jewelbird

Question Cricket Sound... Help Please...

Hey guys, I need a little help. Whenever I turn my car on, it sounds louder then normal. Then when I go to accelerate, I hear a chirping sound or a sound that sounds just like a cricket. Then it dies down again. It is really only when I am accelerating. Could it be spark plugs or a loose belt... ?

BTW - I did check my belts and they looked fine... Any suggestions?

Navy Blue Metallic
    '99 T/A WS6 M6

Are you sure it is not your brakes sticking or in need of new pads.??? just a suggestion.OR does it do this when standing still.??
    99 WS6 M6 NBM !Cags,!Cats,Vinci/Crane,Hurst,Detroit TruTrac,3:73,31 Splne,Edel.Race LT's,ORY,QTEC,Flow,ARP,Percy,MSD,SLP,AC/DELCO,Bosch,GMPP,Cntrfrce DF,Htchkiss,Susp.Tech,Lakewood,285's,Bilstein,Pro-kit,SLP,RK Sprt,A/Meter,Red Optima,Magnaflow S/S Tips,Hd Pins,Tint,Fire.Ex,[*4 Hot Rod Power Tours*]

jewelbird

Question

Quote Originally Posted by NHRAMAN View Post
    Are you sure it is not your brakes sticking or in need of new pads.??? just a suggestion.OR does it do this when standing still.??
    It makes a louder noise when normal when it is idle. Not a noticeable one, just one that the driver would recongize. It is almost like the engine is having to work harder.

I had my brake pads replaced last summer and made sure they put the anti squeaking spray on there (forgot name of the spray). So, I am not sure that it is my brakes... i can say that it is coming from the engine...

Navy Blue Metallic
    '99 T/A WS6 M6

serpentine belt/tensioner squeek maybe...if you have some spray silicon you can give the tensioner a squirt..i have a few times..mine squeeks sometimes in the damp..as well as other peoples do also...

jewelbird
    I am wondering if I need to change it? I am at about 63K miles right now... If it is the serpentine belt/tensioner squeek, do you thinkn that I will be okay to drive on it a little longer? When I looked at it, it did not look like it was cracking or getting old. I also looked for the black dust on the metal that worn belts normally leave and did not see any...

NHRAMAN, thank you for all of your help this evening..!

black, 05 Roush
    black, 99 T/A WS.6

mine squeeks when its damp out too. Seems to be common, I am sure you will be fine to drive it longer. But everyones case is different.

Navy Blue Metallic
    '99 T/A WS6 M6

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by jewelbird View Post
    I am wondering if I need to change it? I am at about 63K miles right now... If it is the serpentine belt/tensioner squeek, do you thinkn that I will be okay to drive on it a little longer? When I looked at it, it did not look like it was cracking or getting old. I also looked for the black dust on the metal that worn belts normally leave and did not see any...

NHRAMAN, thank you for all of your help this evening..!
    I changed both of my belts at 50-55 thousand miles approx...belts do wear and dry out.

jewelbird
    So then I prob need to go ahead and change them?

Thread Information