Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    1998 formula trans am

Corvette engine VS T/A engine

Hello all I am new here and I have a 98 formula trans am with 140,000 miles and the motor is knocking so I am just going to replace it with a 12,000 mile 99 corvette engine. My question is has anybody on here done this and is there any difference between the two blocks? Also my head style the valve covers bolt on the outside edge and I havent seen the corvette engine yet but if it has center bolt heads will I have any issues there also? Thanks in advance Shawn

U. S And A Greatest country in all of world

Stock
    2002 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by sjd73ss View Post
    Hello all I am new here and I have a 98 formula trans am with 140,000 miles and the motor is knocking so I am just going to replace it with a 12,000 mile 99 corvette engine. My question is has anybody on here done this and is there any difference between the two blocks? Also my head style the valve covers bolt on the outside edge and I havent seen the corvette engine yet but if it has center bolt heads will I have any issues there also? Thanks in advance Shawn
    Same block, you will need new valve covers if they are center bolt. this would be an easy swap. how much is the motor?

Black
    1998 formula trans am

He did say the valve covers and coils are still on the engine. Its only missing the intake and the price is a steal at 800 bucks!!!!

Stock
    2002 Camaro

He did say the valve covers and coils are still on the engine. Its only missing the intake and the price is a steal at 800 bucks!!!!
    as long as all is good that is a steal!!! i would get an LS6 intake since its off. since it has the valve covers you will be fine.

Black
    1998 formula trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Crash View Post
    as long as all is good that is a steal!!! i would get an LS6 intake since its off. since it has the valve covers you will be fine.
    Awesome, is there any horsepower difference? Would the vette engine be balanced and bigger cam better heads?

Stock
    2002 Camaro

compared to the 98 with 305HP, the 99 corvette was rated at 345hp. not a bad jump

Black
    1998 formula trans am

compared to the 98 with 305HP, the 99 corvette was rated at 345hp. not a bad jump

nice will the LS6 intake fit like the LS1?

Stock
    2002 Camaro

yes and they can be found used for around $300. They add 15HP over the LS1 intake. but the 99 vette might have come with an ls6 intake stock hmmmm i cant remeber

Black
    1998 formula trans am

yes and they can be found used for around $300. They add 15HP over the LS1 intake. but the 99 vette might have come with an ls6 intake stock hmmmm i cant remeber

Ok cool one last question, the vette was wrecked and I have no idea if it was front or rear. If it was front is there any specific weak point on the block where the block might crack in an accident and I should look for? Thanks for all your help and time.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

With the engine out of the car, add a cam,springs,pushrods. Your probably gonna want to get it tuned anyway. Just me, but there is no way I could let a LSx sit on an engine stand (out of car) and not put a cam/spring package in it.

Stock
    2002 Camaro

i would just do a over all inspection. there arent any "weak" points to look for. where are you getting it from? is this person saying it will run?

Stock
    2002 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    With the engine out of the car, add a cam,springs,pushrods. Your probably gonna want to get it tuned anyway. Just me, but there is no way I could let a LSx sit on an engine stand (out of car) and not put a cam/spring package in it.
    Thanks for suggesting that. seems like all im good for these days is suggesting strokers lol

Black
    1998 formula trans am

i would just do a over all inspection. there arent any "weak" points to look for. where are you getting it from? is this person saying it will run?

It was on a local internet classified. It is an older guy who is selling it for his friend who wrecked the car and he guarantees that it runs. Its in a pretty back ass town and i dont think they look at what these engines are going for on ebay.

Black
    1998 formula trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    I know but I just put 400 into the engine thats in the car, i thought I had busted a lifter/bent a pushrod and I tore it down and did find a bent pushrod. I replaced 2 lifters and the pushrod put it all toghether and it sounds like a broken piston skirt or at least a cracked piston around the wristpin? Im not sure but Im going to tear it down after I get it out. I know I should do a cam but I just do not have any extra cash right now. I know exactly how hard it is to change a cam in the car and it kills me not to right now but I have to do what I have to do at this point so i can enjoy the car the rest of the summer. I only owned it 2 weeks and this happened.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

I know but I just put 400 into the engine thats in the car, i thought I had busted a lifter/bent a pushrod and I tore it down and did find a bent pushrod. I replaced 2 lifters and the pushrod put it all toghether and it sounds like a broken piston skirt or at least a cracked piston around the wristpin? Im not sure but Im going to tear it down after I get it out. I know I should do a cam but I just do not have any extra cash right now. I know exactly how hard it is to change a cam in the car and it kills me not to right now but I have to do what I have to do at this point so i can enjoy the car the rest of the summer. I only owned it 2 weeks and this happened.
    Understood. Its not to hard to do a cam swap in car. Just alot less over the car activity Good luck!

Really sorry to hear man.

Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

The engines are identical except for the center bolt heads and oilpan.
    Swap your intake, accessories and oil pan and it should be a direct bolt in.
    Both engines make approx 345-350 HP. Corvettes have a different cam (tighter lobe spread less lift) which doesn't require EGR system but makes no additional HP over the F-body spec cam.

LS6 intakes didn't come out till `01
    Craig
    Semi Retired Street Racer
    2012 Lava Red Mustang GT Coupe Brembo/3.73's
    Build Date 3/17/11, Last Lava Red GT

Gone but not forgoten
    NBM `98 Formula M6 HdTp
    1 of 1 Build Date 3/12/98

red
    2000TA

is the intake missing because it was a front end collision? if the seller is close go see the car ,don't take any money with you. or have them email pictures of the car , and proof it is the car the motor is coming out of. if all is good do a intake and cam upgrade + springs+push rods.

388 rwhp & 370 rwtq
    2001 Camaro SS #847

Thanks for suggesting that. seems like all im good for these days is suggesting strokers lol
    ill second that

Black
    1998 formula trans am

Quote Originally Posted by garygnu65 View Post
    is the intake missing because it was a front end collision? if the seller is close go see the car ,don't take any money with you. or have them email pictures of the car , and proof it is the car the motor is coming out of. if all is good do a intake and cam upgrade + springs+push rods.

Its out of the car already and the intake was sold already along with 6 speed. The car was parted out already and gone. They were going to put the motor into a 68 camaro with a carb on it. The guy sounds straight up.

Stock
    2002 Camaro

Its out of the car already and the intake was sold already along with 6 speed. The car was parted out already and gone. They were going to put the motor into a 68 camaro with a carb on it. The guy sounds straight up.
    just be careful, might be a scam. If not that is an awsome deal

Thread Information