectors to work more than 5K miles

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

That really sucks. How about injectors and stuff like that? Where I am now I cannot get a set of injectors to work more than 5K miles
    I don't think there is any widespread injector issue floating around with 5.3s or any of the LS engines. Is there something particular with your vehicle that's killing injectors?

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Quote Originally Posted by Whamhammer View Post
    Maybe he had it upside down? More aluminum heads than iron?
    Ah, could be. That is true.

Blue
    05 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    I don't think there is any widespread injector issue floating around with 5.3s or any of the LS engines. Is there something particular with your vehicle that's killing injectors?

It is really a single injector with six nozzles. It pulses 3 times per revolution. The same design was in the V8 about 93 - 95. When it works, it works good. But lately it is all Chinese crap and I have had permanent starting issues out of the box and short life. When it quits, it quits and it is time for the trailer.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

No 5.3 injector issues that I am aware of either. Are they burning out or plugging up?

Blue
    05 Camaro

Burning out. Just time to ditch this design. Besides, more power will suit my needs in the future. Lots of tall steep mountains around here. I plan on pulling a trailer and possibly this vehicle that weighs in at a little less than 2K
    Attached Images Attached Images
    SMWS6TA likes this.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Neat looking ride.

Blue
    05 Camaro

Thanks Collectors item. Only 3K ever made. That one is my son's, but I have one like it minus the top

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

It is really a single injector with six nozzles. It pulses 3 times per revolution. The same design was in the V8 about 93 - 95. When it works, it works good. But lately it is all Chinese crap and I have had permanent starting issues out of the box and short life. When it quits, it quits and it is time for the trailer.
    Gotcha. I got lost in the conversation and didn't realize you were referring to your 4.3 spider injector. I had one of those years ago and had the joy of replacing one in mine. The parts back then were decent.

Blue
    05 Camaro

It is not only the injectors, it is impossible to get a decent TPS too. The only ones I can get that work come from the pick and pull. The new ones will make the engine stall if you touch the throttle. Enough is enough

Blue
    05 Camaro

One more question from you guys that know, any sensor issues with the LS series?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information