SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Cruise Control Issues??

Ok guys, I got a weird problem with my cruise control on my 98 T/A M6.

When I first get on the highway, I can set the cruise (push the botton on the end of the stalk) for, say, 70MPH, and it will work fine. But then I'll be cruising along, and maybe a minute or two later, it will just shut itself off.

So I accelerate back to my desired speed, and hit the button to set the cruise control again. This time, it might stay on for half as long as the first time, if that.

Third time I re-accelerate and set the cruise, it might stay on for a few seconds, and then shut off immediately.

After that, I usually can't even get it to work at all. I'll push the button, but it just won't set the cruise, period.

And this is all on my 40 minute commute to school.

Anyone have any idea what could be wrong?? I'm thinking maybe its something in the stalk itself, or the TB linkage or something, I can't figure it out though. Any help is appreciated....

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I'm not sure if these work the same as older cars as I've never even looked at my cruise but assuming they do there should be a vacuum canister that actuates the cruise cable. I just went out and chased the cable until I couldn't see it anymore and it disappears under the fuse boxes on the driver side so I would look under there for the canister. It sounds like a vacuum problem to me. There's also a cruise control module mounted to the frame rail under there too so I would check the connections to that also but it sounds like you have vacuum bleeding off of the canister. Wish I could be more help but I've never had to look at my cruise yet. Maybe once you get it figured out you can post back the fix for when I do have to work on it.

Since you have a M6 check the adjustment on the threaded switch/sensor on the clutch pedal bracket. You can also sometimes check it by going for a ride and lifting the clutch pedal out with your foot.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

First of all Wesman, do you have TCS? With it and without are 2 totally different systems.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 9t8z28 View Post
    First of all Wesman, do you have TCS? With it and without are 2 totally different systems.
    Good call.

I DO NOT have TCS, the place where the switch should be is an empty slot. My car didn't have the traction control option from the factory.

Thanks for the input so far guys, I'll look into the vacuum canister and the control module...

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 2001NBMZ28 View Post
    Since you have a M6 check the adjustment on the threaded switch/sensor on the clutch pedal bracket. You can also sometimes check it by going for a ride and lifting the clutch pedal out with your foot.
    Thanks for the suggestion, I'll check that too. I'll try holding the clutch up with my foot and see of the cruise stays on.

You say the clutch switch is adjustable?? I'll try threading it out further if I can.

I also notice that 90% of the time, the cruise will kick off when I hit a big bump...so this suggestion sounds like it could be right on, I'll check it out tomarrow.

Thread Information