black
    2002 camaro z28

Talking coolant sensor stopped working

2002 z28 75,000 basically stock, borla cat back, high flow cats ,slp lid. no tunes yet.

I just put on a SLP air lid on my car. Before doing so I disconnected the negative and positive battery cables and installed the SLP lid. I hooked the battery back up and drove around and got on it pretty good , seems a little faster and better throttle responce. But afterI started heading back home I noticed that the coolant temp gauge is at the lowest reading as if I just started it in the morning. I pulled over and shut the car of looked over the engine. I restarted it and for a moment maybe 2 or 3 seconds the gauge read at about 200 or 210 like normal ,but then bottomed out like it was cold. The car seems to idle and run strong. Could the slp lid install have caused this I only unplugged the MAF and IAC but maybe when I disconnected the battery somthing happened..I also did a plug and wire change a few weeks back. and unplugged the coolant temp sensor during the change but plugged it back in and it worked fine since then....Should I just replace the sensor?? Thank you

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

First, check if you have heat. If you do have heat, then the sensor is bad.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Eh, dont check for heat, Take the cap off the radiator for coolant. If its full, drain some coolant, take out the sensor and clean it. It should fix it. If not, flush the system and replace the sensor.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by JoshieDoom View Post
    Eh, dont check for heat, Take the cap off the radiator for coolant. If its full, drain some coolant, take out the sensor and clean it. It should fix it. If not, flush the system and replace the sensor.
    you're referring to the level sensor.....he's referring to the temp sensor. Normally when that temp sensor goes out the car will run like ass as soon as it goes to closed loop. Is the car running super rich? My buddies vette had that problem and it would basically flood itself out as soon as it went to closed loop.

Check to be sure the ECT sensor connector is on tight. Is the MIL on for an ECT code? No low coolant sensor on your year.

black
    2002 camaro z28

Talking fixed

I fixed it!!!!
    It ended up being the wires for coolant temp sensor at connector they were a little twisted up. I changed my plugs and wires a couple of weeks back and unplugged the sensor so I did'nt break it while I was changing out number 1 plug ,I thought that I might hit it with the ractchet and break it ...After untwisting it the gauge on the dash started reading correct again. My car is running nice and strong now....Thanks for all the help eveyone.

Thread Information