Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Crazy Oil Consumption?

So my low oil light came on today on the way to work. I get to work, pop the hood, and pull the stick. Shows way low oil, below the add oil lines, and steam coming out of the dipstick tube. I just changed the oil about 2000 miles ago. Is this just the same consumption problem? Its not making any noises from the bottom end, and I still have normal oil pressure. I read that the light only comes on at 2 qt's low.

Its at work right now, safe to drive it 15 miles home? Or get some oil and put it in

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Of course you fill the oil.....and no...burning 2 quarts in 2000 miles isnt normal....fill it and start looking....is your car smoking? Is there a puddle under it in the morning?

Thats the thing. It doesnt smoke and its never had a puddle under it.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Its going somewhere! What does the oil look like? Check your filter...you may not have a good seal that would cause leakage at higher oil pressure......

The oil is dark, but normal for any oil Ive ever seen. Ill check the filter and make sure its tight. I run my car hard, and Ive read that the LS1 likes to eat oil, but this is crazy. No abnormal noises and it runs fine. Could an old pcv valve cause any of this?

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 Formula

You may want to check at your rear main. Mine has a slight leak there. THat and wait till your exhaust is cold and rub your finger on the inside of the exhaust pipe. If its burning oil sometimes you can feel oil residue in the exhaust.

Went and picked up 2 quarts of Mobil One. Will put one in a short time before I leave from work to home. Hopefully one will put me in the hatch region. Then we get to diagnose

Put 1.5 quarts in it today before I left work, looking at the dipstick on level ground at home, Im right at the top of the operating range hatch, so I think its only eaten about 1 quart of oil. No low oil light, seems to be happy. I ordered the new PCV that they are using with the fixed orafice so hopefully that will cut back on consumption a little, and Ill just have to keep my eye on it. Thanks for the help Sarge and others.

Impounded

Red
    99 TA

really thats normal for some ls1 engines believe it or not.you don't don't see it smoke out the exhaust because the cats burn the oil up completely.Mine has used 1 qt every 1000 miles since new and i have over 100k miles on it now.GM sure knows how to pass off crappy engines builds as normal.So lets see i;ve used 100 qts of oil PLUS all the oil changes every 5k.Maybe i;m too blame for high oil prices????????????

2005 GTO M6 Black
    2000 Z28 A4 Red

Ouch that seems excessive.Mine used to burn a qt a month (2500 miles usually) but 2 qts is a bit high I would think
    My Toy 00 Z28 1SC A4 - MS3 cam with supporting valvetrain, Milled LS6 heads, LS7 lifters, , ARP rod and mains, All free mods, pacesetters, True duals, moser 9 with 4.11's and Detroit Locker, Vig 3600 tuned, tubular SFC,adj PHR, LCA, adj TA, PHR reloc, LCA reloc. all with poly bushings, ZR1's and Nitto DR's (315).

My other toy 05 GTO LS2 M6- Comp XR269HR cam, 918's, hardened pushrods, Dart Pro 1's, pacesetters, X-pipe, flowmaster 1 chambers, TSP oil pump, Tick master cylinder. Pedders RR bushings, end links, SB bushings, tie rods and strut mounts, total performance poly F&R bushings. Polk DVC 12", Infinity Kappa 6.5 component and 6x9's with corresponding amps.

Her toy 77 F100-6.6/c6. All original (for now)

NBM
    99 TA

Quote Originally Posted by thecorrectformula View Post
    You may want to check at your rear main. Mine has a slight leak there. THat and wait till your exhaust is cold and rub your finger on the inside of the exhaust pipe. If its burning oil sometimes you can feel oil residue in the exhaust.
    This is possible, i had a similar problem. I noticed my oil level was going lower than normal. Every once in a while i would see a few black drips in my garage under the front of the transmission area. Thought it was the rear main seal, so the tranny came out, and it turned out to be the little plug on the end of the crankshaft... it had shifted and was leaking oil into the bellhousing/clutch area.

Might not be what you are after... but i thought i would put in my 0.02

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Quote Originally Posted by Rivi View Post
    really thats normal for some ls1 engines believe it or not.you don't don't see it smoke out the exhaust because the cats burn the oil up completely.Mine has used 1 qt every 1000 miles since new and i have over 100k miles on it now.GM sure knows how to pass off crappy engines builds as normal.So lets see i;ve used 100 qts of oil PLUS all the oil changes every 5k.Maybe i;m too blame for high oil prices????????????
    That seems like alot of oil. How hard did you drive it? I am just curious.

Impounded

Red
    99 TA

Sometimes it used a qt in 500 miles,she drove it like a little old lady.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Thats a damn shame man. And you bought that car new right? Need a damn 2nd job just to buy oil.

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Odds are its the way the rings are seated on the pistons. There is a GM serv bull. on the problem...under warranty they take care of it....if your out of warranty your on your own.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Your on your own dealing with GM service anyways IMO.

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by BREAKxNECKxSPEED View Post
    Your on your own dealing with GM service anyways IMO.
    true LOL!

Impounded

Red
    99 TA

its actually gotten better with more miles.She has 100k on her ta now and it uses about 1qt every 1500-2000 miles now.I noticed if we drive it harder it uses less oil.very odd..........

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Damn man thats fked up!

Impounded

Red
    99 TA

The dealer wanted 1500 dollars to check it out and it was under warranty,gm refused to pay because gm says 1qt in 1000 miles is acceptable.I disussed it with the shop forman,he told me gm was having them replace ONE ring on each piston to fix the trouble.He said it didn't do sheeet.Now my i caught my dealer service dept in alot of lies so who knows what gm really said.My experiance with gm warranty has not been a good one,they suck!

Thread Information