Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Cold feet...LS6 or 6.0L?

This is a discussion on Cold feet...LS6 or 6.0L? within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by 9T8W66 This is my opinion aswell and a route I was thinking of going. You could do ...

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

Quote Originally Posted by 9T8W66 View Post
    This is my opinion aswell and a route I was thinking of going.
    You could do a simple cam/valvespring swap on the LS6 before it goes in also.

Too bad they don't have a Goodwrench LS2 long block available cause that would be the way to go.
    They do lol its sold on crate engine depot and its $3500 after the core charge deduction for a rebuilt one or its $4600 after the core for a new one its right on their website if you wanna check it out. The ls2 does make a little more torque under the curve but from everyone ive talked to with them in ctsv's no one can tell the difference and the cars run similar times. Only advantage to the ls2 is a bigger stroker kit and the ability to run l92 heads. My ls6 is going to be in front of a stock auto for now so before a cam I'll be doing a stall have a mid 11sec car that sounds stock lol if I'm still not satisfied I may look at a small cam eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by redbird555 View Post
    They do lol its sold on crate engine depot and its $3500 after the core charge deduction for a rebuilt one or its $4600 after the core for a new one its right on their website if you wanna check it out. The ls2 does make a little more torque under the curve but from everyone ive talked to with them in ctsv's no one can tell the difference and the cars run similar times. Only advantage to the ls2 is a bigger stroker kit and the ability to run l92 heads. My ls6 is going to be in front of a stock auto for now so before a cam I'll be doing a stall have a mid 11sec car that sounds stock lol if I'm still not satisfied I may look at a small cam eventually.
    Frost even mentioned that the crate LS6's routinely make more HP on his dyno than the crate LS2's.

Quote Originally Posted by ijtsox-ls1 View Post
    i just got a ls6 long block and im switching over any suggestions for easy bolt on upgrades like shorty headers (brands, prices), i have a borla exhaust its a 98 auto 373 gears new tranny slp lip. i think thats all. any suggestions budget minded??
    Not much you can do that is budget minded. The first thing that comes to my mind is stick a nice stall converter in it. Easy to do now that the engine is being swapped.
    I didn't catch where you are from, but long tube headers would be the way to go if you don't have to worry about visual emission checks. I generally don't prefer shorties, although I have used them in the past for retro swaps.
    An LS6 intake for the LS6 swap is a good idea if you don't already have one. Free mods, ported throttle body are about the cheapest things you can do. Afterwards a good tune goes a long way.

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Frost even mentioned that the crate LS6's routinely make more HP on his dyno than the crate LS2's.
    I've seen that too on corvettes ls2's usually max out around 380 and as said the ls6 will reach 400. I'd probably attribute the higher peak numbers to the bigger cam in a smaller cube motor though.
    Not much you can do that is budget minded. The first thing that comes to my mind is stick a nice stall converter in it. Easy to do now that the engine is being swapped.
    I didn't catch where you are from, but long tube headers would be the way to go if you don't have to worry about visual emission checks. I generally don't prefer shorties, although I have used them in the past for retro swaps.
    An LS6 intake for the LS6 swap is a good idea if you don't already have one. Free mods, ported throttle body are about the cheapest things you can do. Afterwards a good tune goes a long way.
    ^^This basically do all the bolt on mods an ls1 would get, lid, exhaust, long tube headers, and a good tune, maybe an underdrive pulley if youve got spare cash.

Black
    2000 SS

Quote Originally Posted by BashamWS6 View Post
    Yeah. I think i just got a little power hungry.
    After driving the 3.4L Monte Carlo....my ws6 feels a hell of alot better.
    After this ls6 and some suspension goodies....im thinking forged and procharge'd

....what? Its good to dream...
    If you go forged later on your basically rebuilding the motor you just purchased = Waste of money!

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

This is true but ls motor dont handle boost too badly with a little thicker head gasket to lower compression people run 10lbs of boost very regularly without issues. Its all in the tune. But that can be done when the time is right for now he will be fine with the bolt on ls6.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

Can you get the block (-) the heads and Intake from Crate Depot?

If you can and it's cheaper I'd be interested because I planned on changing those Items anyways for the LS6 Intake I already have and get heads from TS&P with a MS5 cam.

autoconnectionllc.com 02transamce's Avatar

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

Not sure if you can buy a shortblock ls6 from crate engine depot.but you could call a chevy dealer and ask if it is sold that way.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post

If you can and it's cheaper I'd be interested because I planned on changing those Items anyways for the LS6 Intake I already have and get heads from TS&P with a MS5 cam.
    If you are going to do it that way, I'd just get a built short block ready to go from Texas Speed. I'd do an iron LQ motor to be exact. Then install the top end of your choice that way.

Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

Not surprising since the cams are different and the LS2 intake isn't as good a peice as the LS6 intake.
    Craig
    Semi Retired Street Racer
    2012 Lava Red Mustang GT Coupe Brembo/3.73's
    Build Date 3/17/11, Last Lava Red GT

Gone but not forgoten
    NBM `98 Formula M6 HdTp
    1 of 1 Build Date 3/12/98

Impounded
    I would love a LQ...but looks like ls6 is the better choice now.

Quote Originally Posted by 9T8W66 View Post
    Not surprising since the cams are different and the LS2 intake isn't as good a peice as the LS6 intake.
    Ya, alot of little things too. Lightweight valvetrain for better control, better crankcase ventalation, 1/2 point bump in compresson over the LS1's, not sure what the LS2 had. GM even talks about the combustion chamber design of the LS6 heads being specific to promote better mixture, all of which adds up.
    GM did alot of R&D on the LS6 for the Z06 debut. It's a well thought out little package where everything works good together. It runs amazingly well for what it is.

Since the LS2 is basically a 4 inch bore LS1, that may have an LS6 casting head but that's about as far as it goes. Not too much to get excited about

Quote Originally Posted by BashamWS6 View Post
    I would love a LQ...but looks like ls6 is the better choice now.
    I know what ya mean. I'd love to do a stroker LQ in one of our 4th gens, would be cool for sure. But it's just not what I currently use those cars for. My wifes is a driver, and mine hardly ever leaves the garage anymore.
    An LS6 crate would be more than enough for what I do with them.

I had even looked at these LS6 crates for a swap I'm doing in my 72 blazer, because I couldn't find a suitable 6.0 LQ engine for the longest time. One finally came my way though.

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

Well when you buy the longblock it doesnt come with an intake anyway so you could put whichever intake you want on it. BUt as said if you were gonna build a motor either pick one up from tsp or you could get an lq9 shortblock with lower miles for around 1k-1200.
    Ya, alot of little things too. Lightweight valvetrain for better control, better crankcase ventalation, 1/2 point bump in compresson over the LS1's, not sure what the LS2 had. GM even talks about the combustion chamber design of the LS6 heads being specific to promote better mixture, all of which adds up.
    GM did alot of R&D on the LS6 for the Z06 debut. It's a well thought out little package where everything works good together. It runs amazingly well for what it is.

Since the LS2 is basically a 4 inch bore LS1, that may have an LS6 casting head but that's about as far as it goes. Not too much to get excited about
    Ya I must say people underestimate the ls6 package GM did a lot of RD to make sure the cam they selected worked well with the displacement and head choice I mean the ls6 cam is still the highest lift and duration cam ever offered stock in an ls engine. I think if they would have spent the same amount of time and money into the ls2 it would outperform the ls6 much more in stock and modded forms. Think about it on paper the ls2 "should" be better it has more cubes a similiar sized cam and even higher compression than the ls6 (10.9:1). Too bad gm put a crappy intake on it and an undersized cam.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

Well when you buy the longblock it doesnt come with an intake anyway so you could put whichever intake you want on it. BUt as said if you were gonna build a motor either pick one up from tsp or you could get an lq9 shortblock with lower miles for around 1k-1200.
    I've been looking at/lusting over a LS6 upgrade. But...If I don't care about the extra 60lbs a LQ9 would be a better option in the long run if I wanted to get a Procharger in a future build?

LQ9 are they the same as a LS6, just that it is an iron block not aluminum correct?

I've been looking at/lusting over a LS6 upgrade. But...If I don't care about the extra 60lbs a LQ9 would be a better option in the long run if I wanted to get a Procharger in a future build?

LQ9 are they the same as a LS6, just that it is an iron block not aluminum correct?
    LQ4 and the LQ9 are identical engines with the only exception being the LQ9 has a 1/2 point bump in compression (9.4 verses 10:1). Same heads, but the LQ4 had a dished piston while the LQ9 had a flat top.
    If you were doing a procharger build, the LQ4 would be the better choice.

They are very different from the LS6. Aside from the 4" bore, the LQ4's and LQ9's used #317 head castings, which are patterned off the LS6 port designs but that's about as far as that goes. They also run the smaller truck camshafts that were also installed in the 01-02 Fbodies (.460/.470 lift roughly) Unless you get into the Cadillac Escalades, which are said to have a more aggressive camshaft and a higher HP rating.

But in a nutshell, yes the LQ engines will physically bolt right in place of your aluminum engine.

The LQ motors are getting harder to find with low miles, if you don't plan a rebuild, such as my case. I searched a long time and was about to give up and go with something else. I finally found an 04 LQ4 with 80k on it, but it cost $1400.
    You can find them cheaper with much higher mileage, which wouldn't matter if you were going to tear it down anyway. Nice thing about them, is they can be bored .040 over or more. Can't say the same for a high mileage LS1 engine.

Ya I must say people underestimate the ls6 package GM did a lot of RD to make sure the cam they selected worked well with the displacement and head choice I mean the ls6 cam is still the highest lift and duration cam ever offered stock in an ls engine. I think if they would have spent the same amount of time and money into the ls2 it would outperform the ls6 much more in stock and modded forms. Think about it on paper the ls2 "should" be better it has more cubes a similiar sized cam and even higher compression than the ls6 (10.9:1). Too bad gm put a crappy intake on it and an undersized cam.
    Ain't that the truth. I agree, on paper you would think the LS2 would be superior with it's larger bore and more compression. And it probably has more potential in the long run if you want to throw some money at it.
    The intake and cam is hurting it.

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

I agree with jones if its not an issue the lq4 would be considered bettter for boost simply because of compression. I seem to get the impression that people think since the ls block is aluminum it cant handle boost which is a bad misconception while it cant handle as much a a iron counterpart people still routinely boost aluminum engine to 10-12lbs without problems. If you were planning a boost build in the near future then I'd do an lq4 with an appropriate blower cam and have at it. However if this is more of a future build and you want great power now then the ls6 combo might be for you its a great package as stated. Eventually when you want you can put a larger gasket on the heads, lower compression and boost it 10lbs safely on a good tune, plus the ls6 cam loves boost with its wide lsa and you'd still save the weight on the block. Really the only reason I see to have an iron block engine if your planning a budget build and you dont already have an aluminum block or if your building some nasty monster 408 where you need the extra stroker cubs and bore dia for head options.
    The LQ motors are getting harder to find with low miles, if you don't plan a rebuild, such as my case. I searched a long time and was about to give up and go with something else. I finally found an 04 LQ4 with 80k on it, but it cost $1400.
    You can find them cheaper with much higher mileage, which wouldn't matter if you were going to tear it down anyway. Nice thing about them, is they can be bored .040 over or more. Can't say the same for a high mileage LS1 engine.
    That is true I wish they put bigger sleeves in them, although I think modern ls blocks can be bored .030 starting with the ls2.

Black
    1999 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by My00Z28 View Post
    IMO the 408 is worth every penny i was looking in to doing it but i just cant afford it right now... the cast iron block may weigh more but the power u can make with it is awesome... and if u keep the compression low enough to boost...then its another story.... the problem is u wont be done at $5750.... u will need a clutch, driveshaft, 9in or 12bolt, idk if the t-56 will be able to handle much over 450HP neither? the heads and cam package should come with everything but im not sure about the rockers?

the ls6 is a great motor but i believe building the ls6 in the end will cost much more in the end... 408 all the way IMHO!!!!
    i thought the t-56 could handle it cause didnt even the srt-10 vipers use it with 450-550 hp

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information