Results 1 to 10 of 10

Coolant Temperature Sensor Problems

This is a discussion on Coolant Temperature Sensor Problems within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Started having an issue a while ago, coolant temp sensor crapped out on me so i replaced it with a ...

  1. #1
    Senior Member tatertot91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Coral Springs, Fl
    Posts
    5,773

    Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

    Coolant Temperature Sensor Problems

    Started having an issue a while ago, coolant temp sensor crapped out on me so i replaced it with a new one. The new one didn't work so i replaced it an OEM one and it worked great up until this weekend. Took the car for a few hundred mile trip and while driving around town the gauge started jumping around down to 0 and back up again. I checked the voltage at the wires heading to the sensor and it reads voltage but i'm pretty sure i need to check if the voltage is within a certain range. Gonna replace the sensor one last time since its cheap.

    Anyone know what else this could be? Its would be the 3rd sensor i've put in and i dont think its the plug or wiring.
    Any input helps
    thanks

  2. #2
    Super Moderator
    pajeff02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mansfield, PA
    Posts
    21,576

    Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

    GM or parts store brand sensors? Have you inspected and/or traced the wire harness to make sure you don't have a bad connection or something? Could be corrosion in the plug at the sensor too.

  3. #3
    Senior Member tatertot91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Coral Springs, Fl
    Posts
    5,773

    Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    GM or parts store brand sensors? Have you inspected and/or traced the wire harness to make sure you don't have a bad connection or something? Could be corrosion in the plug at the sensor too.
    One was oem the other 2 were aftermarket. I still don't see it being the sensor. I'm gonna have to check all the wiring and make sure nothings wrong there. Was over 250 miles from home so I couldn't diagnose the problem 100%. Will have to check everything over later. I think I'm gonna have to look for anew plug and double check everything.

    Liking the new avatar btw

  4. #4
    Super Moderator
    pajeff02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mansfield, PA
    Posts
    21,576

    Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

    Thanks! Let me know if you need a diagnostic procedure or diagram. I have the factory books for our '02 -- probably all the same for your car.

  5. #5
    Senior Member tatertot91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Coral Springs, Fl
    Posts
    5,773

    Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Thanks! Let me know if you need a diagnostic procedure or diagram. I have the factory books for our '02 -- probably all the same for your car.
    Will do. Have to take a better look later this week when i'm not working

    Damn hard to squeeze time for this car nowadays

  6. #6
    Super Moderator
    pajeff02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mansfield, PA
    Posts
    21,576

    Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

    Quote Originally Posted by tatertot91 View Post
    Will do. Have to take a better look later this week when i'm not working

    Damn hard to squeeze time for this car nowadays

    I have until April when our car will go back on the road to complete repairs and upgrades. Must be real nice being able to drive your car year round.

  7. #7
    Senior Member tatertot91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Coral Springs, Fl
    Posts
    5,773

    Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    I have until April when our car will go back on the road to complete repairs and upgrades. Must be real nice being able to drive your car year round.
    Oh yeah, i couldn't imagine putting her away for months at a time. Guess it's something you gotta get used to up there.

  8. #8
    Veteran Blackbird WS6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    van down by the river
    Posts
    1,937
    im having problems with my rad level sensor, it leaking....had an idea to put some silicone around it BUT may start a whole new problem if i ever have to replace it

    keep us updated on your problem and what the fix was tater

  9. #9
    Senior Member tatertot91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Coral Springs, Fl
    Posts
    5,773

    Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird-WS6 View Post
    im having problems with my rad level sensor, it leaking....had an idea to put some silicone around it BUT may start a whole new problem if i ever have to replace it

    keep us updated on your problem and what the fix was tater
    I will update as soon as i know more.
    Good luck with your issue as well.

  10. #10
    Veteran 0rion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    ohio
    Posts
    22,520

    98 Formula
    06 duramax

    the odds of 3 sensors going out is pretty low....check the wiring and like pajeff said, check for corrosion or something. Could just be the sensor but it sounds like you have another issue.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Help: 1991 camaro z28 coolant temperature gauge
    By 1991CamaroZ28 in forum General Help
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-08-2010, 08:06 PM
  2. 3 pin temperature sensor
    By jasonblinn in forum General Help
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-09-2010, 07:52 AM
  3. Coolant Temperature Sensor
    By ERICV82GO in forum External Engine
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-07-2006, 08:43 PM
  4. Temperature Sensor
    By vettes1st in forum General Help
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-10-2006, 06:31 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •