Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

console vibration and noise

Hi guys. I'm having a problem here that i can't figure out. As you all know i tried to do my torque arm and relocation cross member. I bought the ones from UMI. Stock style full lenght TA and A4 torque arm relocation cross member. I put them together and i had alot of clearance issues. I decided to test them individualy and see if something works better.

The UMI torque arm by itself connected to the stock mount(by the tranny) works perfect no problems. Of course this TA don't flex so i don't want it to stay connected to the stock mount. So I took it off before i start having issues in the future.

I reinstalled the UMI A4 relocation cross member. I made clearance so the cross member is not hitting anywhere in the floor board. I installed the OEM TA with the poly bushing. When I shift to drive or reverse I can hear a feel a small vibration, not a big deal but when i drive the car and i'm crusing around 40-50 mph I can hear a strong vibration in the center console and under the floor area. The vibration get even louder when I slowly accelerate between 40-50 mph. The noise is constant. When I drive to 85-90 mph (just testing) the noise is back but louder, the console and shifter vibrates.

This is the same type of vibration that we get when we replace the trany mount with a poly one, been there done that. I ended up buying a stock trany mount and using that. I checked the tranny mount and it looks good. It's only like a year old. i checked to see if something is making contact with the crossmember and the only thing I saw was one of the metal fuel lines. I put a piece of rubber in between to insulate it. i dont' see anything else touching or hiting the new crossmember. The only thing I could think of is that the cross member is not the same height as OEM. UMI says is a bolt on. I send them an email and waiting on answer.

Any ideas on what's going on? thanks in advance.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

i would get an alignment done just to be safe... also i'd put the poly trans mount back in... i hae very very little vibration from my poly trans mount and poly engine mounts... also did you make sure you torqued the bolts to the specs they list???

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

thanks for the reply. Yes I'm sure I did the troque specs for the rear bolts. the trany cross member i tighten down pretty hard. the torque specs in the instructions is 40-50 pounds for the crossmember bolts. i will double check them.

UMI email me back saying that my pinion angle is off. It appears that the UMI cross member is not the same height specs as the OEM. i'm wondering if maybe with a shimming plate i can this to work. They told me to try an aftermarket trany mount and/or getting an adjustable TA. I don't have poly engine mount and I keep reading that is a no no to use poly trany mount with OEM engine mounts.

I wish I spend the extra money on the adjustable setup but stupid me. the other thing that gets me is that they have the cross member listed as it can be used with the stock TA. How Im going to adjust the pinion angle with the stock TA? Is there is a way? Should i try the poly trany mount? or just give up and sell all the stuff? I'm going to visit a friend of mine that does alingments and see if he can help me. Thanks.

Hello Jay
    Like I mentioned over the phone, Check to see what your pinon angle. If you have any other questions or issues feel free to give me a call and I will be more than glad to help.
    Thanks
    Brad

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

thanks Brad. i will keep you posted. trying to see if any other members had this problem.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

now that I looked at this pic again I can see that the pinion angle be off. The new location of the bushing is lower. If the UMI stock type TA is the as the OEM which I think it is then I need to raise the bushing. I'm going to play with this tomorrow.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

After looking at the TA in relation to the original bushing mounting point in the trany vs the new location per UMI cross member is the pretty close to the same. What I had found is that the UMI cross member drops the trany 7/16" at the mount. i confirmed this by switch the cross members and measuring from the ground floor to a common point in the tranny.

I'm going to go get a spacer around 7/16" to 1/4" and shim the trany. I'm not sure if a 1/4" makes the pinion angle to be off to cause vibrations but right now I know is not at factory specs this might be my problem.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

I went to home depot and got me 2 piece of metal that together equal about 1/4" thick. The have a hole in the middle so is kinda convenient.

http://i811.photobucket.com/albums/z...8/DSC02300.jpg

I was able to use them to shim the trany to the stock height with stock mount.

http://i811.photobucket.com/albums/z...m/DSC02303.jpg

I went for a ride and the vibration at 45-50 mph is gone. I get very slight vibration aroung 95-100 mph. I think i might have to move the TA bushing one hole up in the relocation cross member because it sits abit low since the shims were installed. I will move it up one hole and that will put it in the stock height in relation with the OEM location.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Nice work!!! I think you're on the right track here.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Thanks Cutlass. It just shows you that you always have to check everything. I move the TA to the next hole and it kinda felt worse. I put back in the initial hole. I will take it to my buddy that does alignments. He told me he can help me check and set the pinion angle correctly. I put my UMI non adjustable torque arm on ebay. If I get it sold then I will consider selling the relocation bracket and getting the adjustable brace setup.

Thread Information