Thread: coolant leaking

96red 99 blue
    96camaross 99camaross

coolant leaking

My low coolant light came on my 96 Camaro SS and so I added some coolant. The next day I was driving the car and it came back on. I replaced the low coolant sensor. The car is not running hot. The fans come on. I let the car idle and it never got hot but when I cut it off the car began making gurgle noises and the reservoir leaked coolant out of the top. So that is where it leaks. So I replaced the coolant temperature sensor, the three relays for the fans, the radiator cap plus the thermostat. That didn't seem to help. Can anybody help me out? Thanks so much

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Sounds like you might have a head gasket leak. The burbling sound you're hearing after you shut the engine off could be cylinder pressure escaping into the cooling system through the head gasket, causing air to enter the system and bubble up in the reservior.

It is also possible that the coolant level sensor went bad (common prob) and you overfilled the coolant thinking it was low, therefore causing the reservior to overflow with the excess coolant. The air in the system could just be a coincidence.

Have the system checked with a pressure tester, that will tell you for sure.
    1998 Trans Am WS6 SGM
    Lid, Pro 5.0, WS6 Short Stick, LS7 Clutch, TB Bypass, Detroit TrueTrac, Poly Mounts, Bilstein Shocks, LS6 Intake, SFCs, CTS-V Brake Upgrade, STB, Nitto 555's. SS Longtube Headers and True Duals w/ H pipe and Magnaflows. Tuned by Harris Speed Works. 341.4WHP/346.1 lb/ft.

Thread Information