Cold Weather, Thermostat, or Clutch?

This is a discussion on Cold Weather, Thermostat, or Clutch? within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; My car has been in front of my house undriven for a while now, after the ice storm it litterally ...

Davenport, Iowa

Bright Red
    1999 Trans Am Ws6

Cold Weather, Thermostat, or Clutch?

My car has been in front of my house undriven for a while now, after the ice storm it litterally had two inches of ice around each tire, we ended up putting a chain on the rear axle and eazing it out. I drove it to work last night and it worked fine, except an SES code came on. It sat out all night in 5 degree weather. This morning I started it, went to take off, put it in first(manual 6) and let clutch out, the engine bogged way way down and shuddered, I gave it more and more gas, then finally holy shit the tires started spinning, and the rpms went straight to near red line. It was like that in all gear, bog and shudder until a certain gas then it caught like the clutch was letting go till a certain point. I noticed on the ride home also it only got HALF as hot as it usually does. In summer the temp was little over half way, now I am dead on the quarter line. Think my thermostat is wide open? Or cold clutch? Cold engine? I have to go find out what the ses code is later.

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar
    Bragg NC

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

Once you get the code post it up and we can help ya a bit more. Did you happen to check your coolant to make sure it wasnt frozen?
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

Thread Information