Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Couple of Questions for Ya'll

Have a couple of questions for ya'll:

Background - I have had my 98' T/A for just 2 months. Finally got the $$ and time to do some TLC (have no real idea how long the last tune up was done, besides an oil change) So I change my plugs from OEM (I think these are the orginal plugs from the factory, they are ruff looking) to NGK TR5, upgraded to MSD wires, change fuel filter and did the air box mod. Since then my car seems like it woke up from a nap, not that it seem like it was taking one to begin with. What I mean is it was running what I though was good for an 11 yr old car. But now, it is much more responsive.

1) Can the above changes make that much difference?

I have taken pics of the old plugs, will post later if it will help...The outer (front and rear) plugs where dry on the threads, the inner plugs on each side where moist, with what looked like oil; Not alot, just enough I notice the difference. but here is the question -

2) What causes this and is it serious???

Ohhh, and the A'hole engineer that put these plugs in such a tight space should be corn holed.....Damn what a B'tch, makes me dread the thought of putting headers on when I get the $$ for them....

Arctic White
    01 TA / 06 Duc 749D

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    Yes. Not only are you getting a better/stronger spark,(NGK plugs and MSD wires), but you are getting the right amount of fuel press too. That fuel filter probably has never been changed out since your plugs were still stock for a 11 year old car. The free ram air mod helps a little too.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Camaro Z28

By doing a tune up your always going to see and feel the difference. Little things do wonders to these LS motors.

Blue
    99 Camaro Z28

yep sure can make a big diff. change fuel filter every 30k. Its no fun dropping the exhaust to do a fuel pump.

Blue
    99 Camaro Z28

oil change is not part of a tune up. Just maintenance

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post

Ohhh, and the A'hole engineer that put these plugs in such a tight space should be corn holed.....Damn what a B'tch, makes me dread the thought of putting headers on when I get the $$ for them....
    Yes, the changes you mentioned can make a noticeable difference if they were neglected previously like yours was.

Once you get headers on, doing the plugs and wires is significantly easier to do.

Something else you might want to consider doing, is get some MAF cleaner and clean your MAF, it is probably filthy as well and will make your car run much better.
    CCW SP 500s 18x10 275/35 18x11 295/35
    SLP CME with GMMG style catback
    Painted manta stripe

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I'd rather be bi than full homo!!!!

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    Yes, the changes you mentioned can make a noticeable difference if they were neglected previously like yours was.

Once you get headers on, doing the plugs and wires is significantly easier to do.

Something else you might want to consider doing, is get some MAF cleaner and clean your MAF, it is probably filthy as well and will make your car run much better.
    I want to, I saw another member doing it on another thread. Not sure how to. Don't want to screw up MAF and have to get new one. Any tips on how. I know it is dirty whaen I took off the airlid I look at it too.

Also to be fair to the previous owners, they did keep her in good shape, just don't think they change the plugs and wires due to lack of knowledge. I have seen more abused cars. Sometimes I would luv to have the $$$ to start a T/A rescue society....

BTW....Thanks all...

Thread Information