Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Crankshaft pulley wobble. What to do?

This is a discussion on Crankshaft pulley wobble. What to do? within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Like Will said. you should have no wobble period and bolt should be flush against the pulley. Sorry to say ...

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

NEED HELP! crankshaft pulley bolt wont come loose

Like Will said. you should have no wobble period and bolt should be flush against the pulley. Sorry to say but an engine pull is next. No way to properly fix the crank while still in car.
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/f7/my-6-liter-build-174257/

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f8/my-8-8-rear-build-165553/

6.0L Block - Forged 403 built, breaking it in , Polluter Stg3 Cam, FAST 102mm Intake, NW102 TB, MSD wires, NGK TR6 plugs, Truck Coil Packs, LS3 Fuel Injectors, CC Pacesetter LT Headers, TS&P ORY, QTP e-Cutout, Magnaflow Muffler, 104mm Air Lid & Line Lock, Catch Can, Stage 2 T56 w/Viper shaft, PRO 5.0 Shifter, Tick MC, Monster Stg 4 Clutch, QT SFI BH, MWC DSL, UMI: SFC, PHB, LCA's, LCA Relocation Brackets & TA, Hotchkis Springs (1" Drop), YR1 Snowflake Wheels wrapped in NT555 tires & Custom Fab Ford 8.8 rear w/4.10 Yukon Gears, WSQ Hood, 3"CM Strange Eng Drive Shaft.

Horsepower never lies, but is often lied about!

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by RONS98TA View Post
    So old pulley and new pulley both had a wobble? Is it possible to have a crank that wasn't formed correctly from the factory? I have never seen a pulley wobble when properly tightened and torqued down. I think even an 1/8 of an inch is too much, and may cause the serp belt to jump off at sustained high rpm's.
    I don't think he got a new pulley. I think all he bought was a new bolt. OP I would take the pulley off and look at the opening in it where it slides over the crank to see if it is damaged at all, that could possibly cause the wobbling even with a new bolt torqued down.
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

BLACK
    1998 PONTIAC TA

He said he bought a new pulley and bolt. That's why i'm confused. Ive never heard of this kind of issue. I want to suspect that somehow the end of the crank must have gotten hit with a hammer or something. Maybe even during the production process of the crank it slipped through the cracks of quality control and was installed on the engine at the factory. Im guessing they didn't actually start these engines up on a bench before they were put into the car like they do with the LS7 Z06.

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by RONS98TA View Post
    He said he bought a new pulley and bolt. That's why i'm confused. Ive never heard of this kind of issue. I want to suspect that somehow the end of the crank must have gotten hit with a hammer or something. Maybe even during the production process of the crank it slipped through the cracks of quality control and was installed on the engine at the factory. Im guessing they didn't actually start these engines up on a bench before they were put into the car like they do with the LS7 Z06.
    Oh I missed that he got a new pulley. Interesting it really sounds like jacked up crank threads or the bolt wasn't torqued or stretched enough then to me.

BLACK
    1998 PONTIAC TA

I know, weird right. The only thing I can even think of, is the end of the crank itself must be out of round. The fact that he has changed the pulley and bolt but still has this issue, tells me the crank is the problem. But where is a mystery. Also wondering if it has always been this way since it was new and just nobody never noticed it before now. That would have to cause some soft of vibration I would think. If you can visually see it, the motor must be out of balance?

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

Both threads merge due to both related to same topic from OP.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-26-2014, 10:03 PM

Thread Information